Shaving implanted hairs after 3 weeks?

Almost 3 weeks post op FUT and some of the newly implanted hairs have started shedding as expected, but there are still a few sticking around and it (unsurprisingly) looks a bit ridiculous.

Is there any harm at all in shaving them so it doesn't look so bizarre? Especially given that they'll probably fall out within the next month anyway.

My only concerns are:

- Shaving the new hairs will upset them in some way

- Shaving them will take them longer to fall out (and enter the resting phase)

I'm certainly not going to pluck them or anything like that.

Most surgeons seem to include hair cuts/shaving in their post op/information sheets or whatever that they give you.

If you didn't receive any info you should ask your surgeon.

Quickly glancing at mine, it says no hair cuts for 4 weeks.

My surgeon (Dr.Demirsoy) told me to avoid razors and trimmers for 3 months, only use scissors on the recipient area. I read to wait for a full year. It's a pity I'd rather have spent a few months clean shaven to stop freaking out and enjoy a homogenous growth when the time has come.

Almost 3 weeks post op FUT and some of the newly implanted hairs have started shedding as expected, but there are still a few sticking around and it (unsurprisingly) looks a bit ridiculous.

Is there any harm at all in shaving them so it doesn't look so bizarre? Especially given that they'll probably fall out within the next month anyway.

My only concerns are:

- Shaving the new hairs will upset them in some way

- Shaving them will take them longer to fall out (and enter the resting phase)

I'm certainly not going to pluck them or anything like that.

After 3 weeks the grafts are safely secured and there is very little risk to losing any. There is really no concern to getting a haircut at this point. I would advise not to shave the hair very close to the scalp as there may be a possibity that you could cut or injure the newly healed scalp. This could lead to infections. Also too closely cropped hair might predispose someone to getting ingrown hairs which could be tender and also might become inflamed.

The best bet would be too use some sort of guard on your trimmer and make everything even. This would not harm the grafts and give a nice and even look.

Possibly shaving may pull a few of the graft hair out before it's ready to shed on its own which would not be an advisable thing to do.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I buzzed mine with clippers for this very reason about 10 days or so after my procedure. I've had a few users who have told me that was stupid, but by 10 days, the grafts are completely secure. Also, it goes without saying that I was extremely careful and gentle and had zero issues resulting from it. I wouldn't take a straight razor to it, but I personally think lightly/gently going over the area with clippers is totally safe.

Of course, you should always check with your own surgeon about this. One of the reasons that this is always so controversial is that every doctor has different guidelines. I remember seeing one user post that his doctor told him to wait 6 months to take clippers to his hair. I understand wanting to be cautious, but that seems like overkill to me.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Are you buzzing with clippers? Shaving with an actual razor blade at three weeks post-op is not a good idea.

My opinions are my own. I am one representative of MyWHTC Clinic's European branch.

Consultation Dates & Cities for Dr. Patrick Mwamba

London, United Kingdom - Available (Sat.)

Zurich, Switzerland - Available (Saturday)

Bologna, Italy - Available (Saturday)

Brussles, Belgium - Available (Sun.-Sat.) *No Fee*

Dr. Patrick Mwamba is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians