Please look at these pictures-Should I be disappointed with these results?

markky_03

Please review the pictures below. I really would appreciate your unbiased opinion on pictures of my hair.

About 1.5 years ago, I went to see two different doctors (doctors recommended on this forum) regarding a Hair Transplant (HT) surgery. Both doctors told me that with 3000 grafts, that I would have a full head of hair. I chose one of these doctors. The cost was about 11k and I got about 3000 grafts done approximately 1 yrs, 6 months ago.

After the initial 3000 grafts were placed and about a year later, I consulted with my HT doctor and told the doctor I still felt my hair was thin. The HT doctor told me initially that I should be happy with the results, but ultimately was willing to give me an extra 250 grafts free. (I did not ask for the free grafts, but I think my doctor saw that I was thin in the front and had a legitimate complaint) My doctor that I chose is a big name HT doctor on this forum who I do not wish to disclose.

So to sum it up, I have had 2 surgeries that were done by the same HT doctor. The first was 3000 grafts and the 2nd was 250 grafts. I still feel like my hair is thin and patchy. Can you please look at these pictures and give me your HONEST, BLUNT opinion?

If you agree that the hair is still thin, I was wondering what I should expect from this doctor to make me happy. I have tried to email the doctor recently and explain that I am still unhappy. I just want a fair outcome in my scenario for the doctor and me. The reason I am unhappy is because I expected a full head of hair and did not receive it.

Do you think it is unreasonable to expect the doctor to give me additional grafts for free? ( I paid $11,000 a year and half ago) ? Should I expect a HT discount and if so, how much? Should I just be happy that my hair has been improved? Please look at my pictures and tell me what you would do if you were me in my shoes. I would really appreciate it.

PS: I am a 28 year old male. I had the first surgery done at 27 and the second at 28.

Picutres of my HAIR-BEFORE AND AFTER

Please review the pictures below. I really would appreciate your unbiased opinion on pictures of my hair.

About 1.5 years ago, I went to see two different doctors (doctors recommended on this forum) regarding a Hair Transplant (HT) surgery. Both doctors told me that with 3000 grafts, that I would have a full head of hair. I chose one of these doctors. The cost was about 11k and I got about 3000 grafts done approximately 1 yrs, 6 months ago.

After the initial 3000 grafts were placed and about a year later, I consulted with my HT doctor and told the doctor I still felt my hair was thin. The HT doctor told me initially that I should be happy with the results, but ultimately was willing to give me an extra 250 grafts free. (I did not ask for the free grafts, but I think my doctor saw that I was thin in the front and had a legitimate complaint) My doctor that I chose is a big name HT doctor on this forum who I do not wish to disclose.

So to sum it up, I have had 2 surgeries that were done by the same HT doctor. The first was 3000 grafts and the 2nd was 250 grafts. I still feel like my hair is thin and patchy. Can you please look at these pictures and give me your HONEST, BLUNT opinion?

If you agree that the hair is still thin, I was wondering what I should expect from this doctor to make me happy. I have tried to email the doctor recently and explain that I am still unhappy. I just want a fair outcome in my scenario for the doctor and me. The reason I am unhappy is because I expected a full head of hair and did not receive it.

Do you think it is unreasonable to expect the doctor to give me additional grafts for free? ( I paid $11,000 a year and half ago) ? Should I expect a HT discount and if so, how much? Should I just be happy that my hair has been improved? Please look at my pictures and tell me what you would do if you were me in my shoes. I would really appreciate it.

PS: I am a 28 year old male. I had the first surgery done at 27 and the second at 28.

Picutres of my HAIR-BEFORE AND AFTER

Where did you have the grafts placed? Was the crown touched at all?

Its a little hard to tell from the pics. There's definitely an improvement, though it does look a bit patchy. Could you take some pics of the hairline?

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

Doesn't look good, though it would certaintly help to have better pictures, including immediate-post-ops to show graft placement. That said, I definitely see your issue and I feel for ya...also, the 250 grafts seems bogus....WTF is that honestly going to do for you?!!?!?!? Also, was the 250 "free" ( icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif) done by FUE, or did you have to go through another strip operation for 250 "free" grafts?

