how to conceal your HT operation

OK, I know I am being too much by being a smart mouth right after my operation. But, I really think I must share this with those who feel same as mine.

It took me a long time to decide on the HT. I finally did, and it is my 3rd day after the HT op. This message was intended to help those like me, who still can not manage to discuss this attempt with anyone, I mean anyone, not even your family.

I still believe that people around me, my office mates, my oldtime friends would not get my point, and I just don't want to bear this meaningless sessions with each one of them. May be, to a degree, I feel ashamed, so to speak, but I know I did it for myself, and I firmly believed I did the right thing, but this is only something I had to justify myself, not to anyone else.

As for my family, I decided to conceal it from my wife because she is a type of person who can not manage her temper such that she could easily tell this to anyone in a moment of anger. Besides, you know how women are. You think you've closed a subject, understood by the both parties, but they keep reheating and reheating it all the time. I know, for sure, that she might have been very resonable if Ihad told her, but I know that she could use this as a serious weapon against me, like "how I spent that money on my selfish needs and so on" anytime. It is like a golden weapon I'd give her in a very critical moment of conflict.

Anyhow, after a long process of thinking with things like above feelings, I decided to have the HT, and I decided to keep it only for myself. If you are like me, working in a large company, surrounded by many friends from various parts of your life, having both of your parents surviving in the same city as you do, then you have to be very meticulous. Here is how I carried my plan.

STEP ONE: MAKE PEOPLE ACCUSTOMED TO YOU WEARING HAT

Because if you don't wear it normally, it'll take a big attraction and make them ask "why". Once I decided to get HT, I bought myself a nice baseball cap, which I can wear in any social environment. I started wearing it almost more than a month before the operation many many times in various places. This way, after your HT, you'll wear it very comfortably.

STEP TWO: ARRANGE THE TIMING

Arrange your leave from the office, in accordance with the operation day. I arranged it on last Friday, so I worked the thursday as the last day. I took the friday and the rest of the week, which should be enough to return under normal conditions on the monday after next.

STEP THREE: HOME ARRANGEMENTS

I mentioned my wife briefly that I might be working on a weekend at another town for a very special business case, which must be handled carefully (thank god my job is feasible for such travels). I said this about 10 days before so she accepted that I'll be out of town.

STEP FOUR: ARRANGE A HOTEL

nearby the HT clinic so that you don't have to travel a lot, which also increases the risk of being seen.

STEP FIVE: PREPARE A RATIONAL CAUSE FOR YOUR SCALP APPEARANCE AT HOME

I bought one of those minoxidil brands, and took it to my wife to explain what the brochure says. You know why, because the brochure was in French, and she speaks French like a mother tongue. So, she herself read me that this medicine may cause some major irritation, swelling or other things on some skins. Fine, at least she'd remember when I told her that my scalp is irritated by this damn medicine.

STEP SIX: STAY AWAY FROM HOME FOR THE FIRST TWO DAYS

I was planning to stay 3 nights away, but after the second night, I thought it was enough. At least they didn't see me right after the operation.

STEP SEVEN: TELL THE "STORY" AHEAD OF YOUR RETURN

I told her that the medicine caused some major skin irritation so that I had to go to the doctor. I also told her that after seeing my scalp the doc wanted to operate on some of the minor acmes so as to prevent them being infected. This is why he injected me so that I can handle both the operation and the painful medicine "he" used against "mine". So, I prepared her on the phone that my head area is irritated by this medicine that I needed to take some precautions. Since I wasn't completely bold, I can hide majority of the HT views under my hair. I mean, she can still see things once she touches my head lift my hair, but I'll keep it short with fears of intimidation. At least, her eyes wouldn't be stuck on if I had a completely bald head.

I am home now, and my wife didn't return her sunday trip yet. Once she returns, I'll let you know if this plan was bought successfully. The only thing that I am having difficulty is how to explain the head band. I am planning to tell that I have to wear it so that the new medicine doesn't come down to my eyes, or something like that.

Luckily, the hotel was not that crowded, I didn't get caught by anyone while getting the first day wash at the clinic. It was really horrible to sit within a hotel room doing nothing. I mean, I had my notebook computer, many books, but still it sucks to know that your liberty is under control.

Anyhow, this is how I tried to handle my case without telling to anyone (except you people). May be, when I grow up to have more courage, I'll share it with some. I hope the plan works for people like myself.

OK, I know I am being too much by being a smart mouth right after my operation. But, I really think I must share this with those who feel same as mine.

It took me a long time to decide on the HT. I finally did, and it is my 3rd day after the HT op. This message was intended to help those like me, who still can not manage to discuss this attempt with anyone, I mean anyone, not even your family.

I still believe that people around me, my office mates, my oldtime friends would not get my point, and I just don't want to bear this meaningless sessions with each one of them. May be, to a degree, I feel ashamed, so to speak, but I know I did it for myself, and I firmly believed I did the right thing, but this is only something I had to justify myself, not to anyone else.

As for my family, I decided to conceal it from my wife because she is a type of person who can not manage her temper such that she could easily tell this to anyone in a moment of anger. Besides, you know how women are. You think you've closed a subject, understood by the both parties, but they keep reheating and reheating it all the time. I know, for sure, that she might have been very resonable if Ihad told her, but I know that she could use this as a serious weapon against me, like "how I spent that money on my selfish needs and so on" anytime. It is like a golden weapon I'd give her in a very critical moment of conflict.

Anyhow, after a long process of thinking with things like above feelings, I decided to have the HT, and I decided to keep it only for myself. If you are like me, working in a large company, surrounded by many friends from various parts of your life, having both of your parents surviving in the same city as you do, then you have to be very meticulous. Here is how I carried my plan.

STEP ONE: MAKE PEOPLE ACCUSTOMED TO YOU WEARING HAT

Because if you don't wear it normally, it'll take a big attraction and make them ask "why". Once I decided to get HT, I bought myself a nice baseball cap, which I can wear in any social environment. I started wearing it almost more than a month before the operation many many times in various places. This way, after your HT, you'll wear it very comfortably.

STEP TWO: ARRANGE THE TIMING

Arrange your leave from the office, in accordance with the operation day. I arranged it on last Friday, so I worked the thursday as the last day. I took the friday and the rest of the week, which should be enough to return under normal conditions on the monday after next.

I mentioned my wife briefly that I might be working on a weekend at another town for a very special business case, which must be handled carefully (thank god my job is feasible for such travels). I said this about 10 days before so she accepted that I'll be out of town.

nearby the HT clinic so that you don't have to travel a lot, which also increases the risk of being seen.

I bought one of those minoxidil brands, and took it to my wife to explain what the brochure says. You know why, because the brochure was in French, and she speaks French like a mother tongue. So, she herself read me that this medicine may cause some major irritation, swelling or other things on some skins. Fine, at least she'd remember when I told her that my scalp is irritated by this damn medicine.

STEP SIX: STAY AWAY FROM HOME FOR THE FIRST TWO DAYS

I was planning to stay 3 nights away, but after the second night, I thought it was enough. At least they didn't see me right after the operation.

I told her that the medicine caused some major skin irritation so that I had to go to the doctor. I also told her that after seeing my scalp the doc wanted to operate on some of the minor acmes so as to prevent them being infected. This is why he injected me so that I can handle both the operation and the painful medicine "he" used against "mine". So, I prepared her on the phone that my head area is irritated by this medicine that I needed to take some precautions. Since I wasn't completely bold, I can hide majority of the HT views under my hair. I mean, she can still see things once she touches my head lift my hair, but I'll keep it short with fears of intimidation. At least, her eyes wouldn't be stuck on if I had a completely bald head.

I am home now, and my wife didn't return her sunday trip yet. Once she returns, I'll let you know if this plan was bought successfully. The only thing that I am having difficulty is how to explain the head band. I am planning to tell that I have to wear it so that the new medicine doesn't come down to my eyes, or something like that.

Luckily, the hotel was not that crowded, I didn't get caught by anyone while getting the first day wash at the clinic. It was really horrible to sit within a hotel room doing nothing. I mean, I had my notebook computer, many books, but still it sucks to know that your liberty is under control.

Anyhow, this is how I tried to handle my case without telling to anyone (except you people). May be, when I grow up to have more courage, I'll share it with some. I hope the plan works for people like myself.

Mortimer,

In all honesty, I would have to say that it would drive me nuts! At least my home is one of the places where I can feel "safe" and not have to hide anything from anyone. I'm not trying to talk you out of your plan, but you might feel a great weight lifted off your shoulders if you tell her. I know it's helped me to talk to close friends and family members. (my wife was in on it from the get go)

If she does find out that you had a HT, will she be mad at you for trying to hide it from her?

In any case, I wish you the best of luck. Here's a concealer tip:

I had to go to my wife's high school reunion one month after surgery. I'm very fair skinned and the redness was quite obvious. I used the blonde Dermatch in my stubble (they buzzed my head for surgery) and it matched the color of my skin, more than my hair. It hid the redness and no one stared at my melon all night. Concealers got me through the holiday with no sweat. Good luck.

It's great if you can pull it off but I really don't see how you can hide it from your wife and it doesn't say much for the relationship between you and your wife if you can't discuss such things with her. My wife was not in favour of my HT. She wanted me to know that she loved me, hair or no hair, but she did support me fully when she reaalized that I wasn't doing it for her but doing it for myself.

What about your barber/hairstylist? It will be pretty hard to keep them from noticing unless you plan on growing your hair for the next nine months.

Thanks for the answers....she was back, and to my luck, she bought the story...at least so far....

I agree with most of your views, the house must be the ultimate safe harbour, and it is for me as well. I just thought that my wife would take this as my biggest selfish act with too much cost. This is why, I think, she would bring it up all the time to my face eventhough she appears to accept it now....I know this pretty well. Few years ago, we had a sort of misunderstanding about an affair, which I didn't have, but she thought I had. I explained her all the details with rigid evidences that I wasn't involved with anything. She still brings this matter up and drives me crazy. As for HT, she finds it absolutely nonsense when we discuss it, and that's why I just didn't feel like taking this extra burden.

By the way, how long would it really take for my barber not to realise the scar in the donor area? That was the part I didn't take into consideration. May be I switch barbers for sometime.

Mortimer,

Oh my God! Your wife better hope that you never develop more nefarious intentions.

Just don't ever let the words "greffes de cheveux" accidentally slip out of your mouth.

Thanks for sharing your story. Let us know how this goes during the coming year.

Paul

My Surgery With Dr. Sharon Keene

shed,

When my hair was buzzed I did use the light brown concealer (Dermatch) on the donor scar. I used it only after the staples were taken out. Before that, I wore a Kangol hat everywhere.

Mortimer,

You could always tell your hair stylist in confidence. After all, he/she will need to work with you to help with styling during this "reconstruction" phase. The guy that cuts my hair knows to leave it long enough in the back to not expose the scars, etc. Besides, he was so thrilled when I came back in after sugery (before the grafts fell out). They'd never seen high quality HT work in their salon before.

Mortimer.....nice posts...

I, too, was on the deceptive side about my HT and planned everything well in advance. Although I didnt have to deal with the spouse situation.

As far as the barber goes, unless you're doing something very specific with your hair, I'd recommend definitely using a differnt barber. I actually let my hair grow out much longer than I normally would so as to give the scar time to heal and be covered in the back. The last thing I'd want to do would be to tell your regular barber....after all...talking is the main thing being done at the barber shop. Even if he never mentioned your name, talk could circulate, guessing starting, etc etc. I just went to a barber in another town for at least the 1st couple times I got a haircut post-op.

As far as the scar "returning to normal", could you be more specific? Are you talking about redness vanishing, for the skin to seam together?

**** May be, when I grow up to have more courage, I'll share it with some. I hope the plan works for people like myself. ****

Mortimer,

when I have an HT I plan to not tell anybody either (say I'm taking drugs). I live on my own and will go for FUE so I am hoping that will help.

If you manage to get away with this I recommend you never tell anybody you know whatever the temptation. Even if people suggest you had surgery flatly deny it. The sad thing is people can be very hurtful without realising it (although some sub-humans do it quite deliberately as well). I know if people at work found out about such work they would never let me forget it - good grief I have been bald for 15 years and it is still mentioned every other day by somebody.

Best of luck and keep us updated on how you get on.

Screw OTHER people. They may not be bald but they got their own pathetic lives to lead. EVERYONE realizes there are people or circumstances that they will never be able to live up to - that's why they dog other people, for the self-imposed illusion that for maybe one minute they may seem "better" than someone else. Why do you think so many people watch Jerry Springer? To validate their own pathetic lives.

I'll tell you what, think of the people who were around when you may have been at your lowest low. Now think of the people that are still around - those are the people you should give a sh*t about. Regardless, number one should be you. Remove all the negatives from your life and live for the positives. You got an HT - great start! Who's better than you?

(Stepping off my soapbox...)

Chaos, panic and disorder...my work here is done.

Chaos, panic and disorder...my work here is done.

I really liked the things written for this message. It gives me all the perspectives of a subject. Like we all know, there is no single "right" or "wrong" in this case. There are only personal preferences here. So, I judge noone here. I only sympathise with those who think like myself.

Actually, long before my decision to go ahead with the HT, I was the one who openly discussed the HT operation in public. To me, this is a much more legimate operation than a woman having a silicon piece planted into her brest. At least, these are your own hair, only to be taken from one part of your head to another. The roots still belong to you. Unfortunately, in our current society, things which are way too artificially done for women seem normal whereas such a natural transfer of hair location is perceived to be "abnormal" by some. I remember some famous soccer players here, who were loosing considerable part of their hair, and both had complete hair piece transplanted. It's like complete new image from sunday to monday. Now, they all look ok, as if they have always been like this.

In my case, I just didn't want to take the discussions, like why the hell I spent this much money in this economic crisis, why did I do it as a married man and on and on. I did it myself, and I want to carry the pros and cons on myself.

By the way, my wife still didn't feel anything yet. She sometimes wonder why I still put some ice on my forehaed, but all my excuses seem to work. As for my barber, I am going to have think something for him too, but he is more expandable for me anyways. I agree with those that say "never talk to the barber", because this news would get to some places I can never imagine. I am to tell this my barber, I would have told my wife several times already.

For me, I must admit that there were days that the work environment produced anxiety. And even though the cats out of the bag, I still feel some anxiety to this day, but it's not as intense as it was. What would I say? How would I respond? And would I respond differently to diffent types of people (the nice people vs. the wise asses). Basically, I decided to take the honesty route for both types. But I put pre-determined limits on my responses and reserved different answers for each group. For example, for the bald, good guy who genuinely wished for advice and guidance, I was generally forthcoming and accessible. Why not help a follically challenged comrade?, I thought. For the wise-ass types, I became generally inaccessible and aloof (fortunately there were less of these types than I had expected). I chose to respond in a friendly manner that I would be willing to divulge my secrets if he would be willing to donate $50. to the charity I support. Interestingly, it ended the conversation instantly and effectively. If you like this approach and choose to use it, it helps to smile. It drives the wise-ass nuts! One of the trends I noticed in all people is that they all seemed to ask a series of questions which ended with the final question, "how much did it cost?" It almost seems like they are setting you up and softening you up with a series of questions that leads to this one question...and this question is really the only one they care to have the answer for from the outset. Make sense to anyone? The money question continues to bother me and I tend not to answer it. First I don't think it's anyone's business. And secondly, I think that in every case the questioner is being a little sneaky in that it's really all they want to know and if they could find how much you spend, bingo, the judgement is made. How badly this must be bothering cul-de-sac and how vain cul-de-sac must be, that he's willing to spend x dollars to satisfy his vanity.

