Dermmatch or Couvre for buzzed head?

• Administrators

Hey guys,

So the time is coming close for me to return to work, I made a HUGE mistake not shaving my head prior to surgery, now I have ridiculous bald patches that are impossible to conceal. Have any of you used Couvre or Dermmatch on really short hair like guard #1, if so which is better? My goal is not to give myself a "full" head of hair but more to blend everything together, leave some sections lighter than others so that I still look somewhat balding, otherwise it would be too obvious. Is this even possible? or do concealers work to good, I never use concealers so I'm uneducated on the topic.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I recommend Couvre as its easier to maneuver and manipulate due to the "cream/lotion" consistency. I did it on a 1 guard and it worked. Damp the sponge a little with water and then add some Couvre to it and blend it lightly around your areas and into your existing hair. Good luck!

1st Procedure, Oct. 2012 - 1,704 grafts FUT w/Dr. True

2nd Procedure, Sept. 2015 - 2500 grafts FUE w/Dr. Vories

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

• Administrators
I recommend Couvre as its easier to maneuver and manipulate due to the "cream/lotion" consistency. I did it on a 1 guard and it worked. Damp the sponge a little with water and then add some Couvre to it and blend it lightly around your areas and into your existing hair. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply dude, do you happen to have any pics of what your hair looked like when you had it guard 1 with couvre?

Currently this is my dilemma, my friends are telling me I should go to a barber to have them clean it up and then comb it over and apply concealer. Do you think it would be easier to conceal with a buzzed head or how it is now?

Natural state

LVVq5Ol.jpg

This is when I try to comb it over

DVSYGhM.jpg

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

• Administrators
I dont have any experience with either dermatch or couvre.

Is it not possible to wear a cap to work. I wore one for a couple months after my op.

It's not possible, I work in an office I have to dress in slacks and button ups my boss is strict on the dress code. I only work in the office twice a week though so I work from home 3 times out of the week, that's at leas a silver lining.

I don't know if I should buzz it or comb it over with concealer. I guess combing it over would be the least drastic change, my friends are telling me not to buzz it. Hoping some concealer gurus could chime in and let me know which would be the easiest to conceal.

View my thread

Comb over with a powder concealer such as Caboki/Toppik would be the easiest in my opinion. There is a learning curve when starting to use concealer since you initially apply more than needed, so less is always better. If you can somehow pull off a comb-over, over the transplant area and then use Caboki, that may be your best bet.

I attached the only pics I could find. This is my using couvre. This is longer than a 1 guard, more like a 2/3. Without concealer my hair looked very thin and sparse.

20151006_093429.thumb.jpg.ea6e6a6f95b6981e5e16c4b610afc037.jpg

20151006_100032.jpg.624220d742407559826d6600b504f93b.jpg

FUE Progress - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/180966-my-experience-w-dr-vories-2-500-grafts.html

FUE 1 year result - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/184716-1-year-results-2-500-grafts-w-dr-vories.html

• Administrators
Comb over with a powder concealer such as Caboki/Toppik would be the easiest in my opinion. There is a learning curve when starting to use concealer since you initially apply more than needed, so less is always better. If you can somehow pull off a comb-over, over the transplant area and then use Caboki, that may be your best bet.

I attached the only pics I could find. This is my using couvre. This is longer than a 1 guard, more like a 2/3. Without concealer my hair looked very thin and sparse.

Thanks for the photos, it looks good, so you think combing it over and applying caboki would be easier? I have toppik but I got it black and its waaayy to dark, I was thinking of buying this stuff called Mane, have you heard of it any good?

https://www.amazon.com/Mane-America-Thickener-Spray-Combo/dp/B00HDYZHYA/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1477335652&sr=1-4&keywords=mane%2Bhair%2Bthickening%2Bspray%2Bdark%2Bbrown&th=1

View my thread

I've used both, but only in the island area with forelock hair brushed back over it. Very effective that way, but no experience with real short hair. I agree with hairlosscpa about the consistency of Couvre being a bit easier to work with.

I'm really just chiming in to mention that Couvre has a very strong scent...at least to me. It has been years since I bought any though, so maybe that's no longer the case.

Also, an old soft bristle toothbrush can be a good applicator for either one.

Spray thickeners in my opinion look very paint like and unnatural on existing hair (dull, chalky coverage). Haven't tried that specific one but I use to use "Fullmore" by Toppik which was similar. I still think a comb over and powder concealer is your best bet. You cn even use a combination of both, a little couvre on completely bald areas, do the combover and apply Caboki/Toppik. If black was "too" dark, dark brown might be similar. However, based on the pictures your posted, dark brown might be okay for you though.

Edited by hairlosscpa

• Administrators
Spray thickeners in my opinion looking very paint like and unnatural on existing hair (dull, chalky coverage). Haven't tried that specific one but I use to use "Fullmore" by Toppik which was similar. I still think a comb over and powder concealer is your best bet. You cn even use a combination of both, a little couvre on completely bald areas, do the combover and apply Caboki/Toppik. If black was "too" dark, dark brown might be similar. However, based on the pictures your posted, dark brown might be okay for you though.

Thanks man you're really helping me out, I know very little when it comes to concealers, one more question, can I use wax or pomades with the caboki? If so would I use it first then put the caboki and then hair spray? Or should I leave it dry and just use hair spray?

I gotta buy this stuff now any local stores sell this stuff? I think I'll try the dark brown and medium brown both.

View my thread

No problem man. The steps you described would work best. But when you put the concealer on sort of re-do your hairstyle with the caboki in it to evenly distribute it and remove excess dust, then put hairspray. It'll look the most natural. I don't know of any local stores that sell this stuff but you might be able to do 1-day shipping through Amazon depending on where you are. Good luck bro.

I have recently found some products called Mr Jamie Stevens. I had my hair cut shorter than i liked and had a family event. I bought the shampoo and conditioner. which has really made my hair feel soft, especially the transplanted hair at the front. I then bought the disguise spray to give the front an extra boots- i only use the smallest amount, maybe one spray each side of my hairline. i then use the hair paste which is really good and finish with the seal spray. All great products. To me a great find.

• Administrators
No problem man. The steps you described would work best. But when you put the concealer on sort of re-do your hairstyle with the caboki in it to evenly distribute it and remove excess dust, then put hairspray. It'll look the most natural. I don't know of any local stores that sell this stuff but you might be able to do 1-day shipping through Amazon depending on where you are. Good luck bro.

Thanks again man, I'm glad I made this thread before deciding to buzz my head.

View my thread

Not sure if this will help but these are some pics when I used Dermmatch and Couvre. Overall I personally didn't think they looked very natural on little hair but a bit better when there's more hair to blend in with.

7 months post-op. 1st pic without products and other 2 with Dermmatch

5b32ef8c01240_17-7m3.thumb.jpg.d3db83b10a6260079fa6199ba2f1289c.jpg

5b32ef8c3cb6a_DermmatchFeb4.thumb.jpeg.f8681ad36cc28bbeb84db098e76d0845.jpeg

5b32ef8c60780_DermmatchFeb5.thumb.jpeg.cf53b08d7b1b80b53450c6fc9763cd8b.jpeg

9 months post-op.

First pic without concealers.

2nd Pic with Dermmatch

3rd with Couvre

5b32ef8c7e8d0_74-Post-opMonth9.thumb.jpg.9c59857ce3633a983de287e441dc205a.jpg

5b32ef8c96007_DermmatchApril2.thumb.jpg.cb90650082a897c407b8f0ea83b56ccb.jpg

5b32ef8cac56c_CouvreApril2.thumb.jpg.53237127a2ba9d0e46d81459955e3bab.jpg

I would personally try using dermmatch and then fibres on top of this. This is my daily regime for my crown area. I have little hair there and it creates a brilliant illusion for me. I use the lock in spray as apposed to hair spray but they are essentially the same thing. I think if you pay around with your hair style you could cover the bits you need too.

First Transplant: 5000 FUE grafts with Dr Koray Erdogan ASMED, December 2016

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Pumpkin Seed Oil 1000mg daily

1% Nizoral shampoo weekly

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

• Administrators
9 months post-op.

First pic without concealers.

2nd Pic with Dermmatch

3rd with Couvre

Thanks alot for the photos, based on the photos I think Couvre looks better, i'm buying Caboki and Couvre today, hopefully it comes by this weekend I will be testing it out and updating this thread with photos, so the concealer gurus could give me some tips hopefully. I return to work on Wednesday :eek:

View my thread

• Administrators

Alright guys, I just picked up Toppik dark brown from the local beauty store, I just put it on with some wax and hair spray, what do you guys think is it noticeable? I also cut my hair to clean things up a bit cause it looked ridiculous before, any tips from the concealer gurus? I just ordered couvre it should come by the weekend, my only concern currently is how im going to blend it to the crown do I use Couvre or Toppik?

7I5fZn1.jpg

1B79mAs.jpg

8xOfU4Y.jpg

aQEoImu.jpg

QSHdxcC.jpg

View my thread

Looks good man. Is there any way you can brush your hair back to cover some of the crown instead of brushing your hair to the side? That way there is some hair around the crown for the toppik to cling on to. You can also apply a light layer of couvre to the crown, brush your hair back and then add some toppik to that area for max coverage.

• Administrators
Looks good man. Is there any way you can brush your hair back to cover some of the crown instead of brushing your hair to the side? That way there is some hair around the crown for the toppik to cling on to. You can also apply a light layer of couvre to the crown, brush your hair back and then add some toppik to that area for max coverage.

My hairs not long enough it's barely long enough to comb over :( I tried the slicked back look and it stops pretty much at the crown, I was hoping maybe couvre would make it blend more with the hair on the sides so it would look like I buzzed all the way up to the crown. What do you think possible? Worst comes to worst I'll just have to go like this, and in a few weeks I'll cut it shorter to make everything even.

View my thread

Have you put toppik on the crown area as I would have expected it to fill in more than this??

First Hair Transplant link: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185564-5000-grafts-fue-13th-14th-december-asmed-dr-erdogan.html

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Lasercomb x 3 weekly

• Administrators
Have you put toppik on the crown area as I would have expected it to fill in more than this??

I didn't put toppik in the crown area because I thought toppik only works with hair not buzzed hair, I was waiting to put couvre on the crown. I want to avoid an obvious concealer cover up, I would rather it stay bald then look like im concealing it if that makes sense.

View my thread

Try and put toppik on it just to see what you think it looks like. Toppik also works with short hair by concealing the scalp. I think you could be surprised at how it looks. I've seen some guys get amazing results with toppik / nanogen who have very little hair.

I tried couvre but I personally didn't like the consistency and it was visibly different to the rest of my hair.

Hair loss regime

Propecia 1mg daily

Saw Palmetto 450mg daily

Biotin 1000ug daily

MSM 1500mg daily

Lasercomb x 3 weekly