Exploring surgery. Advice needed

New to the forum. Been struggling with hair for some time. Thinning. Tried propecia but doesn't work. Exploring some options. Like surgery. There are good doctors out there but hard to find the right one for me. In my 50s but feel youthful. Wanting to be recommended to a few that are good. I welcome all comments.

Eyeballing it i'd say you're close to a Norwood 3a, looks like some discernible thinning in the frontal tuft along with recession.

In my opinion, if you were only a Norwood 2, that would be an age appropriate hairline and I wouldn't worry about it, restorations for advanced hair loss typically don't exceed bringing it back beyond a Norwood 2 level as it is.

How's your crown look, is it all frontal loss?

How long did you try propecia? Did you have side effects or do you think it doesn't work because your front thinned?

Typically propecia protects the crown and mid scalp the best, which allows you to focus surgical restoration upon the frontal third.

I too had a Norwood 3a hair loss pattern at the beginning of my transplant journey, so let me know if you have questions.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Yeah you're probably right about my norwood. Looking at the norwood graph you need a second opinion. Its handy to.

I've been on propecia for about 1 1/2 years. Not much changed.

Was looking at Dr. Diep and Arocha. Love their work. Whats your take on them?

Yeah you're probably right about my norwood. Looking at the norwood graph you need a second opinion. Its handy to.

Where do you live? It's good you seem willing to travel since those doctors are far apart geographically.

I'd consult with them and a few others and cross reference what they all have to say.

My personal opinions of those two specific physicians are few as ive no prior experiences with them, though Arocha has been a steady presence on this forum for several years.

Only doctor I can vouch for with any first hand knowledge is Dr Steven Gabel out of Portland.

But there are a number of good doctors to research and consider, glad to help you navigate those questions if you want some help, we veterans of transplants know it can he confusing and overwhelming.

Edited by Speegs

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

For your age you have maintained well.

And for your level of hairloss Dr. Konior (FUT and FUE) and Gabel (FUT) would do a great job and I don't think you'd require that many grafts to achieve your goals. I'm a huge fan of Konior and 3 time patient with him.

Research the pros & cons of FUT vs FUE then narrow it down from there.

Other FUE docs are Diep as mentioned and Vories.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Propecia aint working. Wont extend myself on it anymore. No use.

Checked out Konior hes good. But need more density than he can give. Need more grafts than you think. Had a very full head of hair. But something in life made much of it fall out. Wont go into details. But need as much density I can get to where I was before this "accident". Checking out 2 other drs.

Fut? Yeah read on it. Will do most likely.

Checked out Konior hes good. But need more density than he can give. Need more grafts than you think. Had a very full head of hair. But something in life made much of it fall out. Wont go into details. But need as much density I can get to where I was before this "accident". Checking out 2 other drs.

Hmm, in all my time here I can't remember a new user ever saying that about Konior, sounds more like a past user (obsessed with density) coming back under a new alias.

Konior is not known for poor density btw.

I could be wrong here, maybe you have us fooled with the new avatar. Who knows..

I'm done responding to these type of posts without detailed pics, you just never know who is really posting. One thing I hate more than anything is someone that wastes mine and other's valuable time.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Never said he gives poor density. Hes very good dr. Just looking at options like hair systems too. Fake hair. But lots of fibers. Just comparing options.

Not wasting my time. but ok

Edited by goodwally

A piece will definitely give you more "density" than a HT, but it will not give the freedom of having your own hair back.

Also the maintenance plus the chance of being outed at some point at time at work or in social circles would make it something you might regret. Once you start you will be trapped sporting that level of density with no going back.

If my subsequent HT's later in life hadn't worked out I most definitely would have shaved it all before ever choosing a rug (just my opinion).

Anyway there are forums for hair systems on this site you may want to check out in the meantime anyway.

go dense or go home

Let me get this right. A NW2-3 ish virgin is worried about frontal density to the point of considering a hair piece? It would seem to make sense to first have an in person consult to see how one's donor is. Perhaps using someone like Spex might make sense as well?

Edited by David - Moderator

A consultation with a third physician can help you decide if your expectations with surgery are reasonable.

If you have any crown recession, consider having a very conservative procedure if you must. You seem to be maintaining and stable. Think about how your hair style might change as a result of surgery. Take your time with the consultation process.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I will. Problem is I'm nervous the transplant might fudge up. Looked at Spencer Kobren's radio show. He warned that even the best drs can foul things up. And you end up with a bad transplant months later. Being careful now who to see.

definitely analyze the surgical protocol of the clinics you shortlist. Who is doing the surgical aspects of the procedure and what tools are being used. If they are using new tools, they should have couple experience with them or at leadt some time to get comfortable with the tools.

This industry is dangerous, so definitely choose wisely.

Dr Konior, Dr Gabel are great. Dr Feller/Dr Bloxham also putting out good results.

Best of luck.

In my 50s but feel youthful.

Welcome Wally. I too am a guy in my fifties and have had two transplants in last 4.5 years. It is difficult to make full judgement from just one picture, but it appears to me that with the right surgeon you could achieve a result that most guys our age would be pleased with.

Of course it all depends on budget and what your goals are. It is also important that you have realistic expectations that you discuss with an elite doctor before having surgery. You are wise to take your time, study this and other websites before making your decision.

I suggest choosing a surgeon that does hair transplants full-time and has a great reputation. If possible don't make your decision based solely on price or locale. There are some great doctors in North America easily accessible by plane that can make a big difference in your appearance.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I am 53 and you can search for my results on the forum.

Wally, there are a number of very good hair transplant doctors out there today.

It is not like 30years ago.

It is a matter of consistency, but most of the industry leaders are consistent; with high quality, using donor efficiently (minimizing waste maximizing survival) and using hair affectively (using the right amount, distributing the hair in a way to get the most from it and rationing it for future progression).

This is the key behind the genius of hair transplantation. The leaders and most proven are quite consistent, but none of us can match normal density, even using the donor as a efficiently as possible. So you need to set proper goals even in the best of hands for density and what transplant can provide in regard to normal density.

If the clinic is consistent and your goals are in line with density a coverage you will be happy.

At your age, my age it is also about being age appropriate.

Patient Educator, Shapiro Medical. Going on 20years with Dr Ron Shapiro......not a regular poster, I leave that to Janna