Need Clarification on Growth Expectations

Hello,

I have had a hair transplant 4 months ago and am curious about a particular statistic that I've seen being circulated around the hair transplant community. Most people seem to buy into the idea that at 3 months, there will typically be 10% growth, 20% at 4 months and then 50% at 6 months. What I'm curious about is whether these numbers represent the percentage of grafts that have sprouted from the telogen stage and into the anagen stage, or whether they simply are a ballpark about a patient's general progress from a 0-100 spectrum.

It seems odd to believe that only 10% of grafts would sprout at 3 months when there are so many examples on the internet where the numbers seem higher. Could someone please enlighten me on this issue?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Leftwithrope

We have to remember that the regrowth period varies between individuals and really best represented on a bell curve.

For most, the regrowth just starts to begin at the 3-4 month mark.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

What is the basis for the percentages you mention?  Is this an objective review of the growth or a subjective opion?

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators

Everyone grows at different rates. Therefore, these percentages may be anecdotal at best.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I'm at the 3 1/2 month mark and am hoping this is only 10% because it is very sparse. What I don't understand is that i have quite a bit of non growing stubble on 1 side only, so I'm assuming these are transplanted hairs that have not shed yet?

It is more of a subjective review because we have to take into account that there are some who experience very quick regrowth of their grafts and others who are late bloomers.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY