Sharpie to conceal scar?

joe121592

Congrats on your ETSMP procedure. :-)

"Extremely Temporary SMP"

- but careful with that man. When I was a kid I had a blister on my hand from playing tug of war and I thought it'd be funny if I colored the blister (half-dome, non-popped blister) with a red marker. Gave me an infection

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Congrats on your ETSMP procedure. :-)

"Extremely Temporary SMP"

- but careful with that man. When I was a kid I had a blister on my hand from playing tug of war and I thought it'd be funny if I colored the blister (half-dome, non-popped blister) with a red marker. Gave me an infection

Its a scar, not a blister.

Next...?

Its a scar, not a blister.

Next...?

If hair can grow through a scar (assuming a trichophytic closure), then blood flows to the surface of both a scar and a blister. If blood can flow to the surface, then your little Sharpie pen can penetrate the surface of your scar just like my blister. See what I'm saying, sport?

If you want people to make other suggestions, as your original post indicates, you'll get more responses by maintaining a less condescending tone. I was only trying to be helpful.

Next?

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Temporary/Non-permanent Scalp Micropigmentation would be my choice:)

Many guys also use Dermatch to cover a scar, especially in the few months post-op (when a Sharpie would certainly not be advisable).

How wide is your scar? Is it flat and white? I'd be curious to see pictures of your Sharpie work.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

• Moderators

I've tried an eyeliner pencil a few times. Works great. You don't have to color in the area like a marker. I just make some lines going in the same direction as my hair. I only do it to see how my hair would look filled in, but I have never actually gone out with it like that. It's hard to wash out so you shouldn't have to worry about rain or sweat messing it up very much.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I think using some sort of eyeliner pencil would be a much better option as well. Much less risk of your skin getting irritated over time by using the sharpie, and you can get a color to almost exactly match your hair.

About 10 years ago, I got a haircut by a lady at a local mall who had almost no experience cutting men's hair. (I didn't know this at the time.) When she took the clippers to trim around my ears, she buzzed me bald about a half an inch above my ears. Haha. I immediately walked to the Macy's makeup counter for help and they suggested I buy an eyeliner pencil to fill it in until it could grow back, which I did. It worked like a charm for the the week or so that I was missing two chunks of hair on each side of my head.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried mascara and I must say this is by far the best concealer I've tried yet. Got some tips for YouTube on, "How to thicken your Mustache." I tried Waterproof mascara from Maybalean. Even my wife was surprised.

Note: I had three FUT procedures and one FUE into the scar which comcealed the scar about 50% (Dr. Umar fue)

Because of this finding I will not go through another FUE procedure into my scar. I can live with putting on this mascara to conceal my scar.

I hope this helps some of you.