How many graphs required to fill in crown ?

Hi guys,

So I underwent a first FUT procedure 7 months ago. The surgeon filled in the frontal part of my scalp.

He does not seem to think filling in the crown is a great idea as he says my donor area is a little below average.

Based on this picture , should I just leave the crown and try to control it with meds ? I have been using rogaine and fin for the last 6 months. If not , how many graphs would be required to fill the crown in ?

Thanks for the feedback.

IMG_2302.JPG.1999f442996451ee73cc84b6b118422d.JPG

It was 1400 grafts in the front .

I will provide the name of the surgeon a little later after my full result.

I have relied on rogaine and fin on the crown and it is helping . Not sure if I want

to do opt for another surgery .

If I do I will visit a few surgeons and get some feedback .

I'm guessing from 1500-2000 would do it?

yes i was thinking in that range

2000 would make a pretty major impact

but realize the crown balding spot may increase as time goes by

I guess you are like 40?

so save some grafts in case that happens when you are 50

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

I have been on fin and min for almost 3 years. I have seen some regrowth in my crown. It's a good sign that you're seeing a difference after 6 months. I'd stay on meds for another year and a half or so and take it from there. It's very possible you could experience more improvements.

I have been on fin and min for almost 3 years. I have seen some regrowth in my crown. It's a good sign that you're seeing a difference after 6 months. I'd stay on meds for another year and a half or so and take it from there. It's very possible you could experience more improvements.

How long did it take until you started seeing growth in the crown ?

Take a look at my posting history. The crown is the black hole of the head. I have had over 5000 grafts and it is still see through in some areas. 1500-2000 would not make it dense but could be a small cosmetic improvement. Might take 4000 to match the front

If that is only 1400 in the front, they did an amazing job. Go ahead it tell us who it is because the results are in.

Hi guys,

So I underwent a first FUT procedure 7 months ago. The surgeon filled in the frontal part of my scalp.

He does not seem to think filling in the crown is a great idea as he says my donor area is a little below average.

Based on this picture , should I just leave the crown and try to control it with meds ? I have been using rogaine and fin for the last 6 months. If not , how many graphs would be required to fill the crown in ?

Thanks for the feedback.

Definitely see where you progress with medical therapy, but you could see an improvement with the addition of a consistent hair density and low number grafts over more than one surgery. Based on the photos, you could also save resources by utilizing a concealer. Additionally, you might benefit from other alternative hair loss treatments (e.g. Platelet-rich Plasma).

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

yes i was thinking in that range

2000 would make a pretty major impact

but realize the crown balding spot may increase as time goes by

I guess you are like 40?

so save some grafts in case that happens when you are 50

When I look at the pictures , maybe I am being paranoid but what if the meds stop working , or what if they had not worked at all and I choose to not perform another surgery? Would my head look very disproportional ? ( quite thick towards the front and shiny on the crown ? Or do many men have a head that looks that way ? I am new to this maybe I am overthinking it. Doc told me my result would be natural so Im pretty sure it will look ok.

I have mixed feelings about FIN, not sure if I want to stay on it long term. I am sort off testing it out, I have noticed a few side effects.

Thanks guys.

Don't waste precious grafts in the crown! Make a slight difference and save the rest for hairline, midscalp and temple points.

Honestly the older you get the less important the crown becomes....IMO...

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

The crown can and most probably will open up with more loss as time passes. Once you start filling it in with grafts, and then continue to progress with further loss, you can be left with an island of hair and a bald ring around it.

Always a good idea to get the frontal zone restored the way you want it before committing those limited grafts to the crown, and especially if your donor density is average to the lower end of the scale.

A single low density pass in the crown would distract away from a slick bald surface if you can live with that.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for the feedback guys......As you read this I have taken a decision to officially quit Fin.

I have been on it for 5 months, side effects come and go but recently have been just awful. Im dont want to live like this. These reason I went for a surgery in the first place was so I would not have to take fin. My Dr convinced me to give it a try and see , which I did , and I have had enough.

I assume and hope most of the gain in the crown was from Rogaine and Niz which I have been using vigorously and will be continuing with.

If I go back to a real empty crown then I may consider some surgery down the road, who knows.

The real challenge is that there are no hard and fast answers to this dilemma of MPB. And the decisions can be just as challenging.

I wish you the best in your journey and much success no matter which path you take pucheject.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY