Can Shampooing Your Hair After A Hair Transplant Affect Growth

• Administrators

Hey Guys,

So it's fairly common knowledge that for the first few weeks you are to wash with baby shampoo and not directly under the shower head, but what about after? What are your guys thoughts when did most of you return to showering normal? For me it was around the 3rd week.

Can Shampooing My Hair After A Hair Transplant Effect The Growth?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Personally, it took me approximately 10 to 14 days to get back to my normal showering routine. Now, it was probably by day five or six that I  was able to remove most of the scabs but I was still very cautious when shampooing the top of my scalp and the donor area.  

But I know that every surgeon provides slightly different postoperative instructions. Some doctors suggest you don’t even begin working on his gab removal until one week to 10 days after surgery. So I’m curious what other people have to say. 

Best,

Bill

I did the same as Bill, as per my doc's instructions. At day 12 or so I started washing my hair under the shower with baby shampoo. At times quite vigourously. I remember reading a thread on here about the length of time the grafts take to fully anchor. In one instance, a surgeon reported that his patient came back to the office the next day after surgery requesting some to be removed. The surgeon said it took considerable force with forceps to get the graft out. So I think after 12 days you will definitely be fine.