When I refused to divulge the answer to costs, some people got annoyed. Too bad! One week I even kept a utility bill in my wallet. When this wise- ass asked, how much?, I sprung my bill on him. Pay this bill and I tell you how much I paid. His chin dropped, and he stopped the inquiry/inquistion immediately. And another helpful reponse was this. The prober asked, "What happened to you?" I looked down at my hands and up at the sky, and told the questioner, "I don't know what happened...I went outside last night during a full-moon, and oh_____, look at me now!" This always brought on a laugh. Or, I ask the prober,"have you heard of Harry Potter?" They respond, "well, of course." My comeback, "Well, I'm Hairy Potter." Another laugh, and end of discussion. I sincerely hope that my posting can be helpful to some of you out there in some way. All the best, and Happy holidays.

My earlier post to this thread was glib, but this is an interesting subject that we've all had to deal with in one way or another.

After my surgery, I decided to be reveal that I'd had hair transplants to everyone that I was around with any regularity. I had some anxiety about it, but in my own case, I was convinced that the anxiety was insecurity, rather than anything negative that others would actually think of me.

I??m fortunate that I'm really not around people who are habitually critical or cruel. Being almost 50, my friends and associates tend to be less critical. We've all been chastened enough by life to have eased-up on other people. Just when you think you're better than someone else, you find out how big of a fool you are.

I've found that for some people my candidness about surgery actually seems to be a good thing. It certainly freed my business partner to tell me about her Botox injections and a few other procedures that have kept her looking about fifteen years younger than she really is.

I realize that acceptance is far from universal and that plenty of people are real a**holes. But, I haven't heard anyone on the board talk about really taking grief about their surgery. People have talked about uneasiness or awkward moments, but I don't recall reading about any downright meanness. (Note: We all pretty much know that spouses are in a different category from everyone else in the world. They can either rise to the occasion like no else ever could, or they can sink to some places that no friend would ever go.)

So, I'm curious to know if anyone has actually encountered mean or cruel reactions to their surgery. If so, what were the circumstances and could you have prevented it in hindsight?

[This message was edited by paul148 on December 30, 2003 at 07:54 AM.]

probably honesty is the easiest. but being evasive is more fun.

People have to respect honesty. Some someone else put it well that it is not just honesty, but how you take the "ribbing". I mean what face you put on. Do you shy away and look ashamed or bashful? Or do you smile openly and remain enthusiastic? I think that is critical, whichever route you take.

I'm evasive, in general. I know many of my buds are sure something is up. I've been confronted.

My favorite response to date has been:

"Well, if I had an HT, you'd be able to tell, wouldn't you?"

That's a response I've used to a direct question about having an HT. But you could also say:

"Well, if something with me has changed, you'd be able to tell, wouldn't you?"

You've all of a sudden put the ball completely in their court. Check out their eyes when you use that one. See if they don't look away, look a little surprised or taken back a bit, or maybe a smile appears. In any case, you've broken the ice.

And you've been 100% evasive in doing so.

That's a lot more interesting and funny than being honest or blatantly lying.

Take whatever route you want. In the end, I think being evasive or trying to be funny about the OBVIOUS changes with me works well.

In the end, it doesn't matter the means, just the ends. And if the ends is that you are a happier, more confident human being, well, tell me who DOESN'T benefit from that?

