Newbie narrowed to 3 docs advise appreciated

wantingmore

Hi guys first off want to introduce myself I've been lurking around this site for good year plus i believe and want to thank all the users and mod's for this site and the supportive informative environment you've created I've learned so much off here its unreal!

So I've been considering a HT for 10+ years but really seriously in the last year thank god didn't do it 10 years ago wasn't needed then. I have spent a lot of time on here and doctors sites. And I'm strongly considering getting a HT in the next 1-12 months with it likely being sooner than later. I've narrowed it down to 3 doctors which names you'll all be familiar with Hasson, Konior & Rahal.

I've had an in person consult with a sales rep for Dr.Hasson, and an online consult and many emails with rep from Dr.Rahal and I just sent a virtual consult to Dr.Konior awaiting response with recommendation from him.

So my questions if anyone would care to help me out with would be based on the below info I'll leave about the two consults and what I "think" to be correct about the Doc's based on what I know of their styles and opinions on their varying approaches to my situation, what some secondary opinions would be from you guys.

Quick run down I'm 35 years old caucasian with dark brown medium density hair. Slightly above average donor hair but below average laxity (working on that). Been losing my hair for 12-13 years started in front corners and forelock fairly quickly & significant receding back then stabilized around age 27-32 then last 2-3 years very noteable crown loss and some minor/moderate thinning in mid scalp and some more front thinning corners are now bare. Ive tried rogaine and propecia but have had negative sides so haven't used those in 3+ years. (never used either for more than 60 days at any point in time). have been called a Norwood 3-4 by Rahal & Rep for Hasson.

My biggest concern if i had to pick would be frontal rebuild that can deflect bullets :) but would also like crown fixed (would be ok with it not being perfect if need be) and some thickening in mid scalp. but front line ideally rock solid.

1. Dr Hasson sales rep very nice guy suggessted either A. 4000 grafts 2500-3000 in front hairline and back into native hair then 1000-1500 in crown or B. 6000 grafts some variation of the above maybe a bit more in front hairline if going 6k but sprinkle the other 1500-2k in mid scalp. I like second idea based on possibility of maybe only 1 HT ever. My concerns though would be i have a decent chunk of native hair in mid scalp will i lose to much of it to shockloss and end up burning up my grafts then have a good hairline, decent crown and bald mid scalp down the road ? Seems like Hasson is able to get more grafts than the other docs for whatever reason so maybe this ok and he can do even more later ?. From my opinion it seems like Hasson hairline aren't quitte as agressive and are fairly high up which i wasn't as keen on otherwise I think would already decided on Hasson. But seems like his scars are minorly better than Rahal ?

2. Dr.Rahal also suggested 4000 grafts 3kish in front hairline and 1k-1.5k into mid scalp originally said 45Fu/cm zones 1-5 when i raised concerns (not sure they are legit ?)

that I would like to have 50Fu/cm he said could do zones 1-4 then. good idea yay or nay ?They seem reasonably adamant they can't get more than 4k grafts in one shot but will determine in person but are coming right out saying they may never be able to treat the crown and unless they can get more than 4 k this go around won't even consider it and think the remaining

grafts should be saved for future mid scalp if/when needed in future. I wasn't super keen on not having crown work done now or ever and originally thought i could do 1 HT and be good for 10+ years but maybe not the case. I do really like his hairlines of course otherwise based on what I know to this point would be going with Hasson if he could match rahal hairlines. Can I maybe get the Rahal hairline now then do a H&W crown and any more mid scalp work later being they can get more grafts than Rahal can for whatever reason?

3. Dr.Konior haven't got info back yet but really like that it seems like he is able to achieve the same work that the other docs can do but with a noteable amount less grafts is this correct or I'm dreaming ? His hairlines are a bit softer than Rahal though but I do like his still. I'm assuming he will be able to do crown as well as front ? but we will see what he says. Ideally a canadian doc is better due to poor exchange rate me being canadian it will be alot more $ to go see Konior but i won't let this be a final deciding factor.

