Does Having Wavy Hair Make A Significant Difference in Creating The Illusion of Density?

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, hanginginthewire said:

I know it makes a difference but I’m wondering how much?  

Depends on the overall thickness of the hair shaft diameter. For example, I’ve been growing my beard for the past three months. The overall density is pretty good, but obviously not like the hair on your head. However, because the hair is so thick, you literally can’t see through it at all, it’s because thicker hair covers more surface area. So yes curly hair helps because the curl helps cover more surface area, but hair thickness is the most important factor for having an illusion of density.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I totally agree with Melvin...the degree of hair caliber will make all of the visual difference in the world out of all other factors considered.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Sure, thick/coarse hair trumps all and is probably the largest difference maker when it comes to your result versus someone else who gets the same number of grafts. However, having wavy hair is also a positive factor in the final appearance. My hair is on the finer side but I definitely have a wave (not curly, per se) and it helps a lot with coverage.-especially when grown out a couple inches. 

Having very straight hair (especially if you also happen to have fine hair) is one of those situations where it likely won’t cover anywhere near as well as if you had wavy hair. 

Edited by matt3480
  • Thanks 1

Wavy hair also helps hide issues with changes in hair direction after a HT procedure. Either due to graft angles in the recipient, or in the case of FUT, changes in hair direction where the upper and lower parts of the strip incision come together. 

• Thanks 1

Yep...the ideal would be ultimate hair caliber with a nice wave and narrow color contrast....;)

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:02 PM, gillenator said:

Yep...the ideal would be ultimate hair caliber with a nice wave and narrow color contrast....;)

I have massively thick/coarse AND wavy hair but I'm still not seeing much results after nearly 13,000 hairs were transplanted 5 months ago

• Administrators
9 hours ago, AnalogFeel said:

I have massively thick/coarse AND wavy hair but I'm still not seeing much results after nearly 13,000 hairs were transplanted 5 months ago

Can you post pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Analog,

After 5 months post-op, you should be seeing lots of new hair coming through...can you post some before and after pics?

Also, have you let your surgeon know about this?

Gillenator