SMP pain

The amount of pain depends on the type of application and the experience of the tech. My clients indicate anywhere from a 1-2 on a scale of 1-10. Many of my clients fall asleep and actually say that their scalp feels like they had a massage after and feel refreshed. I have had clients come to me for a re-do after going to other providers indicating that the pain was excruciating and they bled at the previous provider. Scalp micropigmentation should NEVER bleed. If it does, the tech is buying the needle to the stabilizer bar which will in turn cause the blow-outs (large Sharpie-looking points). Scalp micropigmentation is nothing (not even remotely) like a conventional tattoo and the two cannot be compared. The needle is going in as points and not being dragged across the skin and being filled in as a regular tattoo. Scalp micropigmentation takes an extremely light hand. I ceased offering conventional tattoos(after 40 years) at the time I went to full time scalp micropigmentation.

The SMP-MS (multi-session) methods are more painful as you need to return for at least 2 additional applications, and in some cases, reports of up to nine before any pigment remains. I cannot understand why anyone would want to have this done over and over, especially when you end up with a poor tech that drills your scalp with the needle. This eventually leads to scarring and your scalp will eventually reject pigment altogether.

I am the owner of the M. Weston Non-Surgical Hair Restoration Centers and developer of the world’s only patented scalp micropigmentation, The Weston System. My system is a one-session only lifetime application.

I just had SMP into a strip scar - it was absolutely painless - just felt a vibrating sensation, not even like a needle prick, again more of a vibrating sensation. And I had no anesthetic whatsoever. You have more pain getting your teeth cleaned at the dentist's office! Nothing to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...

The pain level, of course, depends on the person's tolerance as well. As for strip scars, it also relates to the scar itself. Sometimes the nerve endings are very close to the surface, other times they are not. So some people feel pain while others do not. But in the hands of an experienced technician, it basically should be a walk in the park.

I am the owner of the M. Weston Non-Surgical Hair Restoration Centers and developer of the world’s only patented scalp micropigmentation, The Weston System. My system is a one-session only lifetime application.

On a 1-10 scale the highest number I've ever heard someone report was a 6 while most say 2-3. The 2-3 guys usually say it's more annoying than painful, or it itches. I do caution clients that the second day is a bit more painful. Typically clients report the front/hairline/temple points are more sensitive an area, crown/vertex not bad at all. Scars either don't seem to hurt at all or can be quite painful. Thankfully scars don't take a lot of time to work on if it's the latter. I have never had a client "tap out" on a procedure and have never had to use lidocaine, etc.

I see many clients take a nap during the procedure (our table is quite comfy) but usually we have a nice conversation or they'll listen to earbuds (podcasts etc).

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• 4 weeks later...

As home1212 I also had SMP into FUT scars and it mostly painless, but it depends on which part of your scalp.

Some areas of the scalp have more nerve endings than others or are thinner and I have read some stories of it being fairly painful for some.

It also seems to be something that is very patient dependent, what was a breeze for some might be downright painful for others.

In terms of other needles, needles to the temple areas for hair transplant were some of the most painful I can remember so if you're having your temple corners/temple points done for SMP there could be a higher amount of pain in this area.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 2 weeks later...
I must have odd skin kr low pain threshhold. First session especially i found really painful. Second i was a little more relaxed but still long way from falling asleep!

I have performed over 4,000 of my method and I have only had a handful of men find it intolerable and three of these men had extensive HT scarring with the nerve endings very close to the surface in the donor areas.

Did you experience any bleeding, however so slight? Inexperienced technicians can tend to have a heavy hand and bury the needle down to the stabilizer pin. Did you have the same tech both times?