What causes a visible strip scar?

So I am scheduled for an FUT procedure with a highly reputable, recommended surgeon and I am experiencing the (probably typical) nervousness and cold feet. I go back and forth between being comfortable and at-peace with my decision, to wanting to back out. What's worried me specifically is that over the past month I have seen three people, two out and about on the streets and one at work, who had obvious, awful strip scars across their head. These were so bad that I would characterize these people as essentially permanently disfigured.

This of course gave me pause-- is this something that could happen to me?

One thing I did notice about all 3 of these guys was that they all seemed to be "diffuse" balders. Their donor area seemed to be really thin, making the scar impossible to hide. I guess these people had their procedures at a younger age before diffuse thinning set in as they got older. I cannot see an ethical doctor making a linear incision on these patients if their donor area was this thin at the time of their procedure.

I can think of 3 factors that might dictate whether a scar is visible post-ht. 1) Skill of the surgeon; 2) Density of donor; 3) Patient's own scarring tendency.

If someone can answer the above 3 issues positively, does this make them a good bet to have a good scar? Are there any other factors I'm leaving out?

If you have 3 of the 3 factors, I really can't see why you wouldn't end up with a fine line. When looking for the strip scars during post op follow ups, it's getting harder and harder to find them.

Factors:

1) Density of hair surrounding strip

2) Length of hair surrounding strip

3) Width of strip

4) Length of strip

If you can see the skin, you can see the scar, that's the rule. If you leave your hair long enough so no skin is visible, then the scar won't be either.

These are really helpful responses. Especially the "if you can see the scalp, you'll see the scar" rule of thumb.

I happen to have less density on the lower sides of my hair than I do on the upper sides and back. So I may have a discussion with my surgeon about tracking the scar along the denser parts of my head as long as it remains in the "safe area."

Who is doing the cutting and sewing is probably the MOST important factor.

Previous history or family history of poor scarring...thus patient physiology, is a close 2nd.

Scar treatment after sutures removed MAY help and that's why I push our patients to do it.

And probably some as yet undetermined genetic/physiologic issues which for now I call luck or lack thereof.

Best bet...see if your doctor posts alot of his scars at a year...then you'll know more.

Dr. Lindsey

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians