Worried about Post-Op look

Dear all;

Been suffering with hair loss for around 8 years now. I've decided I finally want to do something about it.

Have finally decided I will go ahead and get a hair transplant next year with Hasson & Wong (I did my research for some time and they seemed like the best bet for FUT).

However I have one issue.

I can only take one week in total off work; this is also not going to change for the next couple years (yeah I know it sucks majorly)

I would therefore have the surgery on the Monday; but then I would have to return to work the following Monday.

I am not allowed to wear hats in my line of work; also my work would not be cool/understanding with me demanding to wear a hat or something for the first couple days back.

I also don't have long hair or anything like that so couldn't cover it up with my haircut.

Any suggestions? Thank you :)

Front.jpg.68bf0faca4467d6c4175d9ae842c607b.jpg

5b32ef6b24db0_fronttop.jpg.cbebae8b424dd14c36181969d4af2d88.jpg

5b32ef6b4bd41_fromabove.jpg.d37ac7a8c9dbf1d8ad6c29ed2f9b6f59.jpg

profile.jpg.3463414c5d9988b92e18a735dd91cf3f.jpg

back.thumb.JPG.d3a39e5cbf716508249e8ae2492d98d3.JPG

Besides cutting off your head & sticking it in ruck sack, you have no other choice it seems than to suck it up. 1wk off from work IMO to conceal a HT surgery is never going to work for your situation especially with what NW you are at right now.

Can you not pull your boss to one side & say privately what your plans are, maybe he or she can come up with something like take a extra wk off without pay or something.

To echo the guys above me, you will look like hell for a while.

There is absolutely no way you will be able to conceal what you have had done. At one week post op you will be sore, pink, and still have the vast majority of the scabs on your head. You may also have lingerings of a black eye, or fluid still moving down your face. I am not trying to scare you, just let you know how it was for me. I would urge having a word with your boss to see what they say and explain the situation. The best thing I can think of (which ontop mentioned) would be unpaid leave for AT LEAST another week.

I was honest with my bosses and told them what I was doing, It was extremely embarrassing at the time, but they understood.

That being said, the short term embarrassment will be heavily outweighed by the long term gain - trust me.

Thanks for your replies!

This is basically the decider right now for me;

The week I am due to start is an induction for a new job; so that's why it's impossible for me to get it off (even unpaid or even to move it). It will also be the time I am meeting a lot of new colleagues; therefore I'd prefer them not to see me with the HT

However; there will be no time in the next years where I will be able to get 2 weeks+ off so that's why this one week period is the only time I can really get off.

Due to the working environment it's impossible to wear a hat.

I guess I'll have to have a big think about whether I can go through with it now. If 2 weeks is do-able then I'll consider just facing the embarrassment of it all.

Thanks Spex.

I'm thinking it may be better just to start shaving my head from now on; as you are all right, i will have to shave most of my head for the procedure. The plan is 4500-5000 grafts working from the hairline to the crown (with the majority focused on building the density in the hairline.

I must agree with Spex as due to the area you require work carried out in it will be difficult to disguise for a minimum of 3-4 weeks.

Dr Scott Alexander

I would echo what the others say and having been through it myself. One week is not enough your scalp will still have all the scabs and be red. Am I right in thinking you would do this one week before starting a new job and an induction week. That sounds very stressful to me.

Senior Patient Advisor for Dr Edward Ball of The Maitland Clinic.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of The Maitland Clinic.

Formerly Garageland of Hasson & Wong with 20 years of history in Hair Restoration.

Meet with myself for a free consultation and advice in London on June 21st 2018.

I would echo what the others say and having been through it myself. One week is not enough your scalp will still have all the scabs and be red. Am I right in thinking you would do this one week before starting a new job and an induction week. That sounds very stressful to me.

Thanks David;

I actually met you before you moved on from H&W.

Yes; I know it will be a stressful time but it is literally the only time I can ever get the procedure done for at least several years.

As mentioned I believe I will just go ahead and then deal with the embarrassment at work.

Going to try shaving my head first to see what it looks like; then go from there.

Edited by GuyFromTheUK

I say that if you are comfortable shaving your head, then just do that and skip the procedure. If, in a few years, you can get 3 or so weeks on and you hate your shaved head look. Go for a conservative FUE to build a hairline and frontal 3rd and go from there. There is no hurry.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear all;

Been suffering with hair loss for around 8 years now. I've decided I finally want to do something about it.

Have finally decided I will go ahead and get a hair transplant next year with Hasson & Wong (I did my research for some time and they seemed like the best bet for FUT).

However I have one issue.

I can only take one week in total off work; this is also not going to change for the next couple years (yeah I know it sucks majorly)

I would therefore have the surgery on the Monday; but then I would have to return to work the following Monday.

I am not allowed to wear hats in my line of work; also my work would not be cool/understanding with me demanding to wear a hat or something for the first couple days back.

I also don't have long hair or anything like that so couldn't cover it up with my haircut.

Any suggestions? Thank you :)

I think you should be more concerned about swelling than the look of your scalp

I say that if you are comfortable shaving your head, then just do that and skip the procedure. If, in a few years, you can get 3 or so weeks on and you hate your shaved head look. Go for a conservative FUE to build a hairline and frontal 3rd and go from there. There is no hurry.

So; I have shaved my head already; and I don't like the look; so I'm definitely going ahead w/ the transplant; I look better than I thought I would but it still doesn't suit me; I have generally quite a baby looking face so look a bit like a big baby with a shaved head haha.

At least I tried it I guess