Finasteride dose?

My family doctor prescribed 2.5mg daily and a hair transplant doctor prescribed 1.25mg daily. I’m very confused. Can anyone provide some insight on the correct dosage? This will be my first time on Fin. Thanks.

Recommended dose is 1 mg.....I have been taking 0.5mg and feel it's been very effective. Studies show that the increased efficiency from 0.50mg to 1mg is very small (in other words, not worth it). Bit surprised your doctor would start you at 2.5mg.....even 1.25mg seems high to start with. Normally people might ramp up if they have been on a low dose for many years and then it starts to become ineffective.

I just think that's high to start with still....1.25. Propecia is a serious medication...take as little as you can where it can work still and not give you side effects. Taking anything over that is doing no extra good for your hair but will very possibly cause other issues.

Yeah, maybe it's easier.....but it might also cause someone to stop taking it right away when they encounter sides versus them maybe paying a little more to get 1mg pills (and then cutting them in half) but not experiencing much in side effects (thus keeping them on the medication and saving their hair).

Just my 0.02....

I just think that's high to start with still....1.25. Propecia is a serious medication...take as little as you can where it can work still and not give you side effects. Taking anything over that is doing no extra good for your hair but will very possibly cause other issues.

Yeah, maybe it's easier.....but it might also cause someone to stop taking it right away when they encounter sides versus them maybe paying a little more to get 1mg pills (and then cutting them in half) but not experiencing much in side effects (thus keeping them on the medication and saving their hair).

Just my 0.02....

He asked which of his 2 scripts was right. I told him 1.25 was the right one and only because proscars cut into quarters...I didn't make any comment saying not to start lower or to not follow your advice, I simply answered his question...no need to repeat your spiel, put words in my mouth or attempt to lecture me on fin.

LOL, yeah OK.

Your answer was wrong then. Just because you deduce that one doctor ordered 1.25MG because Proscar can be cut into quarters is ridiculous and not an answer, at all. You are simply theorizing why he ordered that dose....without any regard to whether it is right or, more importantly, needed.

LOL, yeah OK.

Your answer was wrong then. Just because you deduce that one doctor ordered 1.25MG because Proscar can be cut into quarters is ridiculous and not an answer, at all. You are simply theorizing why he ordered that dose....without any regard to whether it is right or, more importantly, needed.

1mg is the standard dose. 1.25 is scripted because it is significantly cheaper to get proscar than propecia and I explained where the 1.25 comes from. If you want to argue that 1.25 isn't the most common dose we can have that argument but it is and you'd be wrong. Talk to the majority of patients on this forum and find what they're using and what dose they get. What are docs scripting? We have many docs here, would love to hear what they're scripting, it'll be 1mg to 1.25. So keep trying to find an argument where there is no argument. And don't go down the road of needed, cause this is all vanity, you don't need fin. Go to med school and get the license if you want to play doctor and authorize dosing protocols, til then his hair doctor gave him a dose and his gp gave him a dose, I think they took into regard whether it was right or needed so that wasn't my job he asked a question that I answered... but hey his docs don't care, I don't care, nobody care likes internet matt

You are quite sensitive. You must be fun at parties considering how consistent you are in your posts at being a jackass.

yup it's all me, you didn't start all this...It's always somebody else.

First you made it sound like i was being reckless and then you told me I was wrong, wrong in both cases. I've said my peace tho.

Edited by mikeyhwk
caught ya before the edit.

Seriously guys?

Every one knows:

- 1 mg is the Standard Dosis for hair issues

- 5 mg is the Dosis for prostate issues

- 1.25 is 5 mg divided by 4 as it is much cheaper than 1 mg and it is difficult to divide by 5

- Many start with a lower Dosis or go to a lower Dosis after the feel side effects (real ones or no real ones)

- 1 mg to 1.25 mg will not make a huge difference in effect/side effect

- starting with 2.5 is nonsense

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Just to clarify, the HT doc recommended the 5mg tablet cut into 1/4 so the Rx would be 100% covered by insurance. It works out to 1.25mg dose, but he did mention that 1mg is “standard” and the extra 0.25mg should not be an issue. He suggested I can also try 1/4 tablet every other day if I’m concerned about the extra 0.25mg and sides.

My pharmacist believes my family doctor meant to prescribe 1mg tablets cut into 1/2 (0.5mg). Either way, it doesn’t make me feel any better knowing my family doctor was so far off.

I’ll be starting 1.25mg (1/4 tab) every other day to see how l tolerate it and eventually up it to a daily dose. I’ll keep everyone posted.