Best Ways to Remove Scabs

Hi guys.

I'm at Day 8 now and haven't yet removed scabs. The clinic I went to advised that I should remove scabs between days 7-10, yet it just appears as one immovable slab at the moment. I'm applying moisturizer, but have yet to see a "breakthrough" moment when they can be safely removed without damaging follicles.

I plan on following the recommendations from the surgery, but just wondering what you personally felt helped the process move along? 

Also, one thing I noticed is that in other hair transplant reviews, peoples transplanted hairs etc. seemed to grow much longer. Mine seem very short / black stubs etc. Is this normal?

Get in the shower, let them soak under warm water.  Use whatever shampoo you typically use and start massaging the scalp  with the tips of your fingers.  At this point you do not need to be gentle.  You can not harm the grafts.

With regards to hair length, I would wait 6 months before we answer that. It will be 3-4 months before the hair starts growing, (it is the time the follicle needs to reincorporate into the blood supply).  

• Like 1

I find it worrying that the clinic did not show you how to do this prior to you leaving.... What clinic did you use??

Each clinic usually has a slightly different method. You should ask the clinic you used.
Soaking in the shower and washing lightly with baby shampoo helps.

22 minutes ago, Mr S said:

I find it worrying that the clinic did not show you how to do this prior to you leaving.... What clinic did you use??

Each clinic usually has a slightly different method. You should ask the clinic you used.
Soaking in the shower and washing lightly with baby shampoo helps.

Hi Mr S.

To the contrary, I was given extensive instruction on what to do etc.

Even still, I'm paranoid about being too aggressive or waiting too early etc. The issue is more me than anything.

Maltese, 

Let the warm water in the shower loosen them up a bit, and then scrub with your fingertips -- not fingernails -- and some shampoo. This should remove the majority of them. Sometimes you do get one or two stubborn scabs that are not ready to come off. It is okay to leave these for a bit until they are ready to break free. However, typically this should only be one or two. If you have a lot of these left, you probably have not scrubbed hard enough. 

Also, please share some images here if you can. This will allow the community to provide more accurate advise as to whether or not you are washing hard enough. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.