Bleeding from recipient site 4 months post-op - lost graft?

Hey everyone,

I woke up today and noticed that I had some bleeding at a recipient site (I am 4 months and 1 week post-op). So I gently massaged the area and I noticed something that looks like a scab on my finger. Please check images of the bleeding and the scab (or whatever that is)

Is that a lost graft? If not, what could that be and why did that happen at this stage?

The doctor suggested using an antibiotic ointment on it as it might be folliculitis. Rest of my scalp is fine except for some peeling or dryness.

Opinions?

1.jpg.f96ed974eb17b669a7ff08e059fdc6d2.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.d214a76554e1a8111b569b96721a4111.jpg

It is most likely just an ingrowing hair that you now have removed. Whether the hair regrows at this stage is hard to say for sure but I would see no reason why it would not.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

Very unlikely to be a graft issue beyond a potential ingrown hair, those puppies are pretty well rooted to the point of having to be surgically removed at this point.

Did you get a bug bite? Bump your head? Have an outbreak? Scratch your head too hard?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I understand the paranoia about your grafts but after the first two weeks they're pretty much universally a part of you.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

The grafts are completely lodged within the first couple weeks after the hair transplant, so I would rule that out completely at this stage. The fact that you have dry/peeling scalp makes it much more likely that it's just an infected hair, most likely caused by bacteria getting into an open area of the scalp. As David said, I don't see a reason why the hair won't grow back.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

In the first photo, it definitely looks like a crust (dead graft tissue) and sometimes when a crust is left on the scalp for that long of a period, it can fester and even get infected.

The good thing is that it is now removed and the area should heal up just fine. The antibiotic ointment will definitely help IMHO.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY