Best FUE surgeons for higher NWS

Dave100

Hi All,

TL;DR

Lorenzo vs Erdogan for high NW which to choose.

As my title suggest I'm looking to take the plunge in getting a FUE transplant. I've had online consultations with a few of the reputable clinics.

However, I'm now wondering which one to book my procedure with.

I've been qouted as being a NW5 and would need approx 5k-5.5k in grafts (dependent on my hair characteristics). My two preferred have been Drs. Lorenzo and Erdogan.

Dr Lorenzo i feel has extremely well documented results and has a lot of patients obtain full coverage with higher nws then myself. I do feel his hairlines are not as aggresive as Dr Erdogan and being in my late 20's I'd like to have a nice hairline . Also it would most likely take a few surgeries to get a full result which means a lot of travel for me.

Dr Erdogan also has a lot of documented results and looks to have an amazing clinic. I feel his results are excellent too but i dont see too many patients with higher nws with posted results as you do with Lorenzo.

Initially im thinking go with Dr Lorenzo for a session and then see what my yield and result is, evaluate my remaining donor, and finilise with Erdogan?

Im sure I can't really go wrong with either as both are amazing however, i do feel the results both obtain are a bit different where one focuses on coverage and the other (i feel) more so on aesthetic impact.

Any insights would be appreciated thanks

Edited by Dave100

You said it yourself you can't go wrong with either. I went with Dr Lorenzo for my last surgery and he will be my forever doc going forward so clearly I think the world of him. These are both elite doctors however but here's my take

I think Erdogans clinic is better suited to mega session work if you are wanting to limit the amount of trips you want to make. Lorenzo is adept at mega session work but he prefers it in stages, you'll find many of his large cases were 2 and 3 stage transplants vs 1 so you may need to make multiple trips with Lorenzo.

I do think the hairline talk about Lorenzo is nonsense, his work is quite aesthetic, I've seen many cases up close and they are natural and beautifully done. Erdogan gets to display more of his aggressive stylings in part due to his clientele, his price point will attract younger patients which want younger more bolder approaches and 2 he is aggressive by nature, he is willing to go deeper into a donor area sooner than are other doctors. That I don't mean in any negative way, I don't mean at the expense of your future but if he knows you've 10k donors and can spare an extra 500 to get extra density up front he's willing to go there while other doctors may lean to not using any more than is necessary. Lorenzos tendency is to use what you need but he is flexible as long as it's not hurting you going forward but if you have a preference for Erdogans hairlines i can understand that but if you think to get the upsides from Lorenzo you also have to settle for an average hairline that isn't the case

I think it comes down to a couple factors for you, do you have crown work to do and how many trips you want to make. Lorenzo does the best crown work on the planet so if i had extensive crown work my lean would be Lorenzo. If you are primarily hairline and midscalp and number of trips are a factor, Erdogan is my lean.

I think it comes down to a couple factors for you, do you have crown work to do and how many trips you want to make. Lorenzo does the best crown work on the planet so if i had extensive crown work my lean would be Lorenzo. If you are primarily hairline and midscalp and number of trips are a factor, Erdogan is my lean.

Thanks for your reply. At the moment I'm kind of leaning towards Dr Lorenzo as i will need crown work and being a higher norwood i think carrying out the procedure in stages does have its benefits on terms of yield and recovery. Giving me the best chance possible to an adequate result.

Also wondering if i did want to go to Erdogan for a second procedure instead of Lorenzo would that disqualify me from having it done at that clinic ( do surgeons like to pick up the work of someone else?)

I went with Erdogan so keep that in mind, but overall I would suggest him over Lorenzo specifically because he would opt for larger 2 day megasessions in the 5-5.5k range in contrast to Lorenzo who would opt for two procedures for this number. Neither are are among the very best hairline surgeons in the world but Lorenzo is typically more conservative.

Both are sharing some use of protocol, have a massive amount of documentation and high level of consistency, if you're not convinced in one direction by one or the other I would consider especially that you're likely to get a finished product in a single surgery from Erdogan, but not in the case of Lorenzo because of their seperate graft numbers approach. The post-op period is even less fun than it sounds and less time dealing with travel, time off work, risk of complications and damage to your social life the better.

Also you say you don't see many higher norwood cases with Erdogan, definitely check out the international hairloss forum (just Google that) because there are a huge number there

You said it yourself you can't go wrong with either. I went with Dr Lorenzo for my last surgery and he will be my forever doc going forward so clearly I think the world of him. These are both elite doctors however but here's my take

I think Erdogans clinic is better suited to mega session work if you are wanting to limit the amount of trips you want to make. Lorenzo is adept at mega session work but he prefers it in stages, you'll find many of his large cases were 2 and 3 stage transplants vs 1 so you may need to make multiple trips with Lorenzo.

