Finally considering surgery after 12 years (long post)

Lol we're here to encourage for sure.

Which parts discourage you?

I think Konior is a great choice btw.

Anyway good luck.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Well I was thinking I had normal male pattern baldness (starting with receding hairline, and eventually the crown, then the two meet) but I guess that's diffuse, which everyone is saying is harder to treat. From some other pics and the guys state of hair, I figured I had a lot to work with/could fill, but now it seems most people are saying to hold off, as there's no telling where my balding will go, but will likely go to a Norwood6. It's just funny because I went to Bosely when I was 20, and of course they tried to sell me then (promising me that in 10 years we'd have stem cell research to regrow hair in a petri dish), and now here I am 11 years later ready to take the plunge, and now it sounds like shaving my head might be the best course of action.

Has anyone worked with Dr. Yates? That's the Artas consultation i inquired about before I checked out this thread and found out about Konior. His results don't look overly impressive, but I did like that he has lots of youtube videos and seems to be somewhat transparent or engaging with his clients.

For whatever work people might recommend I can get with Konior, any idea what that might run me? Also are there payment plans? Their website doesn't mention any.

That's the Artas consultation i inquired about before I checked out this thread

I would really consider staying away from Artas, the docs promoting it are the ones who have spent a lot on capital investment to purchase it, so they need to promote it heavily in order to make their business profitable.

The truth is the FUE masters globally all perform manual FUE, including Konior.

Here is a thread on the details of FUE tools and techniques in case you need more info, it also talks about the drawbacks to Artas.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/169281-ultimate-manual-versus-motorized-fue-thread.html

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I'm also in the same boat as (writehairline). I'm trying to decide between Dr Konior and (Shapiro medical group). One concern with Dr Shapiro I don't see any new work for him on this forum or any other forums.

I would really consider staying away from Artas,

]

Had a friend who went the ARTAS route. The result was "ok" but could have been better in my opinion. The tech has to be perfected first before it can set to be a great selling point.

Hey hey, so I inquired with doctor Konior and sent him all the pics from here plus more specific ones he wanted of my hair. This was his response, which oddly (on a positive note?) contradicts what some people here have been saying with respect to my hair loss being isolated vs. diffuse.

Wanted to get people's thoughts. Is he the type of doctor who would mislead that's just out for a sale?

"The photos you sent show isolated frontal hairline recession with what appears to be a relatively stable frontal tuft. You appear to be a good candidate based on the isolated nature of your hair loss. I believe you will need 1500-2000 grafts for a frontal restoration. The exact number of grafts needed will depend on the precise size of the zone you want filled and on your overall density expectations. High density grafting requires a "dense-pack" approach in which approximately 40-50 follicular units per square centimeter are placed to achieve maximum filling of the zone. The great majority of patients are very satisfied with this density. I do not appreciate any significant thinning in the remainder of the scalp that would benefit from grafting. Your current hair style may allow the use of strip harvesting, but FUE harvesting would be recommended if you opt for shorter hair styles. "

Also, this was his response to my question about people saying I was suffering diffuse loss. This seems extraordinarily expensive, is this normal? Is 1500 grafts enough to do anything?

"Did someone from the forum examine you under magnification to make that diagnosis? You need an in-person exam to determine the status of donor and recipient area miniaturization.

My fee for 1500 grafts using FUE harvesting is $13,600 with additional grafts charged at $8 each. Financing is available via Lending Club."

Wanted to get people's thoughts. Is he the type of doctor who would mislead that's just out for a sale?

Absolutely not, he has the patient's best interest in mind with his recommendations based on my experiences and based on his outstanding reputation overall.

He is also lead author/editor of major hair restoration publications, so he knows his stuff.

https://www.elsevier.com/books/hair-restoration-an-issue-of-facial-plastic-surgery-clinics/konior/978-0-323-18603-2

If price is too high than the European FUE surgeons could be another option as mentioned on the earlier pages of this thread.

go dense or go home

If price is too high than the European FUE surgeons could be another option as mentioned on the earlier pages of this thread.

Thanks so much. Wasn't trying to doubt Konior I'm just nervous as hell as this is a ton of money (like, I barely have 1/3 of that cost in my savings) and I'd be permanently scarring up my head. There's a reason I went into Bosely 10 years ago and still never pulled the trigger on HT haha.

So from what I read Lupunzula, Feriduni, Bisanga, Lorenzo, Cuoto, Dorin, Erdogan were all mentioned.

Is there any consensus about who the top guys are for my situation, or all they all highly respected?

Also does anyone have information on price? If I'm only saving $1,000 the cost to get over to Europe alone might negate any savings.

I can certainly understand as I was a victim of Bosley many years ago in my 20's before eventually finding this site.

You have ruled out FUT then? Just want to clarify that because the price is lower for FUT but with the same or maybe even slightly higher growth yield rates. FUE has come a long way in terms of yields and results, but the costs remain high in N. America.

The Belgian docs as a whole including the 3 mentioned above have solid reputations and results overall.

Dr. Lupanzula is 4.5 euro/graft up to 1,000 grafts and then is 4 euro/graft after that. Dr. Bisanga is around 5.5 euro/graft but depends on how many grafts you get.

Feriduni is in the 6 euro/graft range but it's hard to get a booking with him.

Erdogan in Turkey is 2.5 euro/graft but ASMED always quotes higher than other clinics for graft counts so be prepared for them to recommend 2x or more than others are recommending.

go dense or go home

Example calculation if you were to go with Lupanzula for 2,500 grafts puts you at around $13,000 including the surgery, flights, hotels & meals expenses etc.

And you'd get 1,000 more grafts at a cheaper price than that quoted above.

Surgery: 10,500 euros -> $11,230

---------------------------------

1,000 x 4.5 euro = 4,500 euros

1,500 x 4 euro = 6,000 euros

Roundtrip ticket to Brussels: $1,000

(of course this will vary on season and ticket class etc.)

5 nights at the Catalonia forum hotel near the clinic $350 (*depends on room type etc)

Meals and expenses and souvenirs etc. $420

Just putting one scenario in front of you.

In the end the final results and the trust you put in the surgeon are more important than price.

go dense or go home

'Diffuse' is a word a bit misused on the forum and should only apply to those with complete scalp thinning whereas yours appears to be 'good ole' regular MPB.

I can't really tell what your crown looks like in normal conditions. Mine is a bit on thin side but only noticeable under spotlights. Better to address the front first and take it from there.

Apart from Konior I'd look at Shapiro, Cooley, Gabel, Mohebi in no particular order. (+ Feller & Bloxham for FUT). As far as I know these guys only do 1 surgery a day (per doctor) and have a greater involvement in the surgery.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

'Diffuse' is a word a bit misused on the forum and should only apply to those with complete scalp thinning whereas yours appears to be 'good ole' regular MPB.

Mine is a bit on thin side but only noticeable under spotlights.

y.

Hello matt1978,

As I look at your images you do not appear to be thinning at all. Your transplant is very darn good to me.

'Diffuse' is diffuse no matter how you slice and dice it.