18 days post-op FUE Recipient area care while showering

Hello all I am currently 18 days post-op FUE and was wondering if anyone with experience started to shampoo and massage your recipient area like you would pre-surgery? I dont know why but I am still very gentle on massaging and cleaning the recipient area when i shower and Im afraid I may not be using enough force to get all these little tiny white crusts/flakes out of the scalp. I feel like I have a mental barrier that I can't pass because of just being delicate about the grafts post op surgery. 

My question is: were you guys still very gentle on the recipient area this many days post op? Or did you just resume your normal showering routine massaging everywhere like you would when you shampoo your hair?

1 hour ago, shookwon33 said:

Hello all I am currently 18 days post-op FUE and was wondering if anyone with experience started to shampoo and massage your recipient area like you would pre-surgery? I dont know why but I am still very gentle on massaging and cleaning the recipient area when i shower and Im afraid I may not be using enough force to get all these little tiny white crusts/flakes out of the scalp. I feel like I have a mental barrier that I can't pass because of just being delicate about the grafts post op surgery. 

My question is: were you guys still very gentle on the recipient area this many days post op? Or did you just resume your normal showering routine massaging everywhere like you would when you shampoo your hair?

Went totally normal.  I'll let you know how it works out in 8 months lol.  

Is there some overwhelming desire to scrub your head?  Why not play it safe?  I went at least 2 months with just putting shampoo on and rinsing, and letting it air dry.  You just paid a kings ransom to get the implants and you can't be gentle for a little while. 

• Like 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

58 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Is there some overwhelming desire to scrub your head?  Why not play it safe?  I went at least 2 months with just putting shampoo on and rinsing, and letting it air dry.  You just paid a kings ransom to get the implants and you can't be gentle for a little while. 

@Dazed This is my exact mindset as well. I do want to play it safe. But the reason i ask this was because I had heard if you don't clean the recipient area "well enough" then the lingering mini flakes and sebum build up on the scalp in the recipient area can inhibit growth... There is no desire for my to scrub my head, I absolutely want to just put shampoo on it, rinse it and just let it air dry lol. I just want to make sure

I would pat the shampoo on, let it sit a minute, and then completely rinse by using a Big Gulp cup filled with warm water.  I never had any problems, but I did spend a lot of time rinsing.

• Like 1

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

I takes a lot to dislodge a graft.  The first few days are critical but I've heard most  doctors say that in 3 days all is fine. But, for the sake of siding on conservatism, patients are told in 7-10 days they can resume normal activity.  You can start patting down gently, (no scrubbing), as soon as the first day. (The recipient area.  The donor can be massaged gently). 

18 days is overkill...Not only that....if you still have crusts up there - you need to get them out of there.  At that point this becomes a hygiene issue that can lead to infection.

This brings up a good point. Do you realize that once all is done, procedure wise, you are still under the local?  I'll bet most patients, if not all, do not remember the post op instructions.  That's why most practices will give you typed up information.  Why not return the next day and have the staff wash the hair for you?  This service is typically included and should be highly suggested to all patients. It would help to reinforce/repeat the post op instructions.

Last...did they give you post op instructions?  Why not follow them?  

hi all I was interested in this also I was giving post op instructions and got my hair washed the next day. by pouring a bowl of water of your graph area they just said do this for the next few days. nothing was said about crusts etc I emailed my Doc the first day home and he said I can wash hair normal after 10 days nothing again about crusts I was just worried as some hair is attached to the crust and taught that might be graphs

Healing varies from person to person so much it is difficult to say X number of days.  The doctor would probably err on the side of caution, and say X days.  I carry it further and think X+ days instead of X- days.  What do you have to lose by being cautious?  Doing it my way I had no problem with crust, scabs, shedding or shock loss.  I can't say what I did is the answer, I can only say it works for me. 

17 minutes ago, shookwon33 said:

@Dazed You didn't go through a shed/ugly duckling phase?

Oh I was an Ugly Duckling alright, especially after FUE, but no I did not shed.  Matter of fact. I did not shed with either of my transplants.

Edited by Dazed