Lots of issues here, including you being promised a "full head of hair"...I mean, you really shouldn't expect that in your situation after one op, but that is a joke to be told anything approximating that for 3k.....

Honestly, IMO, you should let us know what clinic you went to and we will work *with* you in helping to get the clinic to come clean with transparent documentation showing your before/afters, their honest opinion, and getting you the *option* of the best possible "compensation" for whatever degree of sub-standard treatment/result you got.

To an extent, the clinic matters as some have a consistent track-record (for good or bad) and it can help deduce things and give you a more precise outlook, expectation, and general advice going forward.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

It appears to be a good improvement from before to after. I think you were sold short on the grafts though. From looking at your before pic I would have guessed you needed about 4500/5500 grafts to have good coverage and density.

I recently had a free touchup of over 2000 grafts because I felt I was undersold on the amount of grafts needed from my second HT procedure.

If a HT Doc promised you a full head of hair then you have every right to dispute your unsatifactory result. Your final result is in no way a FULL head of hair!

250 free grafts .Woohoo did he also offer you an extra packet ot mustard with your sandwich.

Look there a definite improvement but a full head of hair is not going to happen with 3000 grafts.

Did he say full frontal half or did he make you belivee your whole head would be restored.

If he said whole head then not only is he bogus but should make good on that lie but not 250 more like 2500.

Thats even if you want to go back.

Better pics would really help and ask your doc for the immed postops.

If hes not going to take care of you then I would seriously think about outing him

Markky,

Without knowing more and seeing better comparision pictures, it's next to impossible to give you an honest evaluation.

My initial impression however, is that your hair looks much better in the front than it did before surgery.

For instance, I've taken two of your photos and put them together. By looking at the photos, there is an obvious improvement. However, we don't know whether or not you've lost additional natural hair due to the progression of male pattern baldness.

You should also know that though 3000 grafts sounds like a lot, over a large balding area isn't going to give you full density, even with the amount of remaining natural hair.

The truth is, many patients are dissatisfied with the first pass and often expect more than what can honestly be done with a certain number of grafts.

In my opinion, consult with your physician in person and let him examine your scalp and hair growth yield.

59410099_acompare.jpg

Best wishes,

Bill

acompare.jpg

I had 2500 grafts in the front and 600 in the back area (crown) on the first operation. The doctor is saying that im basically balding as i get older. Do i believe that I have balded that much in 1 year? I dont think so but i am not a medical doctor... I was unhappy with my hair after from my 1st surgery. I have been on Finasteride since 3 months before my surgery. I spent the money the doctor wanted me to spend, but have not got the results that I wanted. The doctor told me that I would have a full head of hair throughout my head if I spent the money for the 3k grafts. The doctor also told me that it will never be as thick as it initially was when I was 16 , but that it would be thick enough where it would not be noticeable. The docture used a strip from the back of my head for the 250 grafts, not the FUE. I will contact the doctor again and see what the doctor will do.

markky,

600 grafts won't make a real difference in a crown with extensive thinning like yours.

Based on the pictures I posted above to compare, I'd suggest your hair growth yield was as high as can be expected.

In order to obtain more density, you will need additional work done. For instance, I've had 7500 grafts over my scalp, and though I am happy with my results, it still looks a little thin. Hair transplant surgery can't restore a full head of hair, as much as we'd like it to.

Bill

markky,

The price is fine however, your hair restoration long term plan has got to be more than about getting the best deal per graft.

In my opinion, speak to your doctor not about just the here and now, but about your goals and how many grafts and procedures it would take to accomplish them.

