Use of nape hair

Hi all,

I'll start off by saying I don't suffer from any hairloss, nor do I have a family history of it.

I had a 550 graft FUE done (all double hairs, split into 1100 single hairs) from scalp to facial hair region. It has left some gaps in my donor area that you can see when I cut my hair short, and I'm not happy with it.

I have lots of nape hair that I dislike, and have even thought about laser hair removal for it back in the day. Thankfully I didn't, and now I'm considering use of this nape hair to fill in those gaps in my hair. I don't have much in terms of hypopigmented scarring, because my skin is quite fair. But the dark hair to fair skin contrast makes the gaps obvious.

Since I don't like my nape hair, I was hoping to use it for a repair of my donor area. I understand that in some people, nape hair diminishes over time, but 1) I don't foresee it happening in my family, as my father and grandfathers all have their nape hair still and 2) If i lose it in 10-20 years down the road, it would still be worth the years I got out of it.

My question is: Aside from Dr. Umar, who else is recommended for doing these procedures?

Also, I know there is risk of scarring for any puncture of the skin, but how does the nape usually heal? Dr. Umar said nape extractions work very well and don't leave visible scarring if done correctly. I already have a scar from an unrelated medical surgery in the area of my nape, which is likely to stand out more than punch extraction scars, but I'd still like to avoid it if possible (e.g. with use of Acell and PRP?)

Thanks all

nape hair is not considered to be in the "safe zone" of the donor region for extraction - which means it is susceptible to DHT, miniaturization and dying off - which is why surgeons don't use nape hair, besides the fact that you would be leaving a more obvious FUE scaring in a region of your head that is less able to be concealed by longer hair ..

If you try to repair that area with nape hair you may end up worse. I do not think nape hair is a viable resource and that is from physical experience. Be very careful overall. Make sure you get medical records, get actual dslr picture with anyone that does any Procedure for you. Have all documentation and emails as they come in handy.

Im a wreck at the moment and things look worse.

Best of luck to you.

another option to consider to conceal the FUE scarring is Scalp Micro Pigmentation (SMP) - you've stated you only did 550 grafts, which unless the extraction was concentrated in a particular zone instead of a random wider pattern, it should not have been obvious even when you cut your hair short - but check out some SMP posts and reviews and see if that's a viable option for you - certainly much less invasive than having another surgery. good luck

If you try to repair that area with nape hair you may end up worse. I do not think nape hair is a viable resource and that is from physical experience. Be very careful overall. Make sure you get medical records, get actual dslr picture with anyone that does any Procedure for you. Have all documentation and emails as they come in handy.

Im a wreck at the moment and things look worse.

Best of luck to you.

Sean,

Do you have any scarring from your nape hair extractions? And did they not grow for you at all?

Do you mind me asking who did you procedure?

I see all the cases Dr. Umar has done using nape hair and body hair, with success. Is he the best out there for this?

Actually, it seems many people are using nape for various purpose with success, but when I hear stories like yours, it puts me on edge.

Thanks

another option to consider to conceal the FUE scarring is Scalp Micro Pigmentation (SMP) - you've stated you only did 550 grafts, which unless the extraction was concentrated in a particular zone instead of a random wider pattern, it should not have been obvious even when you cut your hair short - but check out some SMP posts and reviews and see if that's a viable option for you - certainly much less invasive than having another surgery. good luck

Thanks home. I have thought about it but I honestly prefer hair in those gaps...at least the ones lower down the donor area.

The reason I want to use the nape hair is because I don't like it (it grows out very quickly and ruins my haircuts after a couple of days; i considered laser removal but would love to use it as a donor if I could).

But i appreciate the concern and the advice.

Has anyone here had nape hair used with success?