Any Way To Thicken Existing Hair / Improve Density

ClarkKent77

Hello, everyone. I'm looking for some advice. To be honest, I'm feeling quite desperate, so I really hope someone can help me.

I'm 36 (I'll be 37 in May), and my hair has been thinning for a couple of years now. To the untrained eye, it probably looks like I have a full head of hair, but I have to wear it in a certain style (extreme side parting), and styling takes AGES. It takes me about an hour every day, and I still don't like it once it's done. I use thickening shampoos (Aveda, Aussie, Jamie Stevens, Nanogen) and various other products (Mane coloured thickening spray, Schwarzkopf got2b Powder, Kerastase density paste, Jamie Stevens hair spray). I HATE the whole process, but I feel anxious without these products. In fact, I won't leave home without my hair being "sorted" to my satisfaction. I realise this might sound pathetic, but that's the way I feel.

I think if I got a shorter cut, the thinning would be noticeable. At the moment, the thinning is visible at each "parting", which are wider than they should be.

Anyway, my hair strands seem to be getting thinner and whispier. I have lots of short, lighter hairs, which I assume are terminal.

At the moment, I still have a decent amount of hair, so I am looking for a way to thicken my existing strands. If possible, I would love to improve the density.

I've been trying Regaine for two months, but there has been no visible thickening, and my hair feels increasingly brittle. I would like to try finestride, but my wife and I are trying for children.

Should I try PRP? Is there anything else I could be doing or trying? Anything?

I would consider a transplant to improve my hairline, but I'm concerned that the hair behind is on the way out (albeit slowly), so I wouldn't want to get any work done until my loss is stabilised.

Two months of minoxidil won't give you visible improvement. You have to give it time. PRP can help too and you sound like you might be a candidate due to the amount of hair you say you have. We find that it works better on patients that have moderate thinning but do not rush into anyone's PRP treatment. It is a very inconsistent procedure with few clinics offering the same version so ask your chosen clinic for examples of their PRP results first if you decide to consider it further.

Online representative for Dr. Bernard Arocha

Learn more about Hair Transplants in Texas!

Lipogaine minoxidil is brilliant, for me anyway. Use matching Toppik fibres for density. They're fantastic for giving the illusion of a full head of hair.

I had sides on fin, so had to stop it.

Did you have a shed of hair on the Rogaine then stopped? From experience, you tend to lose a lot of hair a few weeks after starting, before it thickens up again..

Thanks, Dolph.

I’ve tried fibres, but I found them really messy. For me, they don’t work at the hairline.

My hair has definitely gotten thinner since I started using Regaine. That could be because of the Regaine. It could be because my hair is getting thinner.

I haven’t stopped using it. At the moment, I’ve been using it for two months, and I think I’m going to give it six.

I’m contemplating finasteride, but I’ve never had any luck with medication.

Finasteride is probably the cheapest and definitely most affective treatment by far IMO.

It also sounds like you're diffuse thinning on too, so PRP is a good addition too. This isn't cheap, but I think it's showing promise.

I think the new Big 3 is finasteride, PRP with ACELL, and Minox.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Shock loss is possible. It's possible with any treatment though, including fin and minox. Problem is, without treatment, it will only get worse, and at a fairly fast pace. Fin tends to buy you many years and the jury is still out on PRP efficacy with maintenance treatments.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Finasteride is your best bet for exactly your situation. I’ve just started taking Fin about two months ago and no side effects to date. I’m keeping a journal of my progress if you want to check out the thread.