Can Shock Loss From A Hair Transplant Be Prevented?

• Administrators

I have seen this question recently posted on the forum, while there is nothing a patient can do to fully prevent shock loss besides having less native hair, there are some medications the individual can take to make sure the shock loss isn't permanent. What have you guys tried?

Can Shock Loss From Hair Transplant Surgery Be Prevented?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Years ago I recall a doctor suggesting to a female to use Rogaine/laser therapy a couple of months prior to the procedure.  It seemed to minimize shock loss.  Not sure if this had anything to do with the fact that the patient did have minimal shock but the hair did return along with the transplanted hair.  Eventually the patient kept on using medical therapiesl to help with retention so I can not report on what would have happened if she had stopped the med treatments alltogether.  

• Administrators

I certainly feel that LLLT and minoxidil are worth trying if you suffer shock loss after a hair transplant.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Using non-surgical solutions like Rogaine, low level laser therapy and even Propecia may help minimize post operative hair transplant shock loss however, there is no guarantee that this will help. If they don’t, the good news is shock loss/telogen effluvium  is typically temporary and is usually only permanent if the hairs lost were already dying and on their way out due to male pattern baldness anyway. I remember being very concerned after at least two of my four hair transplants about shock loss but thankfully, all of the shocked hair did return. 

What is everyone’s opinion on this?   Don’t forget to click the link and read the article ? .

Best wishes, 

Bill

This was basically my understanding; that it may terminate dying hairs a bit prematurely but the healthy ones should grow back, which I assume is why I've seen some patients put on a finasteride and/or minoxidil regimen for a stretch prior to undergoing a transplant. I always figured in addition to the obvious need to stabilize natural loss that was a preventative measure to try to strengthen any native hair as much as possible to prevent shock loss.

Edited by Mycroft