I've seen a few mediocre or outright poor results from Rahal & Hasson (no one bats 1000 as you say) but of course majority are rock solid. Whereas Konior I can't find any of those mediocre or poor results so this is concerning with the other two there is a small chance it turns out way below expectations. One last minor consideration in the next 45-60 days is ideal time of year for me with work and down time to hide out for recovery for 2 months and i can get in to see rahal in that time which has some clout but obviously cant be used to make to much of the decision. If not done in next 60 days would likely wait till end of next year for those reasons of the safe hide out time away from work for awhile otherwise to busy and couldn't hide.

Hope this all makes sense sorry i know this is a long winded post but needed to get all the details out if you made it this far thank you for your time and look forward to any comments or opinions. I'll attach some pic as well thanks guys!

IMG_1845.JPG.11fa680b2e84f2c6cef92449b81ad1e2.JPG

IMG_1847.JPG.a7c140852cc7f7a7107748c9e00504b2.JPG

5b32f01081747_IMG_41681.thumb.jpg.208f1ff17bbc6c26043e84684e4df4b8.jpg

IMG_1848.JPG.e930a1c523cbeb373eba1b5de5b8c8e8.JPG

Dr. Konior if you can get a booking date, which seems to be the only drawback with going with him recently

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

In person visit to Konior so he can have a look at what's going on. Then make a decision from there.

The crown doesn't quite look bad enough to treat when you could style it out, plus you aren't on meds.

Depending on the quality of existing hairs on top you might be able to get away with 3000-3500. Unfortunately I don't think you would ever be a one HT for life type guy. Bank on needing a top up 10 years later.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Right on thanks guys much appreciate the feedback yeah I'm kind of reevaluating everything and a bit more confused then ever now about what to do below was the response I got from Dr.Konior

"The photos you sent show the very early makings of what may become an advanced hair loss pattern. This statement is based on the photos which show miniaturization throughout the overall male pattern balding region. Although it is possible to begin surgical restoration if you have conservative goals, surgical restoration will provide only a short term density boost since the preexisting hair will continue to thin over time. It is important for you to have a perspective of what your final pattern will be since your surgical options will be based on that final pattern and on the limitations of your donor area. This is even more important in light of your inability to use stabilization medications. I believe the hairline you have drawn is a bit too aggressive considering the fact that donor supplies are limited and there is no way to fully restore the entire thinning zone front to back. A tight scalp is sure to limit a donor harvest. Your frontal zone looks as if it will require about 2000 grafts for a decent hairline restoration. Exactly what can be harvested in a single day can only be determined by an in-person consultation. I would suggest that you consider a slightly higher hairline design as this will better allow distribution of your limited graft reserves a bit further back into some of the other thinning areas that are of concern."

I know it would be ideal for me to be completely bald then get a transplant but i see tons of guys getting work done that have more hair than me but of course maybe they are able to take propecia. Ideally I would like to have some work done now & over time so lots of people don't notice i had a HT versus waiting 5-10 years to go totally bald and not being happy with my hair for those 5-10 years and then get work done and have it be super obvious.

Kind of thinking the one Hasson suggestion of doing 6k grafts now would be a mistake for sure after hearing Konior suggestion better to save grafts for future when mid scalp really needs it. Which maybe leans me towards Rahal get the front redone to reframe face maybe a bit in mid scalp but basically get the rahal hairline bit higher up than originally wanted and just save the rest of the donors for future procedures ??? Side note we can't be more than 10 years away from cloning hairs are we ? They can print a fricking organ for god sakes why do guys still need to go bald at all!!! :) joking of course. Thanks guys!

Sounds like a very thorough and detailed evaluation from Dr. K.

He literally wrote the book on hair restoration as recently pointed out again in another thread, I'd listen to his views. He is also on the conservative side compared with other doctors which really takes the patient's long-term future into consideration.

That said, he seems to indicate he will still work on you with a revised but maybe somewhat higher hairline design.

