Questions About Hair Transplant Density

I've been doing some research about hair transplant density, and I'm hoping someone can clarify a few things for me.

I realise that the end result depends on various factors, such as hair characteristics, hair thickness, shaft diameter, medication, donor hair, the amount of grafts needed, and the quality of the surgeon. I also realise that every case is different, and that every patient is individual.

I've read that the density of thick, non-transplant hair is roughly 80 FU per cm2, and that a good surgeon can achieve a density of 50-60 FU per cm2.

1) Are these figures roughly correct?

2) What is the average density of hair that is subject to diffuse thinning?

3) Is it necessary (or advisable) to have two procedures in order to achieve a high density? I've read that poor growth rates can occur if the patient opts for a high density, so the best course of action is to go for 50-60 on the first go, then get a second procedure to improve the density. Is this right?

4) Do you think that surgeons will be able to achieve results with increased (better?) density in the next few years? Is this an area where improvement and advancement is possible? Or have we peaked in this area?

Apologies for all the questions! I appreciate anyone who takes the time to reply.

Thanks,

CK

"the end result depends on various factors, such as hair characteristics, hair thickness, shaft diameter, medication, donor hair, the amount of grafts needed, and the quality of the surgeon. I also realise that every case is different, and that every patient is individual. "

The best initial response to the question is this. Truly this isn't something to worry about and surgeons tend to lie about and amp up the numbers on a regular basis. Very few surgeons are measuring recipient area with the precision required to be sure of these numbers to absolute accuracy either either.

As a very general statement like you say a healthy, non-miniaturised area can average around 80 FU p/cm2, and 50 is typically a number aimed for in the hairline. In my case for my first procedure it was probably around 50 in the hairline and 35 behind it. Looks absolutely fine buzzed down and grown out the scalp is completely hidden. So yes your statements are roughly correct, but who really cares, it means nothing to your potential situation.

Not really sure what you mean by the second question. Diffusing can be heavy or it can be mild. There's no average density, its situational.

In my case as a NW3 with a fairly large area to cover I felt one procedure got me to a point where it looked like a full head of hair, but at certain lengths and especially when it got quite long it didn't look its best and flaws showed. A few micro spots where maybe 8-10 grafts didn't grow, for the most part the growth was uniform. This is a big reason second procedures tend to be useful because almost everyone has these micro problems. The more grafts used in a single procedure the higher the risk so it tends to be optimal to go for a level of density that passes in terms of natural, full looking coverage but not going for what a teenager has. It again very much depends on your situation and area needing to be covered. If you're a 35 year old Norwood 1.5 then increasing density to an achievable safe maximum is often seen, in my case as a 22 year old NW3 it obviously wouldn't have made sense to attempt that.

Density potential has certainly peaked, I've read Rahal and a number of others have actually decreased the level of density they're willing to produce particularly in first procedures as it can cause circulation and growth issues. It's a moot point though to be honest, there's only a certain level of density that is ever appropriate as beyond it growth can be compromised and ultimately it can simply be a waste of donor. In 95% of circumstances no surgeon would cram 70 FU/cm2 into an area simply because its a waste of grafts.

It’s difficult to determine the number of hairs per sq centimeter but experienced surgeons can examine your donor area and will remove just the number of grafts you need (the beauty of FUE). I was a Norwood 6 but had good donor areas. Choose a skilled surgeon and get a consult with a reputable doctor. My first consult was a WebMD consult online. That gave me a good baseline and start. Best of luck to you. You will be pleased in the end. You’ve started in the right place. This website highlites great doctors and offers plenty of advice from experienced transplant recipients.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I think behind the hairline the more important numbers are number of hairs transplanted and not necessarily how many grafts.

You might have 50 cm2 grafts in the hairline but with all 1 and 2 hair grafts this might only amount to 75 hairs per cm2. Behind that, you might only have 30 cm2 transplanted but with 2s, 3s, and 4s you might still have 75-100 hairs per cm2.

In areas that have no hair, you are going to need 2 transplants to likely get the density you want. Again, as you mentioned, this can differ based on your quality of hair (thickness, curl, etc.).