Bill

The problems with HTs is that you have to have realistic expectations. Unfortunately i think often what the patient deems acceptable is not in line with the doctor. that's why i think it's imperative to see as many patients in person. you can get a better idea of what the doc can realistically do for you. in your case i think those 600 grafts would have been better off being placed in the front. you could have then done a 2nd surgery to address the crown later on. that being said, it does look like you had a good yield from the surgery with this doc. i agree with other posters, however, without seeing better pre, intra-op, and post op it's a bit tough to tell if it's truly worth going back for a 2nd, reduced-rate op with him. (knowing who the doc is would help.) best of luck with whatever you decide and please keep us updated.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

The gameplan of graft allocation, the expectations that you and the doctor explicitly reached, and the 250 "free" strip procedure to "help" you....all of this needs a *serious* explanation on the part of your doctor because it strikes me as absolutely bogus.

Before this is resolved to your satisfaction I would not let this guy work on you regardless of price, and I would not feel comfortable recommending a friend to go see him either.

-----------

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Its interesting, but wavy/curly hair is often touted as the best for HT.

My hair is straight, and I would say I have about the same density, although a larger area was covered with 4500.

However, all of my hair is growing the same direction and layers on top of one another, so that from the top, the majority is not se through, except the area of the part.

His hair is cut kinda short and is growing every which way, which means it is going to be see through. I bet from the front and sides, it is a different story.

Unfortunately, being young means guys have higher expectations. This guy looks like he needs 6-7K grafts to be "finished".

I think you are in a difficult situation.

You where told, pay x-amount of money and your head would be full of hair - or at least to your satisfaction.

The doctor obviously agreed that the results weren't satisfactory or he/she wouldn't have provided the extra 250 grafts.

Here's my whole problem with this.. when you went back and saw the doctor for the 250 grafts.. did the doctor state that the 250 grafts would make the difference and provide the original stated results?

I mean: it seems strange or at least not correct that the doctor did not mention the second time: "look you are continuing to lose your hair (doctor's stated reason that you mentioned). I believe that to achieve the look you want will require another 2000 grafts. Out of the 2000 I will do 250 grafts for free.

Do you understand what I'm saying...

Doesn't look like that many of the grafts grew in the front if you had 2000 odd there. I echo Thana sentiments.

"Before this is resolved to your satisfaction I would not let this guy work on you regardless of price, and I would not feel comfortable recommending a friend to go see him either."

Can't believe he cut a strip for 250 grafts, that does not sound like a top surgeon under my interpretation.

--------------------------------------

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller

Dr Feller Jan '09 2000 grafts

Dr Lorenzo Dec '15 2222 grafts

I am trying to amicably come to a solution with the doctor. The doctor said during the 2nd hair transplant that with the 250 grafts that were placed in the front, that I would have good coverage there but the doctor did not address the crown area. I dont really agree with the doctors 2nd assessment, as you can see the front area is still patchy. I am trying to get the doctor to take care of the hair in the front area and I will pay for the hair to be taken care of in the crown. Do you guys thinks that is fair? I really dont think the crown area is that big of a deal and am ok with it being thin. More importantly, I am worried I will run out of grafts 10 years from now

Dude, being brutally honest here, I'd re-read some of the points being made....there are SERIOUS red flags, which many of us have pointed out...until they are expressly answered by this doctor, and to your complete satisfaction, I would be exceedingly wary of going back to him.

I mean, it's like this guy's shenanigans just won't let up -- so now you are saying he said the 250 "free" grafts he stripped out of you would give you "good coverage there".....add that to the list of red flags, as well.

-----------

i notice a few things here that might be helpful.

1. need pics of graft placement.

2. more hair probably lost since 1st ht. fin more then likely not helping in the hairline & top front.

3. was 250 grafts placed in the left near center hairline the 2nd time? if so i agree they were needed there.

4. did he fix or improve bad scar area in the process?

5. what are the dr's limits on graft removal? 3000 or 4000+ ? if it's 3000 he probably had you pegged for 2nd ht.

6. all grafts should have been put in the front. the 600 could have done you better on top.

rtc

Markky,

We need more pictures (immediat post-op) to give proper assessment. However, i think the 3000 grafts may be not enough to cover such a large area. Thus even though the yield may be very good, it stills look thin.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley