Graph Density Post Surgery

Seanson’s greetings all

Scheduled for surgery early 2019 (frontal & temporal 2500 graphs) and would appreciate the forum’s guidance re minimum graph density to the transplanted area after surgery. On various threads it seems to vary from 30 - 60 graphs per cm2 - my surgeon is advising that 40 - 45 graphs is the target and will achieve a good result. My donor hair is dark brown, 68 microns with a slight curve. I have 10,000+ donor graphs available so should I push for greater density? Thanks 

Are the proposed recipient areas completely barren of any hair or do you have some native hair present?

Did you ask your surgeon how he came to that decision of proposed grafted density?

Do you have some pics that we can see to offer some recommendations?

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

Are the proposed recipient areas completely barren of any hair or do you have some native hair present?

Did you ask your surgeon how he came to that decision of proposed grafted density?

Do you have some pics that we can see to offer some recommendations?

09F1F0A5-7297-4B4B-9F31-5E1BD521813A.jpeg

5AF89813-5A90-4206-B958-087673C26E8B.jpeg

First image is my hair combed to one side to expose the balding area the second is how my hair normally sits, I’m 56 years old. Surgeon’s justification to 40-45 graphs was beyond that number the blood supply struggles. 

Based on the area drawn in red 2500 grafts at a density of roughly 45/cm sq seems reasonable. Who is the surgeon?

your hair thickness seems above average. To achieve the illusion of density it’s been said u need 50% or higher of ur native density. Do u know what ur native or donor density is?

14 hours ago, Kiwi Guy said:

you are lucky to have a 10k donor zone, congrats on that lol, i've read that you can get 70 to 80 grafts per cm2 but it can lead to complications, what surgeon have you chosen?

Scheduled with Dr Vila early 2019 who worked with Dr Lorenzo for nine years and did his transplants, has set up her own practice in Madrid a few months ago. I’ve been told that 78-80 grafts cm2 is completely unrealistic. I sort of agree as my donor area is currently 80. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jj51702 said:

Based on the area drawn in red 2500 grafts at a density of roughly 45/cm sq seems reasonable. Who is the surgeon?

your hair thickness seems above average. To achieve the illusion of density it’s been said u need 50% or higher of ur native density. Do u know what ur native or donor density is?

Surgeon is Dr Vila (see above post) native density is approx 80 graphs cm2, the red line was from another consultation in the UK and it’s not entirely to my liking but purely a guide, my aim for the consultation was to make sure I was a suitable candidate for a HT. I’m UK based and always accepted I was going to travel to get the right surgeon for me. 

7 hours ago, Raker said:

Scheduled with Dr Vila early 2019 who worked with Dr Lorenzo for nine years and did his transplants, has set up her own practice in Madrid a few months ago. I’ve been told that 78-80 grafts cm2 is completely unrealistic. I sort of agree as my donor area is currently 80. 

Awesome mate, good luck and keep us posted

Assuming you have an average of 2 hairs per graft and 45 grafts/cm2, this will give you a coverage value of 6.1 (caliber x number of hairs per graft x density). 5.4 is an acceptable coverage value that will give the illusion of full coverage. So you will be kore than okay with 45.

Thanks for the pics....and I agree that the blood supply can be compromised when grafting in the upper limits...yet some patients seem to do well with grafted densities above 45 cm2.

But here's the deal...you have a good base to start with and then you can always go back for a second procedure to raise the density level if you decide that is what you want....chances are greater that you will want that.

The nice thing is that you should realize higher yields having your restoration in 2 procedures verses one mega-session.

Based on your pics, you have good hair quality and I think you are going to experience a very nice result and transition...best wishes to you with your upcoming procedure!

And keep us in the loop...:)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

21 hours ago, Tiger1985 said:

Assuming you have an average of 2 hairs per graft and 45 grafts/cm2, this will give you a coverage value of 6.1 (caliber x number of hairs per graft x density). 5.4 is an acceptable coverage value that will give the illusion of full coverage. So you will be kore than okay with 45.

Here’s hoping, only time will tell. Thanks

1 hour ago, gillenator said:

Thanks for the pics....and I agree that the blood supply can be compromised when grafting in the upper limits...yet some patients seem to do well with grafted densities above 45 cm2.

But here's the deal...you have a good base to start with and then you can always go back for a second procedure to raise the density level if you decide that is what you want....chances are greater that you will want that.

The nice thing is that you should realize higher yields having your restoration in 2 procedures verses one mega-session.

Based on your pics, you have good hair quality and I think you are going to experience a very nice result and transition...best wishes to you with your upcoming procedure!

And keep us in the loop...:)

Cheers, not sure I want to do more than one procedure at my age but your comments are very much appreciated. Food for thought. 

i too am interested in this. i was told by dr nadimi, who was trained by dr konior, that anything more than 50 per square centimeter risks shock loss to native hair in the recipient area due to the lack of blood supply. i was surprised when i saw on dr keser's site that he's doing (or can do) 75 per square centimeter.

Anyone with native hair that provides visual coverage would not want to lose it by having an overly aggressive grafted procedure that can alternatively be done in smaller sessions.

Gillenator