Safe to say the "wow" procedures are from NW3 or lower?

First let me say I'm happy with my results, but I was a Norwood 5A and had 3800 grafts. I dont have great density so if someone looked at my results (a year later) they might not be too impressed, but to me it's a night and day result.

Over a year of looking on this site it appears that the "wow" results are from young guys who had a receding hair line or some thinning. I think it's safe to say for a Norwood 5 or higher you would need at least 6k+ to see a huge difference, am I wrong?

Also, I know it;s been said before here, but I feel bad for young guys who are getting transplants as it could be tough later on down the line as hair loss progresses...

The "wow" type of results come from patients who have thicker dark coarse hair and are able to tolerate Finasteride. This includes advanced NWs. Of course this is for those who have gone with an elite surgeon and had excellent work done, not for all cases.

For the rest of us with fine or average hair caliber I think you have to go denser at 60-70 grafts/cm2 for the hairline and also try to stick with Fin as much as possible, to approach the same level of density.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

IMHO the "wow" factor is pretty subjective and really defined by the eye of the beholder. For me, it comes down to how transformed the individual becomes. So if the hair loss was very advanced before surgery and then ends up with an amazing visual transformation, not necessarily in terms of density but visual coverage, that's the big "wow" factor for me...:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

I agree with both, I think wow is definitely subjective, but I also agree that those with thick coarse hair generally achieve a better visual result that adds that wow factor. There are many members who've achieved wow results, Harin doesn't post anymore but check out his thread he was Norwood 6/7 and his results are definitely wow, he did have dark coarse hair though.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

HTSoon makes a good point that there are a lot of contributing factors - and the "wow" factor can be quite subjective. Personally, I would even say that for me it's sometimes the opposite, as I tend to be more wowed by people with more advanced hair loss. In my case, for instance, I'm one of the ones that started a NW3, and while I'm extremely happy with my results, I sometimes wonder if my results aren't as impressive as someone who started out as a NW5, for instance. It's like "Wow - your results are great, but look how improved that guy is!"

Other side of the coin, I suppose. :)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I guess it is all a question of perspective. On this and other boards I have seen posts by people who were VERY disappointed with their results, but who look great to me. Similarly, I have seen people who really loved their look after surgery but that I thought looked artificial or whose results screamed "I had HT surgery!"

I guess in the end if the patient is happy with the results it is all that matters.

Coarse hair does definitely contribute a huge factor in the visual result because I have heard and read many doctors state that hair caliber is the single most critical factor considered in attaining the illusion of coverage, even over density.

And Louis makes a good point in that if the individual is happy with their results, that's what really counts in the end....;)

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 6 years later...
On 11/17/2016 at 4:25 AM, hsrp10 said:

The "wow" type of results come from patients who have thicker dark coarse hair and are able to tolerate Finasteride. This includes advanced NWs. Of course this is for those who have gone with an elite surgeon and had excellent work done, not for all cases.

For the rest of us with fine or average hair caliber I think you have to go denser at 60-70 grafts/cm2 for the hairline and also try to stick with Fin as much as possible, to approach the same level of density.

Bandit has fine light coloured hair. Karl has light coloured hair. 

I don't think you can say that it has to be dark hair.

Another issue is the scalp to hair colour difference, which usually makes black hair more difficult to achieve satisfactory illusion with than a hair colour such as Bandit's. 

So yeah, I don't think "dark thick hair" is necessarily the holy grail. Coarse certainly will help, but dark can be a hindrance.

Edited by Xanadu
  • Like 1

IMHO the “ideal 3” would be optimal coarse texture, narrow color contrast, slight wave characteristic.

• Like 2

Gillenator

20 hours ago, gillenator said:

IMHO the “ideal 3” would be optimal coarse texture, narrow color contrast, slight wave characteristic.

Agree. For a caucasian man, this how that would look like:

alessandro-dellisola.jpg.c9d48da62c3c6362e23873cb06ecfaab.jpg

Even if he started to bald, he would have a very, very high number of FU in his donor area, and he would need to use less than others with different hair characteristics to cover the same balding area. Basically, cheat code hair type.

"Mature hairline" is euphemism for balding.

49 minutes ago, NegativeNorwood said:

Agree. For a caucasian man, this how that would look like:

alessandro-dellisola.jpg.c9d48da62c3c6362e23873cb06ecfaab.jpg

Even if he started to bald, he would have a very, very high number of FU in his donor area, and he would need to use less than others with different hair characteristics to cover the same balding area. Basically, cheat code hair type.

He still has quite a high hair-skin contrast. With lighter colored hair it would be even more optimal.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 6:52 AM, Xanadu said:

Bandit has fine light coloured hair. Karl has light coloured hair. 

I don't think you can say that it has to be dark hair.

Another issue is the scalp to hair colour difference, which usually makes black hair more difficult to achieve satisfactory illusion with than a hair colour such as Bandit's. 

So yeah, I don't think "dark thick hair" is necessarily the holy grail. Coarse certainly will help, but dark can be a hindrance.

Many good points made here and I totally agree that dark hair with a light scalp color contrast is a significant hindrance because of the high level of light that reflects off the scalp…henceforth any mis-angulation of the grafts will stick out like a sore thumb or any grafts that are a mis-match   regarding hair shaft compatibility will also be visually noticeable especially when there is neighboring native hair that has already diffused in the recipient area…can be potentially very problematic especially in rebuilding a hairline.

• Like 1

Gillenator