Hair transplant waiting lists

Hi, I have scheduled a couple of consultation appointments with doctors here in California however they are both about another month or two from now. I was wondering if the consultation wait period is that long is the appointment for the actual procedure even further back? How big are the waiting lists in regards to reputable doctors? I want to have the procedure done before the end of this year however with waiting times over a month just for a consultation I am beginning to worry that I would have to wait until 2019 for the next available procedure! Are there any reputable doctors that don’t have massive waiting lists? 

How long the wait is really varies, and there's always a chance that someone who has scheduled a procedure will get cold feet or back out for whatever reason a week or two before. If you have a fairly flexible schedule and can be ready to get a procedure on rather short notice, you could ask about getting on a wait list in the event they do have a cancellation. 

That said, just because there's a long wait to get a consultation, that doesn't necessarily correlate to also having a really long wait list for a procedure. It's common for surgeons to only do consultations once a week, which is why those appointments can go pretty quick. Always ask about getting on a wait list for consultations as well, as that could potentially save you a lot of time. 

Edited by pkipling

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

5 minutes ago, hairlossPA said:

Dr. Diep has about a 2 month consultation wait list. I believe his FUE is about 8 month wait, and FUT is shorter... maybe 2-4 month wait?

So basically a year wait to get it done? That’s pretty extreme 

• Administrators

Rushing to have surgery is never a good idea, I assume you’ve dealt with hair loss for more than a year, so why would you want to rush in to surgery? It is best to consult slowly with various doctors, this way you’re able to form a long-term strategy based on professional opinions and consults. 

Furthermore, a clinic that can see you and schedule you for surgery that same day is not a clinic you would want to go to. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 8/30/2018 at 6:43 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Rushing to have surgery is never a good idea, I assume you’ve dealt with hair loss for more than a year, so why would you want to rush in to surgery? It is best to consult slowly with various doctors, this way you’re able to form a long-term strategy based on professional opinions and consults. 

Furthermore, a clinic that can see you and schedule you for surgery that same day is not a clinic you would want to go to. 

Just wanted to say your result is God tier. I would have gone with Dr. Diep if I lived closer to his clinic. Seems like Dr. Diep is one of the masters at hairlines, if I were in your shoes, I probably would have gotten greedy and asked for a straighter and lower headline hah. 

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 4:19 AM, Aware said:

So basically a year wait to get it done? That’s pretty extreme 

If you think a year of waiting list is extreme I bet you have never heard of Dr. Couto  in Spain?

They have waiting list of 3.5 years or sometimes 4yrs.

Any talented and reputable surgeon is going to have a waiting list, period.

If they don't, that would raise a red flag for me.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Moderators
On 9/3/2018 at 9:02 AM, Rawkerboi said:

If you think a year of waiting list is extreme I bet you have never heard of Dr. Couto  in Spain?

They have waiting list of 3.5 years or sometimes 4yrs.

Why would anyone even bother looking into a place with up to a 4 year waiting time? The original consultation would be totally useless at that point. I went from a thinning crown and looking like I had a full frontal half by parting my hair on the side to NW 6 in four years. Doesn't make any sense to have a plan for your HT and then not do it until 4 years later. What happens when you plan two sessions (first one for the front and second for the crown)? Do you have to wait 4 years to get the second procedure? Ridiculous.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

25 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Why would anyone even bother looking into a place with up to a 4 year waiting time? The original consultation would be totally useless at that point. I went from a thinning crown and looking like I had a full frontal half by parting my hair on the side to NW 6 in four years. Doesn't make any sense to have a plan for your HT and then not do it until 4 years later. What happens when you plan two sessions (first one for the front and second for the crown)? Do you have to wait 4 years to get the second procedure? Ridiculous.

i doubt the consultation is at the start of the waiting list.. 

I agree...four years would be totally unacceptable.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY