Considering FUE surgery. Help with NW and graft estimation

Hello everyone, great community.

I am 28 yo and getting shaded hair for years. The last years it became worse. Currently using minoxydil on daily basis.

Now I am considering to go through a FUE surgery.

I'd like to get a clue of where I stand in NW scale and how many graft do you think I need to a thick full front hair line + better crown?

Also, which NW you think I am going to end with?

https://imgur.com/a/3OjRKR1

Thanks!!!

Hi Jordan,

You appear to be supporting a comb-over to hide thinning in your mid scalp. Generally I would say it looks like you are thinning all over and at 28 I would say you are a diffuse thinner heading for an NW6 pattern.

You do appear to be an ideal candidate to go down the medical route (Finasteride/Minoxidil). This should over time help recover your existing hair and help delay any future aggressive balding. It should be your first port of call, make an appointment to see your doctor.

Hello everyone, great community.

I am 28 yo and getting shaded hair for years. The last years it became worse. Currently using minoxydil on daily basis.

Now I am considering to go through a FUE surgery.

I'd like to get a clue of where I stand in NW scale and how many graft do you think I need to a thick full front hair line + better crown?

Also, which NW you think I am going to end with?

https://imgur.com/a/3OjRKR1

Thanks!!!

Don't think about surgery yet since that will NOT stop the hair loss cycle. First get on Finastride to put "brakes" on your hair loss. Then after 6-12 months, re-evaluate where you need to be.

Hi Jordan90,

As said, finasteride could be a good option in your case. You still have a decent amount of native hair but part of it seems thinning, so finasteride could help you. Try to visit some doctor in your area to asses it.

It is advisable to use it at least 6-12 months to see the possible results.

On the other hand, if you decide to have a hair transplant procedure, I think it would be in your best interest to be conservative in the approach. You are still young (less than 30), and your potential baldness is not small, affecting nowadays to frontal and crown.

So you have to think mid-long term and manage your donor capacity properly.

Best regards,

Hi guys, thank you so much for your answers. here are more pics https://imgur.com/a/wNCVYsb

for me, consumption of Finastride on a regular basis isn't an option... I've been there ...

regarding an HT, how many grafts you think I'll need? is the transplanted hair is for lifetime?

is it possible to perform an HT on non-baled scalp? (with thin hair)

my life flowchart gives me a great opportunity to perform an HT on March 19, and i'll gonna do that sooner or later anyway. considering this, would you do that if meds aren't an option:confused:?

• Administrators

As others have mentioned you’re an ideal candidate for medical therapy. I would suggest at least taking minoxidil. If you’re seriously considering surgery you should set up a consultation with one of our pre-screened recommended surgeons, he/she will be able to advise whether or not you’re a candidate for surgery and how many grafts would give you an acceptable cosmetic result.

Surgeons here

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-loss-doctors.asp

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It is not always easy to asses by pictures since there are important data missing: hair calibre, average hairs per FU, donor density, etc.

But as said before, if you are considering a hair transplant short-mid term, maybe just focus on frontal area and being conservative. Crown may improve with the use of finasteride if your Doctor prescribes it.

Maybe something around 2500+ FU for frontal could help, but personally I'd give a try to finasteride also on that area: part of the existing hair is thinning, but with the use of medication it could improve as well, saving donor grafts.

You have to plan any hair transplant surgery thinking of the future.

Regards,