Hair transplants and psoriasis

Hi guys, ive posted a number of times over the past few years about my frontal hair loss. I'm almost 33 now and feel that I'm at the point where I'd really like to get an FUE transplant in the corners.

Unfortunately, I Also suffer with the affliction of psoriasis which I have had since I was 19. If you don't know what it is it's a genetic skin disorder for which there is no known cure.

I have a minor case, but in the past year it's spread onto a very awkward area...my hairline. I didn't think it would be an issue in regards to getting a transplant, but the surgeon I recently contacted told me that it contradicts the surgery and I may not be suitable which is very disappointing..

Has anyone here had a transplant when they have psoriasis on the scalp/hairline? Any advice/info would be a great help.

Cheers

image.thumb.jpg.25b9f908affbf17aa40a2ee00e7163d8.jpg

I had a bunch of eczema spots on my scalp, but Dr. Hasson reassured me he could either work around those spots, or just drill right through them.

I think his final MO was drill right through them. I wouldnt worry about it if I were you

I have psoriasis had a biopsy . I have never had it on my head only my legs and elbows. I would go to a dermatologist before you go to a hair transplant doctor to get an honest result. Do your best to clear it up before considering a transplant.

I have chronic scalp eczema/seborrheic dermatitis which has turned to harder psoriasis-type hard scales as I've gotten older now.

It is a real annoyance but it has never affected me having a hair transplant, and despite the scaling my hair grows thick in the areas where I've had transplanted hair.

What you have to do is use some topical treatment prescribed by a dermatologist to get it under control before the surgery and also use a shower/scale removal routine that works for you to get your scalp ready before the procedure.

You then have to go through the first 10 days after the surgery without touching the recipient area and without using any topicals etc. After that you should be home free.

If the word "psoriasis" itself is scaring off the doctors, just tell them you have "chronic dandruff/scalp dryness" which you're trying to control.

Oh, and don't overuse harsh shampoos (Nizoral) or chemicals after the procedure until your hair has grown in after a year or so.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

• 1 year later...

Hey Ricky! It looks like it's been just about a year since you posted this and I'm curious if you were able to move forward with a hair transplant and find a solution.

I also want to direct you to a brand new study Dr. Mohebi has conducted regarding psoriasis and hair transplants. More research needs to be done, but it appears as though hair transplants may actually help patients who suffer from psoriasis.

Check out the study here if you're interested in reading up on this... And even more importantly, if you did indeed have a hair transplant over the past year, I would love to know if you saw an improvement/healing of your psoriasis in the transplanted areas.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I have a delicate balance in my shampoo regimen to try and keep scaling at bay, it's tricky to find the right routine, I recommend experimenting with Nizoral a time or two a week and pulling back or adding more washes depending upon how your scalp responds.

Hair loss patient and transplant veteran. Once a Norwood 3A.

Received 2,700 grafts with coalition doctor on 8/13/2010

Received 2,380 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 9/30/2011

Received 1,820 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on 7/28/2016

Hey Ricky! It looks like it's been just about a year since you posted this and I'm curious if you were able to move forward with a hair transplant and find a solution.

I also want to direct you to a brand new study Dr. Mohebi has conducted regarding psoriasis and hair transplants. More research needs to be done, but it appears as though hair transplants may actually help patients who suffer from psoriasis.

Check out the study here if you're interested in reading up on this... And even more importantly, if you did indeed have a hair transplant over the past year, I would love to know if you saw an improvement/healing of your psoriasis in the transplanted areas.

Thanks for posting a link to the study.. very interesting and surprising to read. I have not had a transplant as yet.. I'm probably going to wait until 35... Funnily enough, although I still have some small areas of dryness on my scalp, the psoriasis plaques around my hairline cleared up completely without any treatment around 6 months ago and haven't returned which is great! I do still have it on some other body areas though, albeit quite mild.