How many grafts per cm is considered safe from shock loss?

HT is not an exact science so some patients situation are higher risk than others to shock loss than others where transplanting into existing native hair.

1. Is hair miniaturising?

2. Is patient taking medication such as finasteride to help prevent further loss and strength hair - or not?

3. Has patient already had HT in the area?

Yes I see. Yes it is not an exact science. But what in your opinion do you feel can minimize risk?

Trying to remember where I read it, but good doctors nowadays are placing no more than 40 grafts per cm. Just to prevent shock loss from their patients. It is more about safety - not to mention to protect their practice.

Now 40 grafts sounds just about right if you ask me. It is neither too much nor too little. On another forum I read about complaints of patients whose hair did not grow a year after a transplant. These patients received 50, 60, and 70 grafts per cm. Way too much if you ask.

Yes I see. Yes it is not an exact science. But what in your opinion do you feel can minimize risk?

Trying to remember where I read it, but good doctors nowadays are placing no more than 40 grafts per cm. Just to prevent shock loss from their patients. It is more about safety - not to mention to protect their practice.

Now 40 grafts sounds just about right if you ask me. It is neither too much nor too little. On another forum I read about complaints of patients whose hair did not grow a year after a transplant. These patients received 50, 60, and 70 grafts per cm. Way too much if you ask.

Thanks for suggesting that Rahal is your favorite surgeon Milo12...

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

The plain truth about shock loss risk really comes down to several things. First, how diffused is the surrounding native hair within the target recipient area? How much of that hair exists at the time of the procedure? And also, what measures can be taken to reduce the overall level of trauma to the area?

And it's the latter that I think Milo is addressing because the fewer amount of recipient incisions made per cm2, the less corresponding trauma. The variable is how each individual responds to the trauma, some more acute than others.

And yes, the corresponding yield can certainly drop when the grafted density goes up especially beyond 50 FU per cm2.

Those have been my observations over the years...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

And yes, the corresponding yield can certainly drop when the grafted density goes up especially beyond 50 FU per cm2.

.;)

Hello again gillenator,

Shock is a very powerful issue. I have researched a doctor while in the Ukraine. He actually packs about 80 grafts. I could not believe it at first. But that alone is "shocking" - no pun intended. However when I looked at this gallery I noticed just a very few patients with dense hair. The grand majority had sparse hair.

This ought to tell you that no more than 40 grafts per cm should be a safe bet.