When could I stop using Propecia

I had my first HT las December(2003). Right after HT I started using Propecia and it has been working great. I was wondering for how long should I take it? It has been 6 months. Is there any problem if I stop using it? Is there a recomeded time of use?

Please advice.

I had my first HT las December(2003). Right after HT I started using Propecia and it has been working great. I was wondering for how long should I take it? It has been 6 months. Is there any problem if I stop using it? Is there a recomeded time of use?

Please advice.

The Dr. told me that you should take it as long as you want to keep your existing hairs...when you stop taking it, those hairs that are predisposed to falling out will...so treat it like a multivitamin...also see if you can get on proscar instead of propecia...same product but definately cheaper, and covered by most drug plans whereas propecia is not as it is rated as cosmetic.

Cheers

Is it 6 months yet??

• 4 weeks later...

Gandalf,

It should have been explained to you that Propecia is not something you take for a while and then stop with the expectation of it continuing to work. Propecia is something that you take for as long as you wish to keep your new hair growth or the hair you already have. Should you decide to cease it's use then you will lose any hair that you have saved or any hair that has begun to grow back. Your grafts will be safe though as they should not be affected.

I n other words Jo, your saying if your hair has quit falling out and when you have a HT then you probably wouldnm't have to take it. Am I correct/

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on proscar for 5 years and it really helped me maintaing my hair or at least slow the loss considerably down. But around March/April I decided to quit because I was getting worried about side effects. In the beginning I cut it back to every other day and after a while stopped taking it.

Results were disastrous!!!! I lost so much hair in these 2 month that I'm considering a hair transplant now. Before that my loss was quite bearable. I got immediately back on and since then my loss steadied again.

So, do NOT stop taking proscar/propecia! You will lose your hair in about no time! Believe me!

cheers, M-J

• 2 weeks later...

There have been some recent questions about Rogaine and Propecia in the last couple of days so I *bumped* this thread so it can be better seen and doesn't get lost in the mix. I really feel that it should be stressed to everyone that both Minoxidil and Finasteride are not medications that can be started and stopped at convenience. They must be diligently taken and applied with a strong commitment for as long as the hair loss sufferer wishes to maintain his (or in the case of just Minoxidil, her) hair. It has been proven time and time again that an abrupt halt of these medications will almost certainly lead to shedding. This happened to me personally and I do not wish for it to happen to anyone else because of a lack of knowledge. I do not think that this information is being divulged by some doctors (probably family practitioners) at the time Propecia is prescribed and who knows how many people take Minoxidil without thoroughly reading the directions and precautions?

-Robert

As forum moderator and a Patient Advocate for the Coalition I'm available to answer any questions.

To view animations and videos and learn about leading hair restoration physicians visit http://www.regrowhair.com/our_physicians.asp

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I've been taking 1/4 proscar for a year now and have been given free addittional samples of propecia upon visiting with different fu docs.My question is..........can you take both togetther or will there be an inverse affect?Also,since I still have some saw palmetto,can I take this as well with my multi and MSM?

Question is: why would you want to take both Proscar AND Propecia? This is the same product in a different pill! The recommended dosage is 1g per day (whether it's Proscar or Propecia) & studies show that increasing it won't give additional benefits. Use your Propecia samples and continue your Proscar regimen afterwards.

I'm not a saw palmetto fan so I'll let others comment on that one. I can just tell you that MSM is pretty harmless and you can take whatever other vitamin or med you want at the same time.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Solid,

Everything Hairworthy said is accurate. There is no reason to take the Propecia samples and Proscar at the same time. You can just substitute one for the other as long as the dosage is the same (or approximated, as many take 1.25 mg Proscar since that is 1/4 of the pill).

It has been my understanding that Saw Palmetto acts similarly to Finasteride (the active ingredient in Proscar and Propecia) in reference to the prostate, however, I have seen no conclusive evidence that it at all effective on hairloss. If anyone else knows more about Saw Palmetto, feel free to add to my knowledge.

You should definitely be fine taking the multivitamin, MSM, and 1 to 1.25mg of Finasteride daily. As a matter of fact, throw in Minoxidil and thats about all I can think of that is PROVEN to be effective at growing lost hair or at least stagnating hair loss.

Good luck!

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

jk,

I am speculating that you will be ok with just a week off as long as it did not become a habit. It takes a while before those levels of finasteride to deteriorate from your body...at least a couple of days. You did not say if you are already out, but maybe you can minimize any potential hazard by spreading out your remaining supply over that week (that is, if you are not already out).

More on Propecia and other hair loss medications

-Robert