Propecia / Finasteride Dosage Question

I started taking finasteride at the beginning of the year. Before I did, I got a baseline test of many of my different hormone levels (everything was in the normal range). I initially took 1mg and noted fairly immediate sexual side effects. I then lowered it, and stared taking 1/4 of a pill every other day (so basically, 0.125mg). I noticed some occasional sides, but nothing too dramatic. After 3 months, I got my DHT level checked and started taking 1/4 pill every day (0.25mg) and noticed some increased side effects.

I just got my test results back, my DHT level went from 63 ng/dL before finasteride to 12 ng/dL while taking 1/4 eod: 0.125mg.

My question is, is that an effective drop in DHT, enough to result in the cessation of hair loss? And if so, should I drop back down 0.125mg, or go off of it until the sides are gone before starting back up at just 0.125mg?

Thanks.

That is very good. An 80% drop in dht.

There's some studies that were done which gave the median drop of a 1mg per day dose of 68.7%, 0.2mg per day was 61.7%, 5 mg 69.2% and 0.01mg 10.8%.

You could probably get away with 0.25mg, Mon, weds, Fri OR every 2 days.

I have done the former before but nowadays just take 1mg once per week for simplicity. DHT doesn't bounce back to normal levels very quickly.

(Never had a dht test but have considered it)

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I wound't put too much stock in your DHT test results. The assays they use to measure DHT are not very accurate. Did you also get your Testosterone measured? If so, what were the before and afters on that? The sensitivity limit of the tests for steroid hormones is very close to the blood DHT levels for most people but for testosterone the average is much higher, so it is accurately measured. DHT does not dissolve well in water (and blood) so most DHT circulates in the blood as a sulfate or glucuronide metabolite so you need a DHT-g test for more accuracy.

That is very good. An 80% drop in dht.

There's some studies that were done which gave the median drop of a 1mg per day dose of 68.7%, 0.2mg per day was 61.7%, 5 mg 69.2% and 0.01mg 10.8%.

You could probably get away with 0.25mg, Mon, weds, Fri OR every 2 days.

I have done the former before but nowadays just take 1mg once per week for simplicity. DHT doesn't bounce back to normal levels very quickly.

(Never had a dht test but have considered it)

How long did you take 1 mg once per week? Thought your previous regimen and dosage were 1 mg ed...

What was your goal, to avoid/minimize side effects? Did you notice some difference after that?

DJ,

A licensed physician who prescribes and treats patients with low dose finasteride for hair loss would be best able to answer your question.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

DJ,

A licensed physician who prescribes and treats patients with low dose finasteride for hair loss would be best able to answer your question.

How do I find a doctor with such a specialty? I live in NYC. I'm not sure how to search for that specific kind of physician.

Thanks.

How long did you take 1 mg once per week? Thought your previous regimen and dosage were 1 mg ed...

What was your goal, to avoid/minimize side effects? Did you notice some difference after that?

I've been on it since early 2013 but it has varied from 0.5mg to 3mg total per week.

Tried once, twice, 3 times a week, EOD, daily 0.25mg etc.

I certainly cant handle daily due to brain fog issues. Mon-Wed-Fri, 0.25mg just about worked but I'm not too fussed anymore so just pop one pill on a Friday night.

Sometimes I wake up Saturday morning feeling lethargic, other times not. Whatever it is it usually wears off by lunchtime.

I haven't lost any noticeable head hair since 2012 and the most I shed seems to be leg and arm hair.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

How do I find a doctor with such a specialty? I live in NYC. I'm not sure how to search for that specific kind of physician.

Thanks.

Any reputable HT physician recommended in this community should be able to address your questions.

Just develop a letter with your questions on a Word document and then send it to the NY doctors recommended here.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Will repeat, don't put much stock in your tests or even scalp/serum DHT levels from certain studies. The most relevant study for your concerns was the initial dose ranging study which showed various doses and the subsequent hair count achieved at the end of the study. 0.2mg/day WAS effective. Not as effective as 1mg, but if you want the positive benefits of fin I'd reccomend trying to take atleast 0.2mg/day. Less COULD be effective, but that is the lowest dose we have hair count related data for.