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.

well i haven't told anyone but my wife, who has been very supportive all the way. i trust her not to mention it, even if we have a blow-up. I have no idea how anyone can keep it from the wife.

today i was so excited because i got my toppik in the mail. never knew about it til i saw postings about it on this site. had to try this "miricle" cover-up. so got it today and put it on my head as soon as i got to work. pretty cool effect. masks the shine thru the thin hair pretty well. no one at work noticed.

got home a bit ago and the first thing my wife said was - "let me see your head". first awkward HT moment for me. i said "no, no" and "get away i'm self concious" to which she got pissed and said "and i have been supportive all this time, sheesh" or something like that. i said "well let me stare at your ass a bit - you are self consious about THAT". somehow she didn't smack me but she laughed. she said "i can see your hairs coming in". then i fessed up. damn! this is somehow more embarrassing than HT.

Actually I got the toppik for use only for pictures.....I think i should start to reveal less baldness now so it doesn't shock people when i become fozzy bear.....

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/websites/jcwhair/

JCW

I had a HT of 1600 FU's with Shapiro last December on a Thursday and went to my company Christmas party on Saturday night. Nobody noticed a thing. I know this because I would be the butt of jokes if anyone found out. I do have quite a bit of hair that concealed the work, though. In fact, the slight swelling of my forehead made my skin smoother, and a couple people commented on how good I looked.

• 4 months later...

shadows,

You can wear a loose fitting hat from the day of surgery forward. Given the way your head looks after surgery, you definitely want to cover it up... or at least I did both times.

Mr. T

Yes, you could wear a hat beginning the next day, but you'll have to be careful for a few days not to disrupt the grafts while putting on or taking off the hat. Also, if the back of the hat rests on your donor region, it can hurt for a few days. Overall, I found that it was best to hibernate from the public for about five days after my surgery, and then I started to go out while wearing a hat.

Also, a very helpful piece of advice that you don't usually receive is to plan to wear button-down shirts for at least five days after surgery. The grafts are very delicate these first few days, and even your shirt slightly rubbing against the recipient area could disrupt the grafts or cause some bleeding. I lost a graft on the day following my surgery in this manner.

• 4 months later...

Here is me again, almost 10 months after the HT.....here's an update:

The HT really worked out quite good for me. I never intended to have my hairline changed, or excessive amount of new hair. So, prior to HT I started to loose some, and my timing was such that the new grown ones took over for the slowly shedding ones. In my view, I had just enough to make my slightly balding parts to go back how it was before I started to loose. In short, I am very delighted with the result.

As for the success of conceiling, well, my wife and my family didn't realise anything. There are only two people who came up and asked me if I had a HT. Both of them have almost bald head, and they seem to pay special attention to people's hair around them. One of them said, "all of a sudden you have a rush of more hair, how did it happen?" Luckily, I remembered the images of the Rogaine box where it is saying that Rogaine may help hair regrowth at the vertex area with images. So, I showed him the box and told him about Propecia as an additional help. He seems to have bought the story, but I never thought that people like this person would realise it. So, for the moment, I could explain it logically.

Shadows -

You can wear a hat right after the surgery. It must be placed carefully, starting with putting the hat on in the front first, a little ways down your forehead, then laying the back of the hat appropriately. Dr. Charles spent a little time with me on the proper technique. Personally, for the first 10 days or so, I wouldn't do it expect while transporting yourself to and fro to, like you said, keeping it exposed to air as much as possible. But I did wear mine when going shopping, running errands, visiting, etc with no problems.

• 5 years later...
Originally posted by Mortimer:

I decided to conceal it from my wife because she is a type of person who can not manage her temper such that she could easily tell this to anyone in a moment of anger. Besides, you know how women are. You think you've closed a subject, understood by the both parties, but they keep reheating and reheating it all the time. I know, for sure, that she might have been very resonable if Ihad told her, but I know that she could use this as a serious weapon against me, like "how I spent that money on my selfish needs and so on" anytime. It is like a golden weapon I'd give her in a very critical moment of conflict.

OMG! This is perhaps the funniest post I've ever read on the internet LOL