Would you consider FUT in 2018?

I've never considered FUT for the same reasons most people state but considering I am a challenging case and more hair can be taken with FUT, it is something I am now having to take seriously.

Only thing is I normally have my hair at the back at around 2.5 grade and I think the scar will be visible still.

Is FUT outdated in 2018 or am I being a bit precious?

I am having the same thought process as you. I thought I would never get FUT, only FUE, but now I think FUT would be better considering it can take more grafts in a single session and reduce operation time, etc...

Then FUE to do any touchups

It's a hard choice to make isn't it? What norwood are you?

Personally, if my hair loss was more advanced, I would've definitely considered FUT and just accepted the fact that I'd have to keep my hair longer in the back to hide the scar. It's a worthwhile tradeoff to have decent hair in my opinion. Although I've seen Dr. Erdogan achieve some impressive transformations >5000 grafts with FUE, so that's certainly an option if you're a good candidate, and one I would've explored myself.

All depends on your specific case though. I would talk it over with a doctor who does excellent work with both FUT and FUE and see what he or she recommends.

In no way is Fut outdated today, it comes down to supply and demand. If you have the supply to keep up with your loss demand then either avenue is available to you. If your demand pushes the limits of your supply then fut is the best option. The tougher the case you are the better the fut option becomes for you ie, If you're a high nw, if you're the type with extremely kinky curly hair which may be a tougher fue extraction and so on. Most top fut doctors have gotten the scar down to as small as it can get but your own physiology and your post op recovery will dictate if there will be stretching and then you'll just have to see if a 2.5 grade will cover it, you can usually fade below the scar and get some sort of compromise but over the scar itself it is possible you may have to go a little higher but again maybe not. If you're already at a 2.5 grade, then going to a 3 or 4 isn't the end of the world if it means a full head of hair or better head of hair, so make the choice based on which route allows you to get the hair you want.

I think that the modern hairstyle fashions of the past 20 years have aided the popularity of FUE. Whereas, if we were all sporting 1970's Hair Helmets, no one would really care.

Are you a Vanilla Ice or a .38 Special? It all comes down to personal style preference.

When long hair is the fashion again, FUT will reign...

I'm serious.  Just look at my face.

My Hair Regimen: Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I think that the modern hairstyle fashions of the past 20 years have aided the popularity of FUE. Whereas, if we were all sporting 1970's Hair Helmets, no one would really care.

Are you a Vanilla Ice or a .38 Special? It all comes down to personal style preference.

When long hair is the fashion again, FUT will reign...

Yes true, I guess my biggest concern is not that I won't be able to conceal the scar now (I'll just go to a grade 3 or 4) but that I get to the age of 60, 70 or 80 and my hair thins out. What then?

In no way is Fut outdated today, it comes down to supply and demand. If you have the supply to keep up with your loss demand then either avenue is available to you. If your demand pushes the limits of your supply then fut is the best option. The tougher the case you are the better the fut option becomes for you ie, If you're a high nw, if you're the type with extremely kinky curly hair which may be a tougher fue extraction and so on. Most top fut doctors have gotten the scar down to as small as it can get but your own physiology and your post op recovery will dictate if there will be stretching and then you'll just have to see if a 2.5 grade will cover it, you can usually fade below the scar and get some sort of compromise but over the scar itself it is possible you may have to go a little higher but again maybe not. If you're already at a 2.5 grade, then going to a 3 or 4 isn't the end of the world if it means a full head of hair or better head of hair, so make the choice based on which route allows you to get the hair you want.

Thanks for your input, I feel a bit more reassured. You're right, I will have to compromise with a slightly higher grade but that's doable and I might even be lucky at 2.5. I am a challenging case so I think I will have to go with what gives me the best donation which will be FUT. I keep having the image of that long cut with the staples in and it puts me off, guess I need to find the courage.

Also keep in mind that just like FUE has improved and become a more viable option for many people, FUT has improved as well in that a good strip scar today, combined with FUE into the scar, isn't going to be nearly as detectable as strip scars from the past. There's no one size fits all procedure for anyone out there, so meet with several top surgeons and get their professional opinions, have an open mind, and then proceed accordingly.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Superdudeo, if the surgeon is proficient with trichophytic closure, that should help minimize the FUT scar.

Hey, thanks for the info.

I was just looking up this trichophytic closure. Is it something that would be clearly advertised by the surgeon website do you think? I can't see it on the surgeon I am thinking of going with. It looks like something I'd want though!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, thanks for the info.

I was just looking up this trichophytic closure. Is it something that would be clearly advertised by the surgeon website do you think? I can't see it on the surgeon I am thinking of going with. It looks like something I'd want though!

For a lot of surgeons, this is just the standard way they close the strip these days, so I'm not sure it would always necessarily be advertised. It's definitely something you should inquire about though when researching surgeons and scheduling consultations.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I've never considered FUT for the same reasons most people state but considering I am a challenging case and more hair can be taken with FUT, it is something I am now having to take seriously.

Only thing is I normally have my hair at the back at around 2.5 grade and I think the scar will be visible still.

Is FUT outdated in 2018 or am I being a bit precious?

I don't think FUT will ever be outdated as both techniques FUT and FUE have their place. It really depends on the needs and goals of each and every patient.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY