Shock Loss Mitigation

Hi all,

What are the main factors for temporary shock loss after the procedure? I imagine weak, miniaturised, native hairs are the most vulnerable but what else? What can you do to mitigate/prevent this possibly happening? How long does it take for them to grow back? In the case of FUT, what about the donor area?

Thanks

The main factor for shock loss to occur is trauma to the scalp caused by the incisions and fluids that are injected.

Shock loss usually does not occur in the donor area but some have experienced it.

There is really nothing that can be done to mitigate it post-op.

The shocked follicles will rest for 3-4 months before a new growth cycle commences.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

There’s nothing a patient can do to avoid shock loss however, taking finasteride and minoxidil will ensure the shock loss isn’t permanent. Having less native hair generally reduces the chance of shock loss, but that’s not something you can help unless you wait to go balder.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

13 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

There’s nothing a patient can do to avoid shock loss however, taking finasteride and minoxidil will ensure the shock loss isn’t permanent. Having less native hair generally reduces the chance of shock loss, but that’s not something you can help unless you wait to go balder.

Hey Melvin, were you on minoxidil (liquid or foam?) pre and post your HT’s?....And, how soon before an HT procedure did you have to quite minoxidil and how soon after your HT procedure did you go back on minoxidil?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, VicTNYC said:

Hey Melvin, were you on minoxidil (liquid or foam?) pre and post your HT’s?....And, how soon before an HT procedure did you have to quite minoxidil and how soon after your HT procedure did you go back on minoxidil?

I was on minoxidil liquid before and after my procedure. I quit a week before and got back on after two weeks.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

30 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I was on minoxidil liquid before and after my procedure. I quit a week before and got back on after two weeks.

Thanks!

Did you encounter much more hair loss that was gained from using minoxidil from having stopped it for the few weeks?....or is it a moot point since the post ht shedding is a given and difficult to notice either/or? 

I also resumed minoxidil approximately 3 weeks post-op after my last procedure.  I experienced some mild shedding of the surrounding native hair but it did eventually grow back.

And minoxidl had zero effect on jump starting my grafts.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY