Quick question

I'm sure I'm overreacting but I'm 13 days post op, all scabs and crust are off. So I am sitting outside with a hat on and my 5 year old niece lightly taps the top of my head twice. Now she doesn't know I had a procedure but needless to say I was pissed. Anyone have a situation like that happen? I'm sure I'll be fine

You're just in paranoid mode, understandably, at this point if there's no blood you're in the clear as a general rule of thumb...stay away from your niece's reach for a little longer though ;)

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

You're totally fine. :) While your paranoia is perfectly understandable and normal, at 13 days post-op, rest easy knowing your grafts are secure. And Speegs is right that no blood = no lost graft. Tbh, the main thing you need to worry about moving forward over the next 6 months is to avoid sun exposure on your scalp, particularly the recipient area.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Yeah, the sun is a bigger enemy at this point than the hands of a five-year-old! Good to hear that you're wearing a hat :)

Even at any earlier time before the grafts are secure, I don't think a few taps on the head would do any damage. Obviously best to avoid these things though.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

As others have said, at almost two weeks those grafts are secure and resilient enough to survive most things. Nothing to worry about.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

Coach,

You will definitely be fine but yes, I've had things like this happen and yes it definitely pissed me off. The last thing I needed was somebody touching my fresh grafts with a risk of losing them. And I've had nieces and nephews try to take my hat off and tap my head and all kinds of stuff and they didn't even know I had a procedure. It was very angering but at the end of the day, nothing was affected. A tap on the head 5 days post op isn't going to affect your follicles. But do take caution around your niece and don't let her around your head very often.

Best wishes,

Bill

It was funny coming up with the reason I had to explain to a 5 year old why she couldn't tap me on the head.

I definitely stay out of the sun, but if I am outside I wear a UV blocking hat and I am always under under an umbrella or something.

• 1 month later...

I have a quick question about sun exposure. Are scarves/headbands good enough, or are hats better? Of course, I won't have to worry about sun exposure for another week here in Houston due to the rain we're supposed to get :eek: Fine rainy week to have a hair transplant......

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017

Hats are definitely better. It really depends how dense the fabric is that is covering your grafts.

You want to keep your scalp out of any sun for at least 4 months post-op IMHO, and some docs recommend 6 months.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Gillenator - thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I have a couple of baseball caps. I really don't stay out in sunlight that much (I have a natural tan), but it is hot in Texas. I just got some new headbands that're made out of polyester microfiber, & you can double layer them like a beanie if you want. I won't be able to wear regular beanie hats for months cuz it'll be too hot :P I saw a video of one guy that said he had his done in November & just wore a beanie for a while.

2000 FUT with Dr Bernardino Arocha - August 2017