What things impact growth

So once you're done with the shedding of the hair grafts, what things can contribute to good hair yield in the weeks ahead? Are those grafts secure at this point so that you can continue on with most normal activities, or does your lifestyle (working out/alcohol) impact the survival of the grafts? What do you guys think?

So once you're done with the shedding of the hair grafts, what things can contribute to good hair yield in the weeks ahead? Are those grafts secure at this point so that you can continue on with most normal activities, or does your lifestyle (working out/alcohol) impact the survival of the grafts? What do you guys think?

Excessive Caffiene and Smoking are thought to factor into patients who experience poor growth.

This is pre and post-op.

Excessive sun exposure to grafts during the first 3-4 months is thought to contribute as well.

After your grafts are secure, it is unlikely that working out will harm them. As far as alcohol goes, again, after a couple of weeks post-op should not have any real effect that I have heard of. (I say the 1st couple of weeks b/c I have heard too many stories of people going on post-HT getting drunk and banging their heads!!!) And yes, THAT can contribute to poor growth icon_biggrin.gif

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I don't know about coffee. but I would have to say that I smoked all through my 1st HT...Still smoking after 2nd HT....Honestly, it's the worst habit ever...I've tried to quit, but didn't succeed...It didn't affect yield or healing...Had this confirmed by two seperate HT surgeons, (Dr.Konior, Dr. Rahal), actually Dr. K was so surprised how quickly I was healing post HT #2...At 4 days he said I looked better than most of his patients at 10 days..Had almost no swelling, no redness, in rec. and donor...Altough I don't recommend ANYBODY smokes, before during or after a HT...I didn't make a difference for me...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

There is no exact science to positively impacting good growth following hair transplantation surgery. I do feel strongly about the diet including vitamins and minerals playing an important role. The other things like smoking, drinking alcohol, and caffiene probably do play a role. If they are done in moderation most likely they will not cause much damage. If they are abused as in most cases they will probably cause some degree of harm. Exercising a week or so after the procedure should not cause any negative effects and infact might be of benefit. Just make sure not to over flex the neck which may cause stretching of the donor scar.

most of the focus here so far is in what the patient can do to stimulate or promote growth/ yield.

While there are known things that could impact growth rates like folic acid and MSM they only address the rate of growth and not whether or not the grafts take and sprout in the first place.

I believe from all i have read and seen that the extraction, storage, handling and insertion of the grafts probably have the biggest influence in predicting overall yield.

All a patient can do post op is to ensure the grafts are not stressed or disturbed much within the first 7 to 10 days to maximize the chances that healthy grafts "take root" (find a good blood supply).

Back to handling of the graft. Hair grafts start dying at about 8 hours out of the body while kept in ideal conditions like iced Ringer's solution at about 34 degrees Fahrenheit. The death rate for grafts occurs at a rate of about 1% per hour after the 8 hour period. In 24 hours, there will be 24% death rate of grafts, 48% at 48 hours etc.

So clearly if the grafts are not stored continuously in the chilled solution there is a good chance that many grafts will simply be DOA.

There are also plenty of opportunities for the grafts to be mishandled by a technician at any point in the procedure and this will also affect the yield. Exhaustion, carelessness, and lack of training are all things you want to screen for in the technicians that will be handling your session.

so bottom line, it is my view that yield of grafts is largely pre-determined by the care applied during the procedure and not afterwards.

Hair grafts start dying at about 8 hours out of the body while kept in ideal conditions like iced Ringer's solution at about 34 degrees Fahrenheit. The death rate for grafts occurs at a rate of about 1% per hour after the 8 hour period. In 24 hours, there will be 24% death rate of grafts, 48% at 48 hours etc.

GOOD INFO MIKED! icon_smile.gif

take care...

Originally posted by Scorpian:

What kind of vitamins and minerals do you think are important post op

I used this product BOTH Pre and Post op...

Make Me Heal Plastic Surgery Healing Multinutrient Kit (Pre & Post-Op Formulas)

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=13511

I had great results with my transplant. However how is one to know what would have happened if I did not use the product? the $60 was worth the peace of mind. Also the better overall health you are in and how you treat your body, smoking, alcohol, caffeine etc. the better your results will be.