Finasteride And Transplants

I tried finasteride a few years ago and had terrible sides, I swore to never take the stuff again but I see many people and doctors saying you should take it before and after a transplant.

Im wondering if it’s taking a huge risk and getting one done and exclude finasteride from my hairloss regime.  My hairloss hasn’t stabilized either.

What are your thoughts or experiences?

Hi, I would say you will be taking a huge risk, remember to the side effect doesn't go away as soon as you stop taking it and it can take years. Also the shock loss and shedding that happens once you stop taking it. I would strongly suggest no to touch that poison. 

There are people who are lucky not to suffer from any side effects, but for those who do I personally don't recommend.

Fin will help with not shedding your existing hair, but I believe it doesn't have any effect on transplanted hair as they are prone to the DHT anyways?

I really could care less if u go on finasteride or not . But it seems like you’ve done ur research . N know the facts .. if ur hair is thinning .. what choice do u have to prevent it from thinning even more .. if u take medication to slow the progression of hairloss .. u still going to be balding eventually, how soon u want that to happen depends on u ,, finasteride is no poison .. poison don’t make a . Company billions of dollars .. unless it’s safe n effective for the majority of people ., if not they won’t make no profits because of lawsuits .. it’s not a poison unless u want to believe it to be ..  the real poison is natural supplements n shampooos that makes claims to prevent hairloss n regrow hair thAt has no scientific data or research to back up their claims..  or Unless ur hairloss is too aggressive for anything to help .. 

the people that complain most of finasteride are the ones that let their hairloss get to the point that no medication , or apple cider vinegar can no longer help them .. 

Edited by Legend007
  • Like 1

Most people benefit greatly from using finasteride both before and after a restoration surgery, I know for me it has slowed down and perhaps even halted additional thinning.

Time will tell, but pre-transplants i never advanced beyond a Norwood 3A while on finasteride.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Well I guess I’ll have to wait on the future hairloss treatments then, I will not take finasteride again.  

Dont the doctors map your scalp for hair miniaturization? I’ve been losing my hair slowly for 8 years and I’m in the Norwood 3-4 range with a full crown. So I’m hoping it just stops soon lol ughhh I hate this crap

• Administrators

Not everyone who has a hair transplant takes finasteride, it is a big benefit, but it’s not mandatory. It all depends on your age and how aggressive your hair loss is, done guys just have a progressive, but very slow hair loss. These guys could typically get away with not taking finasteride.

My dad for example has been a Norwood III for the past 15 years and he’s 61, he has never taken any hair loss medication ever, if he had a transplant 20 years ago it would still hold up today. Something to consider also, we’re not all the same and that even goes for medication tolerance. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.