Dr. Hasson 5551 Grafts/ FUT/ 7 Months post op

Vancouver area patient in his late 30’s. Dr. Hasson and team rebuild a new hairline, restored the frontal zone, mid-scalp and crown. 5551 grafts were transplanted of which 1735 were single hair grafts, 3557 were doubles and 259 were 3-4 hair grafts. These photos were emailed to me by the patient 7 months post-op. As you can see, he is using gel in his hair. The nice thing about pics with gel is you can see into the scalp and get a good view of the uniform coverage. You can't hide any imperfections or lack of density when you can see the hair exit the skin. It takes a relatively high density to be able to pull off this look.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

• Administrators

Great work!

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Adonix,

Good question, I’m glad you asked:-)

The short answer: FUT versus FUE.

The long answer: Actually according to my calculations, this patient had around 9750 hairs compared to your around 9300 (from one of your posts) but there is a difference in the hairs per graft or hair/graft ratio as you observed. You had noted in that post that your hairs per graft (hpg) was 2.33. This patient’s hpg is about 1.75. For a FUT procedure, I would say his hpg is on the lower side, he had a higher number of single hair grafts. I would estimate most FUT cases would fall around 2.0 hpg give or take. With FUT, we are taking out the strip and are presented with a distribution of grafts, we do not have the luxury of selecting only the ones we want. With FUE, we can “cherry pick” only the grafts we want. This allows the doctor to determine exactly how many of which type of graft he wants. So for FUE, he would likely harvest a higher number of 2 or more hair grafts. After rebuilding the hairline, he will want/need very few if any single hair grafts. As I mentioned in another thread, if we have a higher number of single hair grafts in a FUT procedure such as this case and we are done rebuilding the hairline, we will often place 2 single hair grafts in one incision to create more volume and density in a given area outside of the hairline.

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

Thanks for the comments guys!

Adonix,

Good question, I’m glad you asked:-)

The short answer: FUT versus FUE.

The long answer: Actually according to my calculations, this patient had around 9750 hairs compared to your around 9300 (from one of your posts) but there is a difference in the hairs per graft or hair/graft ratio as you observed. You had noted in that post that your hairs per graft (hpg) was 2.33. This patient’s hpg is about 1.75. For a FUT procedure, I would say his hpg is on the lower side, he had a higher number of single hair grafts. I would estimate most FUT cases would fall around 2.0 hpg give or take. With FUT, we are taking out the strip and are presented with a distribution of grafts, we do not have the luxury of selecting only the ones we want. With FUE, we can “cherry pick” only the grafts we want. This allows the doctor to determine exactly how many of which type of graft he wants. So for FUE, he would likely harvest a higher number of 2 or more hair grafts. After rebuilding the hairline, he will want/need very few if any single hair grafts. As I mentioned in another thread, if we have a higher number of single hair grafts in a FUT procedure such as this case and we are done rebuilding the hairline, we will often place 2 single hair grafts in one incision to create more volume and density in a given area outside of the hairline.

Thanks. Makes sense.

I had my second surgery, 2000 grafts / 4900 hairs. So my total is 6000 grafts / 14200 hairs. Is it correct to say that equals to 8000+ grafts FUT? This isnt FUT vs FUE thing, just it helps when people look online for result examples..

Adonix,

I would say in this case it is correct 8,000 FUT grafts would equal the 6,000 FUE grafts associated with your case. If this patent’s hpg were closer to the average, then around 7,000 grafts via FUT would have equaled your 6,000 grafts via FUE. So you can see how things can vary from case to case. But we can conclude that FUE would likely yield a higher hpg than FUT in most cases. I generally figure on about a 20% higher hpg for FUE versus FUT give or take.

Edited by H & W Doug
change FUE to FUT mistake

Hassonandwong.com