Why is FUE scar noticeable on back of head but not on face?

When someone gets donor hair from their beard on their face, would that create the same FUE scars as back of the head? Or is a different sized punch used so it’s not noticeable? Can’t the same be done for the back of the head so the FUE scars aren’t noticeable?

Typically, so that the hair matches perfectly, some doctors will choose to harvest from under the chin. The area is invisible to most, and more so when you let the hair grow some. The size of the punch will matter.  Some doctors find it a lot easier to use the bigger punch.  It really takes a lot of experience to do the work with the smaller punches, less than .9mm to no detect the harvested area.

• Administrators

A scar is created when a wound heals. Therefore, any FUE punches made to the face will in fact create scars. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Depends with some beard growth probably not, but clean shaven most likely. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

18 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Depends with some beard growth probably not, but clean shaven most likely. 

According to my surgeon, unlike other hair surgeries (which aren’t truly scarless) taking grafts from the neck beard actually IS scarless. My surgeon is conservative and very careful about wording so it makes me believe that this is indeed a scarless procedure if done correctly. From what I can tell very few doctors know how to do it. I would tread carefully.

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, HarryHonolulu said:

According to my surgeon, unlike other hair surgeries (which aren’t truly scarless) taking grafts from the neck beard actually IS scarless.

I wouldn't say grafts taken from the beard area are completely scarless, however skin and tissue differ from various areas on your body and it happens that the beard area and to a lesser extent the chest area heal much better than head areas. This is why beard donor grafts do not scar very much while head donor areas may show more scarring.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I wouldn't say grafts taken from the beard area are completely scarless, however skin and tissue differ from various areas on your body and it happens that the beard area and to a lesser extent the chest area heal much better than head areas. This is why beard donor grafts do not scar very much while head donor areas may show more scarring.

Great explanation.

View my thread