Have you ever seen Shock loss as severe as this?

Does it look permanent or temporary to you?

You have to contact your doctor immediately. They can give you a better opinion. I don't think one can tell if a hair follicle is dead by just looking at the surface. The death of a hair follicle involves fibrosis (scarring) which is something that needs to be determined under a microscope, or 10X magnification.

Other posters will give you their recommendations.

take care...

I've seen shockloss like that. while it is severe looking, i'd say it's more than likely not permanent, especially because it's in your donor area. the reason hair is taken from this zone is that it's mostly impervious to mpb. contact your doc for reassurance. also, it does look like you might have some diffuse thinning in the crown area and below, which means you might be headed for a high nw number. are you on meds? if not you might want to consider taking them.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thx guys, mmhce and hairthere.

To mmhce:

I, not surprisingly, already have talked to my doctor about this. And I knew what he would say, and I was right, which is "It will grow back. Definitely." But it got worse and prompted me to search the Web for more info to reassure myself. I came across this forum and looked through the threads for "shock loss" but none looks as horrifying as mine.

To hairthere:

Yes, I'm on meds for a year now, the usual. I will add the fish oil to my regimen. Thx for the suggestions.

I will post my progress here. Thx again.

Kt,

There is absolutely no way at this time to tell if it is permanent or temporary. Statistically, 90-95% of these will grow back the hair that was shocked and the scar will be far less noticeable. Whether it is permanent or not, if you could cite one factor that would determine its probability or not, would be the amount of TENSION that was present after it was closed. The odds are in your favor. In the meantime, I would adopt a little longer hairstyle. Painting a little Dermmatch on the scar can do wonders also.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

kt,

Donor shock loss is typically temporary and will most likely grow back in several months. As Dr. Beehner already stated, the amount of tension on the wound plays a major role in whether or not it would be permanent. If your physician closed the wound under minimal tension, this will significantly reduce the risks of it being permanent.

In the meantime, try not to sweat it and hang in there. Your shocked hair has a great chance of returning back to normal in time.

All the Best,

Bill

Thx Bill, Petchski and Dr Beehner for your encouraging words.

Tension was brought up by my doctor, although he said cases like mine were all that common, especially since it was only a 12mm-wide strip, he said the shedded hair would grow back. I feel better now now that all your views are in line with his. (I freaked out at 1st mainly because all donor-shock-loss pictures I've seen show nothing like mine, with all the hair wiped out similar to patchy hair loss.)

Anyhow, like Bill said, I'll try not to sweat it and hang tough. Thank you all again. I'll post my progress here.

Yeah, it should come back. I would take Dr. Beehner's advice... buy some dermmatch and grow out your hair. That'll make the time go by a bit faster.

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

• 3 years later...

What u need to be more concerned about is how to take care of your scar. Be sure not to stretch your skin back there, or else your scar would be visible even after it has healed.

Best wishes

kt

kt,

I see your original thread was four years ago and wondering if the hair did grow back to your satisfaction. My guess was that it did.

Your donor scar looked very thin in the original link you put up so I presume it is still thin and hardly noticeable?

Maybe you had another procedure since 2009 but either way, I hope everything worked out for you. ;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

What u need to be more concerned about is how to take care of your scar. Be sure not to stretch your skin back there, or else your scar would be visible even after it has healed.

Best wishes

kt

I wont, Ive been rogaining the the heck out of my head. Taking everything you can take. Im stuck in the house like a Hermut. Cant go anywhere! Im starting to see little baby hairs popping through on the top of the suture line. But nothing below yet? its been 2 and a half months post op. Does that take the longest to start to grow. I really appreciate your input. Means a lot.

Mike,