Should I get surgery now or wait?

Hey guys! I'm looking to get an FUT procedure at H&W, but i'm not sure if I should wait. I'm 26 (27 in December) and really self conscious about my receding hairline and thinning hair. I wanna get a surgery soon so I can enjoy the rest of my youth with decent hair. I had an online consultaion with H&W and they said I was a good candidate for hairloss surgery and would need 3000-4000 grafts. I haven't used finasteride, but am getting a prescription soon. My concern is that if I get the surgery now and the medication doesn't work then it won't look very good in the near future and I will need another procedure. I am not against another procedure, but I don't wanna have to get another within 5 years of the first one. Here are some pictures that I sent to H&W.

20160817_194023.thumb.jpg.71645224352f47a4a0438d4005acae19.jpg

20160817_194254.thumb.jpg.4699f7a97f7321161df4f49a7887dda2.jpg

Hey guys! I'm looking to get an FUT procedure at H&W, but i'm not sure if I should wait. I'm 26 (27 in December) and really self conscious about my receding hairline and thinning hair. I wanna get a surgery soon so I can enjoy the rest of my youth with decent hair. I had an online consultaion with H&W and they said I was a good candidate for hairloss surgery and would need 3000-4000 grafts. I haven't used finasteride, but am getting a prescription soon. My concern is that if I get the surgery now and the medication doesn't work then it won't look very good in the near future and I will need another procedure. I am not against another procedure, but I don't wanna have to get another within 5 years of the first one. Here are some pictures that I sent to H&W.

I'm 27 and had one a few months back. Like you, I was on fin or minox prior to the procedure. I got just over 2000 grafts transplanted and at 5 months I'm happy with the result. I imagine if I didn't take have the procedure and didn't begin taking the meds that the hair loss would continue to get worse over time, but akin to you I wanted to enjoy the rest of my twenties and early thirties with some good hair. In all likelihood I'll need another procedure down the road, and I'm prepared for that whether it's in five or fifteen years. My suggestion to you would be to move forward with it if it's what you want and is going to make you happy. A good doctor won't overpack the hair if you'll need more transplants down the road.

I would try meds for a year see how you respond. This will make all the difference. You need to see how you respond or if you get side effects. I got sides in the beginning but cut the dose and don't have any now. In my honest opinion more people get sides from the meds than are reported so it's like flipping a coin. You seem to have a diffuse loss pattern headed towards a class 5 or 6. Meds can make a huge difference if you are a good responder.

Man oh man, you should get on finasteride ASAP. I suggest this from personal experience.

3185 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 2/17/16

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/182611-fut-3185-dr-rahal-day-after-pics.html

1204 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 3/27/17

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/186586-round-2-rahal-1204-fut-frontal-third-same-area.html

---> total of 4389 grafts to my frontal third via FUT

---> 1mg finasteride daily since 1999:)

Early age hairloss that start in teens or early 20ies must be taken seriously as a possible sumptom of an endocrine or metabolic disorder, ask your doctor to check your thyroid and metabolism, your hair may grow back on its own if theres an underlying dosorder causing early hairloss. Always first treat the cause, not the symptoms.

Thyroid disorder symptoms are not always obvious, people are born with them so they easily accept the symptoms to be within the normal, that everyone has it. But inherited hairloss in early 20ies is not normal, and if hearing that makes you angry at the messenger (me) we just uncovered another typical thyroid symptom: agitation. I know you will not admit it but please consider the possibility before you jump into HT.

I feel your almost certainly going to loose more hair, you need to take fin for a year or so see how your hairloss is then, jumping straight into a transplant without any kind of maintenance of existing hair is going to be a dissapointment as your lost will continue, this will result in further procedures at an early age

Early age hairloss that start in teens or early 20ies must be taken seriously as a possible sumptom of an endocrine or metabolic disorder, ask your doctor to check your thyroid and metabolism, your hair may grow back on its own if theres an underlying dosorder causing early hairloss. Always first treat the cause, not the symptoms.

Thyroid disorder symptoms are not always obvious, people are born with them so they easily accept the symptoms to be within the normal, that everyone has it. But inherited hairloss in early 20ies is not normal, and if hearing that makes you angry at the messenger (me) we just uncovered another typical thyroid symptom: agitation. I know you will not admit it but please consider the possibility before you jump into HT.

I have to disagree with you MPB can certainly start in your late teens early 20s

I have to disagree with you MPB can certainly start in your late teens early 20s

Its not normal and lots of young men has regrown hair when treated for hyperthyroidism. Always have endocrine and metabolic functions checked when hairloss occurs early, untreated it causes heart damage over some time. You dont have to believe but at least dont deny the possibilty, discouraging people from seeking medical reasons is not helping anyone, i urge EVERYONE who loses hair early to get tested. Its too simple and cheap to ignore and risk cardiac and nevrological damage.

Its not normal and lots of young men has regrown hair when treated for hyperthyroidism. Always have endocrine and metabolic functions checked when hairloss occurs early, untreated it causes heart damage over some time. You dont have to believe but at least dont deny the possibilty, discouraging people from seeking medical reasons is not helping anyone, i urge EVERYONE who loses hair early to get tested. Its too simple and cheap to ignore and risk cardiac and nevrological damage.

You stated inherited hairloss in early 20s is not normal I'm simply telling you it is normal it's very common and the top surgeons in the world would agree

You stated inherited hairloss in early 20s is not normal I'm simply telling you it is normal it's very common and the top surgeons in the world would agree

Its not normal enough to ignore, see a doctor, and you should too. I know you are saying this just to protect yourself, you are thinking "im a healthy person and i still lost my hair early". Everyone think they are healthy so your reaction is natural but not necessarily accurate. Im not saying anyone here is sick but i am saying one should have it checked, if everyone could diagnose themselves accurately we wouldnt need doctors or laboratories.

Why you talk about surgeons? Endocrine reasons for hairloss sorts under endocrinology, not surgery.

It doesnt help to change tires if the wheel alignment is wrong, dont take it personally when i say one must first rule out medical causes before starting to treat the symptoms.

Its not normal enough to ignore, see a doctor, and you should too. I know you are saying this just to protect yourself, you are thinking "im a healthy person and i still lost my hair early". Everyone think they are healthy so your reaction is natural but not necessarily accurate. Im not saying anyone here is sick but i am saying one should have it checked, if everyone could diagnose themselves accurately we wouldnt need doctors or laboratories.

Why you talk about surgeons? Endocrine reasons for hairloss sorts under endocrinology, not surgery.

It doesnt help to change tires if the wheel alignment is wrong, dont take it personally when i say one must first rule out medical causes before starting to treat the symptoms.

Very strange philosophy

If you are serious about it, I would really consider just finasteride for at least a year and see how you respond. If you are a good responder, you could go with a conservative transplant. H and W is generally very conservative with great results. However, if you are not a responder, you could be looking at being a very advanced norwood, and that may change your plan on placement or even desire for a transplant.

A year on fin is a small price to pay to make sure that you are making the right decision.

That is what I would do.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

I am in similar position as you. And i have already booked my op date next month. I personally want my hairline back and after the procedure will start taking fin. And then down the road 5-7 years get another HT for crown . I respect everyone else' opinion but i know how you feel , i turned 28 last month. Taking a chance with fin for another year which might not work will delay everything.