I do think the hairline talk about Lorenzo is nonsense, his work is quite aesthetic, I've seen many cases up close and they are natural and beautifully done. Erdogan gets to display more of his aggressive stylings in part due to his clientele, his price point will attract younger patients which want younger more bolder approaches and 2 he is aggressive by nature, he is willing to go deeper into a donor area sooner than are other doctors. That I don't mean in any negative way, I don't mean at the expense of your future but if he knows you've 10k donors and can spare an extra 500 to get extra density up front he's willing to go there while other doctors may lean to not using any more than is necessary. Lorenzos tendency is to use what you need but he is flexible as long as it's not hurting you going forward but if you have a preference for Erdogans hairlines i can understand that but if you think to get the upsides from Lorenzo you also have to settle for an average hairline that isn't the case

Do you have a thread of your results up?

Also you say you don't see many higher norwood cases with Erdogan, definitely check out the international hairloss forum (just Google that) because there are a huge number there

Great website tons of results. Although i haven't yet found extreme restoration cases like Lorenzo has worked on, but hopefully the website will provide some.

Also, I wonder if i do go with Lorenzo initially for the first procedure would it be possible then to switch to Erdogan to finalize or would the different approaches from both surgeons not compliment each other?

Let say i did not get the hairline desired from Dr L and would want to strengthen it with Erdogan for my next procedure at the expense of say my crown, would this be possible? Apologies if i'm asking silly questions :o

Edited by Dave100

Do you have a thread of your results up?

No I didn't keep a log, I thought about it but I knew pre op that I was going to have to make a switch from fin to dut as I was being moved onto a different form of trt and needed the stronger dht inhibition so I knew a big shed was likely coming my way and the timing so close post op was going to be stressing enough I didn't want any added stress of having it judged in a thread. I wasn't wrong I'm in the midst of a nasty shed right now, it's about 4 month of full time dut after 3 months of tapering up with finasteride still in the mix so it's interesting times, my hairs definitely gone from weaker at op to much stronger at 6 months to a step back now but I still got my result it's just nuked some minaturized hairs in surrounding areas... in a few months time I expect it to rebound stronger than ever. I'll get my girl to take a few pics when she gets back after the weekend for anybody interested in seeing what the crowns looking like.

Great website tons of results. Although i haven't yet found extreme restoration cases like Lorenzo has worked on, but hopefully the website will provide some.

Also, I wonder if i do go with Lorenzo initially for the first procedure would it be possible then to switch to Erdogan to finalize or would the different approaches from both surgeons not compliment each other?

Let say i did not get the hairline desired from Dr L and would want to strengthen it with Erdogan for my next procedure at the expense of say my crown, would this be possible? Apologies if i'm asking silly questions :o

You can go to whomever you like whenever you like, it's your hair. You may get asked why you changed docs at most. These 2 docs are big fans of each other and do work together on fue conferences and such, they've both worked with each other on ops, and they've been to each others clinics and incorporate elements from each others clinics. For example, Lorenzo adapted Erdogans coverage value system and Erdogan switched to keep which is basically a hybrid implanter pen because of the yields Lorenzo was able to get. I asked Lorenzo about Erdogan and he had nothing but glowing things to say about him and i'm sure it'll be the same in reverse so you could do as you wish but really you'll be fine in eithers hands and they can both get you the result you're looking for so there is no reason to be jumping around. It just comes down to which approach you prefer.

Tough choice man but I would say either way you are in good hands, and as you've alluded to It depends on what is most important to you ie getting it done in one procedure, hairline/crown etc

My personal philosophy with respect to Hair transplants is to operate out of the assumption that no new treatments are every going to come save the day, and we have to be very meticulous in planning ahead, managing our donor etc. I'm in my 20s as well and have been on forums for almost a decade so seeing virtually no progress with respect to treatments made me adopt a more conservative approach for HTs

Lorenzo was more in line with my personal approach so I went with him. Had I needed a large number of grafts and been on a budget, I probably would have gone with Erdy. Both have consistently great yields and overall results, and it seems like the main differences/concerns in the eyes of forum goers between the two are the large graft estimates of Erdy, the conservative nature of Lorenzo, as well as some concern with the aesthetics of Lorenzos hairlines. The thing I weighed most heavily was which Doc do I think gets the most out of each and every graft ie in the event i have more extensive loss down the road who can make best use of my total lifetime donor.

From experience I can tell you the conservative hairline talk with Lorenzo is not true at all. He was willing to be much more aggressive than I anticipated, and I ended up going somewhere in between his most conservative and most aggressive hairline design. I think most guys my age with my loss would have chose the most aggressive one but personally I didn't want to get greedy. A guy I met when I was there was in for his 10 month follow up, he was in his 20s and in show business so needed that perfect NW1 hairline and his results were awesome.

It is my opinion that higher Norwoods are better off having FUE spread out over two procedures. It's a safer way of managing the donor area

This patient had two procedures covering a lot of ground with a total of 5754 grafts.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/189104-dr-rahal-video-presentation-5754-grafts-fue.html

It can be done in such a way that the first procedure stands alone. Of course it's important that your donor area can support a nigher number of extractions as not everybody's can.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

• 4 weeks later...