Any Avodart Users in the 35-45 yr old range ?

hunter56

I have just made the transition to Avodart after about 12 yrs on Propecia. 39yrs old. I think Propecia was effective, but seemed to be waning over the past few years and especially the past few months. Decided to give Avodart 1yr to see if that makes a difference. I will document my results here as best I can. 1 month in I feel I am shedding (Seeing about 20-30 hairs each morning-outside of looking in the mirror, that's my best way to guage). But I was also shedding over the past few months on Propecia (hence the shift). Does seem to have kicked up a notch.

My plan is to try to give Avodart a full year barring any major sides or adverse reactions. Never had sides with Fin and feel it has been a safe drug for me.

I was wondering if there are any other Avodart users in my age range and am especially interested in anyone who has been on it for an extended period, experienced sheds, etc.

Thanks in advance for your input.

hunter56, your situation is identical to mine. i am 40 y.o. and have been on propecia for 12 years. i had no side effects with propecia but have been experiencing tremendous shedding for last 6 months. as of today i took avodart for the first time and i would also like to hear from other users. i also started with ketaconazole shampoo 2% about 6 weeks ago (1-2 times per week). not sure if this has contributed to the accelerated shedding.

please keep us posted on your progress.

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

Sounds good guys. I will do my best to update my progress here also. I am about 1 month in at this point. I am going to ad 1% Nizoral shampoo- 3 X per week into the mix and I am taking some Biotin each day. Not sure that will do much, but have heard some claim it promotes healthy hair/skin.

The sides I have felt so far are a bit of fatigue some level of fogginess. I have been taking the Avodart at night because when I flirted with it about a year ago I remember the sides being most prevelant while I was at work as I was taking it in the AM. Thusfar, I think taking it in the evening is working out better for me.

Ideally, I am just looking for a simple regiment to follow through my 40's as I had in my 30's. I am going to try to stick with the Avodart for a full year, unless the sides or any adverse results force me to switch back to fin.

I'm one month in on the Avodart. Technically three weeks as I had to refresh my supply but was out of town. The folks at medical wellness, who have been very responsive overall with any questions, told me not to worry about missing the week given the long half life. Not much to report as yet. A bit more sluggish than when I was on propecia (never noticed any sides there). I have felt the pull a few times to just go back on the propecia I was on for 12 yrs, but trying to stick with the Avodart for a year unless there are any major issues or sides.

I have been on it for almost a week now. I also feel a bit sluggish but I'm not sure if it's because of the Avodart or because everyone around me is getting sick.

I am in my early forties and I use avodart. Have done for about 2/3 years.

Before that I did use a generic version of Avodart from India called Dutas ( avodart is also called Dutasteride ). I did not like the fact it was shipped from a pacific island ( heat,storage, etc..)

I tried propecia - nothing impressive there.

I would say that with Avodart - lots of finer hairs sprung up around my crown and hairloss was pretty much halted elsewhere.

No side affects to report.

has anyone tried cycling avodart and propecia? would this be a way to minimize the side effects of avodart but still benefit from it?

also, for those who did experience side effects with avodart, how soon after you started taking it did the side effects start to show?

Hunter56 - I did not notice any sheds. I think it is the best med I have used. I tried propecia and monoxidol and was not that impressed. I take it every day but I am reviewing that as there is lots of stuff on the web about its half life. Apparently, it stays in the blood for months compared to days/weeks for propecia. That being the case, you could miss odd days and still get all the benefits and reduced cost ! I am still researching that bit.

Drew - I used Dr Reddy's but I must admit the generic version was not as effective as the original. It was cheaper then I questioned if Indian production techniques would match those of western countries when it comes to quality control.

Shyguy - I have not cycled but when Avodart is so superior , why pop propecia. Try propecia and if it dont work then I would try Avodart.

I also use Green tea, soya products as they block DHT naturally. Other natural products are saw palmetto.

This is interesting. I'm curious as to what dosage you guys are taking with Avodart. Have your HT doctors been receptive to the switch from Propecia?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group

I am taking .5 everyday. I don't find the HT docs want to give a strong opinion on Avodart vs Propecia. I think they want you to be on something, but will not cast a strong opinion either way.

Originally posted by Mop:

Hunter56 - I did not notice any sheds. I think it is the best med I have used. I tried propecia and monoxidol and was not that impressed. I take it every day but I am reviewing that as there is lots of stuff on the web about its half life. Apparently, it stays in the blood for months compared to days/weeks for propecia. That being the case, you could miss odd days and still get all the benefits and reduced cost ! I am still researching that bit.

Drew - I used Dr Reddy's but I must admit the generic version was not as effective as the original. It was cheaper then I questioned if Indian production techniques would match those of western countries when it comes to quality control.

Shyguy - I have not cycled but when Avodart is so superior , why pop propecia. Try propecia and if it dont work then I would try Avodart.

I also use Green tea, soya products as they block DHT naturally. Other natural products are saw palmetto.

Mop - the reason i would like to learn more about cycling propecia and avodart is to minimize the potential side effects of avodart but still benefit from the dual action. i have been on propecia since 1997 and started noticing significant shedding for about a year which has accelerated considerably within the past few months. i've been on avodart for one week now and i'm not sure how long it will take to notice the side effects, if any. i just want to be cautious. the HT doctor told me that the sides revert back to normal if you discontinue avodart, but i'm not sure how long it would take to return to normal.

since the half life of avodart is longer, i was looking for advice on taking avodart for one week straight (loading phase) then taper down to 2-3 times per week with propecia on the other days. any comments?

thanks.

Hunter, we're in exactly the same situation. I'm 39 and have been on Propecia since it became FDA approved. I've noticed increased shedding over the last 2 1/2 years. Up to that point, my hair loss was pretty much stopped by Propecia. Dr. Wong did my last surgery and I called his office today asking for an Avodart prescription. I didn't speak with him directly but was told that Dr. Wong doesn't like to prescribe Avodart to people that could still potentially want to have kids because the drug could severely and permanently decrease sperm count. Again, I didn't speak to Dr. Wong directly. One of his assistants called me back. I don't want kids but I guess I appreciate his concern but I've never read anything about this side effect. I have experienced a decrease in ejaculation ever since I started taking Propecia but haven't had any other side effects.

Since Avodart isn't approved as a drug to stop hair loss, where is everyone getting prescriptions from? Can you purchase the generic version from a US drug company? Thanks in advance for your answers and keep us posted on your experience Hunter.

Mike,

I received my prescription from medical wellness. I believe it cost me 75$ for the initial prescription, but I was able to use my insurance and the 30 day supply only cost 50$. I now have 11 refills I can get from my local pharmacy so pretty much all set for the first year. Overall it was an easy process and convenient.

As far as updates, I will say the tiredness, and "hangover" feeling I was having for the first few weeks seems to have tapered off and overall I am feeling pretty good. I have done a couple lifting workouts and felt fine. Have not done much cardio, but will probably get in a run or two over the next few days so will see how that goes.

I think I am shedding a bit more than when I was on propecia. Not a tremendous difference, but I feel like I am seeing more in my towel, etc during my morning prep which is really the only thing I use as a guage. I need to take some pictures over the next few days to get a true baseline I can judge against.

Hunter