Grafts dont seem to grow longer? For months...

so im about 10 months after my hair transplant. This two haired graft has been there for a couple of months but dont seem to grow longer/taller than this. Anyone knows why, and what i can do about it? I have atleast 20 grafts that are like this..

Thanks.

It was hard taking a good picture but its the short hair that is in the middle of the picture.

Perhaps the new follicles beneath are "slow growers" and the dormant follicle below is still in the resting phase and hasn't pushed out the hair itself yet.

I think I had a few of these but twenty sounds like more than a few. What does your doctor say?

Edited by hsrp10

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Hi Mosd,

That does look like a transplanted hair. If it was thinner, it may be a native follicle that is weak and doesn't spend enough time in the anagen (growth) phase to create a hair with any real length or a strong enough hair shaft that doesn't break.

But because it does look like a transplant, my guess is that it's likely just behind schedule a bit. Probably a FU that is slow to wake up and start functioning normally.

Did you ask your doctor what he thought?

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr Blake, im happy that you answered. Was hoping for that. Im already bombing my doctor with questions so thought that i check with the forum before :)

It is indeed a transplanted hair, and its been this lenght for maybe 2-3 month. Its very thick.

Do you think that it eventually will grow longer?

I'm about 7 months into my FUE and I have noticed this same phenomenon. I count at least two or three hairs like that. Much thicker than surrounding hair but stuck at the same length since at least month 3.

This is my second transplant, the first being an FUT, where I did not notice anything of this sort.

I tried seeing if I can pluck them easily, but they seem very solid. Makes me think they are just slow growers rather than dead all together.

are you sure they grew? Almost all transplanted hair fall out first and then start to regrow. This is an initial hair that was transplanted , that is why its so thick comparing to the other. In my case i just understood that those hair stuck and either dead completely or blocking the way for a new hair . Also such hair gave me inflammation. As it would be a foreign object that force my immune system to reject it. Anyway after around 6 months i just removed them with pincers. They came out extremely easily ,like nothing was holding them .Most of them were folded closer to the follicle as when they were implanted , they were not put straight in to the channel and bended .And i think that is the reason why they didn't survive. Just share my story, consult with your doctor about this situation.

Hi Mods,

I'm going to go against the grain a bit here!

My guess is that it is a "late blooming" follicle and it will continue to grow and mature. Especially if you have 30 of them as you described above.

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I have experienced this too. After the second month (after I shed the transplanted hair), when the hair started to grow again, I saw a few thick hair just peeking out of the skin but refusing to grow any longer. After a month or so remaining in the same length, they fell off and got replaced by a thinner strand of hair which is continuing to grow. I am pretty sure these aren't dead follicles.

I'm hopeful that they indeed aren't dead. I'm at month ten and would be strange if they still haven't shed and are dead.

Also found more hairs like this but about 1 cm. Maybe even 1.5 cm.

I was just about to post the very same thing. I'm at 11 months and although I can't see them I feel what appears to be stubble in my crown.

Will these ever grow ? And what causes this to happen ?

I've had multiple procedures and never noticed this before. I'm wondering if it has to do with scar tissue from past work.

I don't believe they would be "dead" either. Hairs, or follicles more specifically, don't really "die" in this manner. When follicles are weak or no longer function properly, they produce shorter and thinner hairs that shed easily and rapidly as they spend less time in the anagen (growth) phase and more time in the transition and telogen (resting) phase.

If this was a transplanted follicle that decided to "die" at the 10 month mark, it would either slowly "die out" like a miniaturizing follicle, wherein it would produce smaller, weaker hairs that shed easily or it would have for some reason stopped functioning right as that hair was growing normally, which means that short, dark hair would easily break away or detach if you ran your fingers through it. And, frankly, I've never heard of that happening and it's not really how the follicles generally function.