Rahal would also not be a bad choice if going with FUT.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Right on thanks guys much appreciate the feedback yeah I'm kind of reevaluating everything and a bit more confused then ever now about what to do below was the response I got from Dr.Konior

"The photos you sent show the very early makings of what may become an advanced hair loss pattern. This statement is based on the photos which show miniaturization throughout the overall male pattern balding region. Although it is possible to begin surgical restoration if you have conservative goals, surgical restoration will provide only a short term density boost since the preexisting hair will continue to thin over time. It is important for you to have a perspective of what your final pattern will be since your surgical options will be based on that final pattern and on the limitations of your donor area. This is even more important in light of your inability to use stabilization medications. I believe the hairline you have drawn is a bit too aggressive considering the fact that donor supplies are limited and there is no way to fully restore the entire thinning zone front to back. A tight scalp is sure to limit a donor harvest. Your frontal zone looks as if it will require about 2000 grafts for a decent hairline restoration. Exactly what can be harvested in a single day can only be determined by an in-person consultation. I would suggest that you consider a slightly higher hairline design as this will better allow distribution of your limited graft reserves a bit further back into some of the other thinning areas that are of concern."

I know it would be ideal for me to be completely bald then get a transplant but i see tons of guys getting work done that have more hair than me but of course maybe they are able to take propecia. Ideally I would like to have some work done now & over time so lots of people don't notice i had a HT versus waiting 5-10 years to go totally bald and not being happy with my hair for those 5-10 years and then get work done and have it be super obvious.

Kind of thinking the one Hasson suggestion of doing 6k grafts now would be a mistake for sure after hearing Konior suggestion better to save grafts for future when mid scalp really needs it. Which maybe leans me towards Rahal get the front redone to reframe face maybe a bit in mid scalp but basically get the rahal hairline bit higher up than originally wanted and just save the rest of the donors for future procedures ??? Side note we can't be more than 10 years away from cloning hairs are we ? They can print a fricking organ for god sakes why do guys still need to go bald at all!!! :) joking of course. Thanks guys!

I had to make a similar choice as you. See my write up in the thread below. You may want to also consider Dr Ron Shapiro. He would be a good hybrid between Dr Rahal and Dr Hasson. I do like your approach to going with Rahal for the hairline and frontal third, and then Hasson to do the mid-section and crown. Your key question to the doctors is ask them what they think your lifetime grafts are estimated at. Then plan accordingly.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/181957-dr-rahal-2-245-graft-procedure-fut.html

Thanks for all the comments and opinions guys much appreciated! just when i thought all my hours of research on here lead me to having it all figured out and just needing to pull the trigger I think I need to contemplate a lot of this stuff further and future plans and while i know way more now about it all I know way less about Wtf i should do lol. I agree I think next step is to get as best as possible a donor amount assessment from each Doc as that a good bit of info to decide what is best course of action now and in the future.

Also Mav I just spent a good hour read your whole thread on your journey ( i had read a decent chunk of it before but went through it all again) thanks for the detailed write up and it seems like we have or had for you (past tense) very similar situations as far amount and type of hair loss. Congratulations on your stellar results and I'm glad you are happy with them and good to hear you would recommend Rahal. After seeing some of the post op pics from Rahal office at 2+ weeks etc they sent me I was thinking ok no prob I can do this within a month no one will be able to tell I'll let my native hair grow out and cover it all up well shit like you said it took you 3-3.5 months to get back to preop look that was a reality check as thats what i thought it was before but was starting to get rose colored glasses cause of some of the Dr. pics I had seen so I really appreciate your detailed experience and realness of it. More research to do I'll keep you guys updated as I will be going ahead with HT in the next 12 months but with who and when and how remain to be determined i guess! There is a decent chance I might just take one of Rahal quick cancellation spots here shortly as well and just put some trust in one of the best to do his thing!

All fantastic at strip, but if FUE is going to be your route, go with Konior

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)