Is Nizoral everyday too much?

How many times a week would you suggest using Nizoral shampoo? I have been using it everyday for about a month or two now (I wash my hair with H&S shampoo first to clean the scalp and then use the Nizoral afterwards - leaving it on for as long as it takes me to brush my teeth; a minute or two +/-). However, I have been reading on other posts that this is bad and is too much. What is the concensus then?

Use it 2x week or risk experiencing shedding.

It will sneak up on you, trust me.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Yes it's an anti-dandruff/seborrheic dermatitis shampoo containing the active ingredient ketoconazole which helps kill fungus in the scalp.

It can be very helpful for this use if used correctly.

Ketoconazole was proven in some studies to reduce DHT in the scalp and thus it was often touted in the past as one of the "big 3" solutions for hair loss. The problem is the shampoo is very harsh and drying containing other ingredients such as hydrochloric acid, the shampoo can dry out the sebaceous glands if overused and people who have just had a HT or who already have a compromised scalp or hair follicles should avoid using it.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Every day is way too much. Like most guys using it for hair loss, I used to use it twice weekly. I never had any shedding or side effects with it but decided to quit using it after my last bottle finished several months ago because I felt it wasn't doing much for my hair.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

How is your hair now David? Is it the same I really don't want to start using something that will cause me to shed. What shampoo are you using now.

- Do the majority of people who are thinning use a conditioner? Is it necessary?

Edited by primomusic

• 1 month later...

Nizoral is great for me in moderation. I started using it for my seborrheic dermatitis. It cut down on my itching and inflammation and made my hair appear thicker. 2x a week at most.I think it can be bad for kidneys in excess. What volumizer conditioner do you recommend?

• 1 month later...