Community Second Opinion

Hi team,

Thanks for the help in advance!  I'm seriously considering a hair transplant (I know, my hair loss isn't as bad) and have been for a while.  Probably NW2 and have been losing hair for 6 years.  I had to come off finasteride quickly years ago because of side effets but have been using topical MORR-5 recently. 

I am 27 and am hoping this hair transplant will carry me into my 30s.  My entire family on both sides is bald, my younger brother has already had a hair transplant.  I was wondering if I could cause any damage by going through with this?

I've had a consult with a surgeon in Turkey recommended on this forum who proposed 2000-2400 FUE frontally and along the temples.  I am hoping with a trasnplant and then resuming my MORR-5 I can have a good outcome.  My question is are there truly bad potential effects from going through with this?  I realize the chance of shock hair loss in the frontal area is small, and unlikely permanent, but wanted to get more opinions before I pull the trigger.  I realize I won't know my full extent of hair loss.  

And if I decide to go through with it, any suggestions when consulting with the actual surgeon/things to make sure of?

Thanks so much guys. 

Pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

• Administrators

How aggressive are you trying to be? I think it would be foolish to try and lower it and make the hairline straight if you know you have aggressive loss in your family history. 

It’s important you plan a long term strategy.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

How aggressive are you trying to be? I think it would be foolish to try and lower it and make the hairline straight if you know you have aggressive loss in your family history. 

It’s important you plan a long term strategy.

Thanks for the feedback!  I guess I’m definitely trying to be more aggressive at this point. My hair loss has fared better than most in my family to this point plus no one else used topical finasteride or rogaine. I realize I will require another procedure most likely, but my hair loss has slowed or stopped over the past year with this regimen.  Long term strategy wuse, do I risk depleting my donor area is what you’re saying?  Is 2000-2400 too much?

4 minutes ago, Aftermath said:

Any reason other than cost that you’re considering turkey?  Dr koray is probably the best regarded in turkey and there’s been unhappy customers even from them recently. 

The results I saw have been impressive from Dr. koray which is why, a good mix of value and results.  Oh really?  Unsatisfied in which ways?  That’s good to hear. 

You're still fairly young and if there is aggressive baldness in your family, I suppose the question is will the topical finasteride in MORR-5 be enough to stabilise your hair loss. How long have you been using it and do you feel it has done anything for you?

You have to ask yourself what if you find yourself in a situation where the topical finasteride doesn't prove to be potent enough to halt/slow down hair loss and it progresses and you don't/can't take oral fin. You could end up getting a HT now with 2000-2400 grafts in the frontal region but good chance of you losing hair behind it as you get older, especially if there is a history aggressive balding in your family. If you lower the hairline, you've in effect increased the real estate that needs covering when further loss behind the hairline sets in.

Not sure where you are located but personally if I was in your shoes, I'd be tempted in getting at least one consultation with a reputable surgeon and get your hair checked out for miniaturisation before commiting to any procedure.

53 minutes ago, brookest said:

Thanks for the feedback!  I guess I’m definitely trying to be more aggressive at this point. My hair loss has fared better than most in my family to this point plus no one else used topical finasteride or rogaine. I realize I will require another procedure most likely, but my hair loss has slowed or stopped over the past year with this regimen.  Long term strategy wuse, do I risk depleting my donor area is what you’re saying?  Is 2000-2400 too much?

The results I saw have been impressive from Dr. koray which is why, a good mix of value and results.  Oh really?  Unsatisfied in which ways?  That’s good to hear. 

I don’t pay that much attention to Turkish doctors in all honesty, but people were saying he wasn’t using microscopes to disect the grafts and a lot of people were getting multis in the hairline which looks terrible, I did hear they now use microscopes so maybe that’s been sorted. If I had to go to a Turkish doctor he’s the one I’d choose, but personally unless money is tight if go somewhere else, your donor is finite and if it does go south, not only have you lost grafts but you also have to pay out again for a repair. A lot of people may not agree with me and I agree there have been some good results, but it’s a very mixed bag in turkey imo 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, brookest said:

I personally don't think going aggressive is a good idea. While you may not be losing hair at the same rate as your family, it may still be in your genetics to go extensively bald. You're not even 30 yet, a lot can change. I'm not saying don't have a procedure, but trying to low the hairline too much and make it look like an adolescent hairline whilst having norwood 6 balding on both sides of your family isn't the best use for grafts.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I personally don't think going aggressive is a good idea. While you may not be losing hair at the same rate as your family, it may still be in your genetics to go extensively bald. You're not even 30 yet, a lot can change. I'm not saying don't have a procedure, but trying to low the hairline too much and make it look like an adolescent hairline whilst having norwood 6 balding on both sides of your family isn't the best use for grafts.

Perfect I didn’t want to lower it too much honestly just trying to fill in some of the temples. How many grafts would you have estimated that to be?  I was surprised at the 2000-2400 estimate feeling it was high. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, brookest said:

Perfect I didn’t want to lower it too much honestly just trying to fill in some of the temples. How many grafts would you have estimated that to be?  I was surprised at the 2000-2400 estimate feeling it was high. 

2,000-2,4000 sounds about right for a hairline. However, filling in the temples could probably be done with less grafts. I don't know if the surgeon plans to reinforce your forelock and maybe that's where the additional grafts will go. Consult with several surgeons. Never go by what one surgeon says.

View my thread

A very ethical Surgical protocol by a doctor is key.  Do not go aggressive here.  Age 27 and norwood 2, there is no indicator where you will be at age 35 considering your family is bald.  Going through with this at this stage can cause greater damage then good. Trust me on that one.  If only some folks can turn back time.  At least try to take meds for a year or two or past 30 to see how you would react and what if you gain hair?.  Because Once you get in that chair, there’s no turning back.   At least ask the surgeons what is their gaurantee if it fails.  Do they force you to go through multiple repair priceduresuntil they get it right or do they fully refund your money.  As per folks in government, it is a valid question to ask anyone you are doing business with,but make sure they respond in writing.   Also, ask for a copy of actual surgical consent forms prior to paying any deposit for surgery.  Best of luck with everything.

Thank you. I keep reading this could do more harm than good. Assuming planning for future surgeries and not depleting your donor supply excessively, what are some of the other harms vs benefit? 

And does anyone have any other surgeons they would recommend?  I live in the states. 

Possible harms if done unethically and irresponsiblly—-

1) permanent shockloss

2) irregular donor depletion with patches of loss in donor

3) necrosis

4) nerve damage

5) cobblestoning 

6) ridging 

7) irregular fake looking hairline

8- hairline with uneven density 

9) i can keep going...

benefit- it can turn out well but in your case you may need to chase multiple procedures when you lose more hair as you age

some surgeons you might want to start off or get free consults with in North America - Bloxham, Lindsey, Hasson Wong, Baubac, Konior, Col, Cooley, Shapiro, Gabel, there are more. But start and see what they recommend and how they each differentiate.  Best of luck.  

I certainly do not want anyone to suffer or go through the painful aspects of an unfinished procedure due to repairs which have not answered any goals.  Be careful and try not fall for any hype or marketing presented by any surgeon.  This surgery is a surgery to the most visible part of your body, your scalp and ultimately, your face.