5.5 Months Progress. 2600 Fue Procedure. Crown Question..?

dolvio

Hello, 

I had a 2600 FUE procedure done 5.5 months ago and I thought I would share my progress. The procedure was done in British Columbia, Canada. I chose FUE because I often wear my hair short and wanted options at this point in my life. The goal was to restore hairline and fill in the crown.  

Pictures: 
1st 3 are pre-op (bad camera), 
2nd 3 are 2 months, 
3rd 3 are 3 months,
4th 3 are 5.5 months.

I do have a question, can I expect much more density in my crown area. From a few feet away it looks fine with dry hair but close up with slightly damp hair and some light not so much. I am hopeful but also do not want to head back for another procedure next year. I am 35, 1.25mg propecia 5 days a week (5 years now) and regain 5% once nightly for past 2 years. 

Great forum and great people. Thanks guys.

Pre Front.png

Pre Side.png

Pre Top.jpg

Day 63 Front.png

Day 63 Temple 2.png

Day 63 Top.jpg

Day 91 Front.png

Day 91 Temple 2.png

Day 91 Top.jpg

Day 161 Front.png

Day 161 Temple 1.png

Day 161 Top.jpg

You already look like you've had a decent improvement in the transplanted areas at 5.5 months, despite ultimately having a small amount of grafts. The crown would likely have needed 2500 grafts on its own for full coverage, expecting perfection from a single procedure with what you had would be unrealistic.

Ultimately looks like it should be quite a good result overall though, especially with more improvement to come over the next 3-4 months. The crown can take a bit longer also, for sure you'll have further noticeable improvement from where you are now.  99% of people with both crown and hairline loss don't achieve full coverage in a single procedure.

11 hours ago, JeanLDD said:

You already look like you've had a decent improvement in the transplanted areas at 5.5 months, despite ultimately having a small amount of grafts. The crown would likely have needed 2500 grafts on its own for full coverage, expecting perfection from a single procedure with what you had would be unrealistic.

Ultimately looks like it should be quite a good result overall though, especially with more improvement to come over the next 3-4 months. The crown can take a bit longer also, for sure you'll have further noticeable improvement from where you are now.  99% of people with both crown and hairline loss don't achieve full coverage in a single procedure.

Thanks for the response.  The actual amount of grafts to the crown area was 800 triples.  When I first went for my procedure I thought I would come out with hair like a 20 year old.  I was explained there was limitations to FUE, etc.  I’m much more informed now and I was told on my day of surgery they would do all they could for me.  I wanted that 20 year old hairline.  I wanted a full crown.  I realized I couldn’t have it all so they did their best in both areas.  I do hope my crown fills in enough that it takes away that immediate “he’s bald” thought.  Maybe I’ll do 1000 more up top in a couple years but I hope everything will look great come 12 months. 

Do you think my hairline looks okay?

• Administrators

The crown takes longer to grow, be patient. Re-asses at 12 months, but as of now it’s improved already.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, dolvio said:

Thanks for the response.  The actual amount of grafts to the crown area was 800 triples.  When I first went for my procedure I thought I would come out with hair like a 20 year old.  I was explained there was limitations to FUE, etc.  I’m much more informed now and I was told on my day of surgery they would do all they could for me.  I wanted that 20 year old hairline.  I wanted a full crown.  I realized I couldn’t have it all so they did their best in both areas.  I do hope my crown fills in enough that it takes away that immediate “he’s bald” thought.  Maybe I’ll do 1000 more up top in a couple years but I hope everything will look great come 12 months. 

Do you think my hairline looks okay?

The photos make it hard to tell but it looks great for 5.5 months which is still early. A little conservative in design but the density and shape look healthy unlike your original state.

It really is a very small amount of grafts in the crown, realistically there will still be thinning but it shouldn't be the gaping hole it was pre-op. 

Typically if it looks this good at 5.5 months it should be fantastic at 12 months.

7 minutes ago, JeanLDD said:

The photos make it hard to tell but it looks great for 5.5 months which is still early. A little conservative in design but the density and shape look healthy unlike your original state.

It really is a very small amount of grafts in the crown, realistically there will still be thinning but it shouldn't be the gaping hole it was pre-op. 

Typically if it looks this good at 5.5 months it should be fantastic at 12 months.

I would have needed to do all 2600 in the front to make my hairline a lot lower.  Dr. Wong did the procedure and he actually said to not lower my hairline more.  I will likely do this in the future if I feel I need to but it is a healthier look that pre-op.  I believe his plan was to densify my frontal region and provide what they had left in the back.  I also got 400 singles put at the temples.  They had explained they did all they could do in this one session. 

Here are my day 2 pics and you can see exactly where the work was done. 

Day 2 Top.jpg

Don't forget a lot of Doctors typically state that the crown takes the longest for the hairs to grow/mature. I can see a big difference already and I think by month 12-15 you'll be smiling ear to ear!

12/2017 - 3500 Grafts- Dr. Emrah Cinik

Follow my progress:

On 9/25/2018 at 12:41 PM, lukeyb1687 said:

Don't forget a lot of Doctors typically state that the crown takes the longest for the hairs to grow/mature. I can see a big difference already and I think by month 12-15 you'll be smiling ear to ear!

I hope so.  I’d say as of right now I’m probably not entirely happy with the result.  I feel like I when from bald to less bald.  Ideally wanting to go from bald to having hair again as it’s been so long.  This procedure was extremely expensive as I went FUE and understand there were limitations.   I’d go back in for another if it was a week turnaround but it’s not.  It’s a month off work (for my job) and a hat in the sun for a long time.  I’m going to go back for a follow up in 2 weeks at the 6 Month mark and talk about another surgery.   I know it’s unrealistic to restore everything in one go unless I got my hair mowed down for a 5000 FUE at some shady clinic but I was expecting a little more.  

I know it’s also still early but I had a ton of fast growth and it’s hard for me to think I will be getting more because it appears it has grown back in.   There just wasn’t enough in the back to make a difference I wanted I guess.