Hair Miniturization

• Administrators

Surgeons have a special high magnification tool that allows them to see miniaturization. Based on that, they will map out a master plan or long-term strategy to ensure you have long-lasting results.

warm regards- Melvin 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

We can examine the scalp and look for miniaturization of hair that are currently present. But this would not determine future hair loss. It would be great if we had a crystal ball and could accurately predict the patients final hair loss pattern. This would allow for a better long term game plan.  Unfortunately, we don't have the ability to do this so we use as much information available from patient to try and create a reasonable plan and always keep worst case scenario in mind.

Like Dr. Charles said, there's no crystal ball. However, surgeons can examine the miniaturization levels of your hair, and based on your age, rate of hair loss, family history, hair characteristics, donor density, etc. they can make an educated guess on where you may be heading and what the best plan of action is. I'd recommend having several consultations with trusted surgeons and seeing if they come to the same conclusion. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 3 weeks later...

Is hair Miniaturization check extremely reliable or just the best we have right now? im talking checking an a NW 4-6 not someone that shows no hair loss. 

EDIT: I read the above posts and want to make a point. If a hair miniaturization check is close to or on the same level  as 'looking at family history' then I dont consider it  a good check. just wondering if its better. 

Edited by Wicky

On 10/17/2018 at 4:16 PM, Wicky said:

Is hair Miniaturization check extremely reliable or just the best we have right now? im talking checking an a NW 4-6 not someone that shows no hair loss. 

EDIT: I read the above posts and want to make a point. If a hair miniaturization check is close to or on the same level  as 'looking at family history' then I dont consider it  a good check. just wondering if its better. 

It's not a case of "either/or" when it comes to the best way to determine projected future hair loss. There is no foolproof way to know with 100% certainty how someone's hair loss will progress, but the miniaturization tests are a very valuable tool and one of the best ways to see the current state of your hair and where it may be heading. The surgeons can then take all of the information provided and make the best educated guess possible on how to proceed with a hair restoration game plan. 

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

17 hours ago, pkipling said:

It's not a case of "either/or" when it comes to the best way to determine projected future hair loss. There is no fool proof way to know with 100% certainty how someone's hair loss will progress, but the miniaturization tests are a very valuable tool and one of the best ways to see the current state of your hair and where it may be heading. The surgeons can then take all of the information provided and make the best educated guess possible on how to proceed with a hair restoration game plan. 

Gottcha thanks :)