Topical Finasteride

Born2Shine

Anyone here try the topical finasteride from H&W? The claim is that the vehicle helps keep the Fina in the scalp and from going systematic. Anyone know the status on this becoming available in the US?

Been meaning to call their office for more info...

Anyone here try the topical finasteride from H&W? The claim is that the vehicle helps keep the Fina in the scalp and from going systematic. Anyone know the status on this becoming available in the US?

Been meaning to call their office for more info...

You can buy it from Italy...farmacia parati or something like that, costs a lot though so I decided not to bother.

Does anyone know much about the results? Are they supposed to be better than Minoxidil, or the same? Are they comparable to fin in pill form (minus the sides)?

And is it also 2x daily forever like Min?

I'm only just starting to hear about it recently.

I've been waiting patiently for this. I'm in the US and called their office a few weeks ago. I offered to go in for the prescription, but the receptionist said they won't/can't give it to anyone in the US until they find a pharmacy to compound it here. She said that was taking longer than expected, and estimated maybe another 3-4 months until that happens. Unfortunately 3-4 months was what they estimated back in March, so who knows when it'll be available :(

As for efficacy, it's supposed to be roughly as effective as oral finasteride. I haven't heard of it being applied twice per day, in fact I think I read that it's used only a few times per week.

As for efficacy, it's supposed to be roughly as effective as oral finasteride. I haven't heard of it being applied twice per day, in fact I think I read that it's used only a few times per week.

Oh man, that sounds amazing. So not available in the US as yet, but it is available in Canada? Might be worth the trip up north if that's the case.

Oh man, that sounds amazing. So not available in the US as yet, but it is available in Canada? Might be worth the trip up north if that's the case.

Just to clarify: it's available in Canada but only for Canadian residents. I offered to fly to Vancouver to get the prescription but was told they can't give it to me because I don't live there. Have to wait until they have a US pharmacy to supply it to US residents.

I have heard a lot about topical finasteride over time and while it's supposedly "roughly" as effective as oral finasteride, I am a bit skeptical. Applying finasteride to the scalp means that it would have to absorb far enough into the skin to block any DHT from getting to the hair follicle roots. Why not just take oral finasteride that will reduce the actual production of DHT making it far less likely to get to the scalp in the first place. But I understand the fear of side effects. But I would suspect there's a possibility of similar side effects with topical finasteride as I'm sure it gets in the bloodstream...but probably not as much quantity.

Best wishes,

Bill

In fairness H&W are trying to develop a liposomal formula for their topical finasteride. Liposome formulations are not entirely new and do have scientific and clinical precedence. They have been particularly studied in diseases like cancer, where it would be much more desirable to have say a chemotherapy reach only the target tissue and be unable to spread too widely and cause toxicity to other parts of the body.

The scalp is an excellent way to deliver medication, which when it comes to finasteride has been the problem. A standard topical formula is about as likely to lower serum DHT as an oral tablet, which negates the point of topical (and was the reason finasteride was eventually created as a pill, despite being researched as a topical).

However in principle a finasteride formula that could be "anchored" to the scalp would vastly reduce the lowering of serum DHT whilst still successfully reducing DHT concentrations in the scalp and follicles.

I think H&W are still having some teething troubles developing the topical but I do believe it could be an exciting new way of delivering finasteride with less side effects, but hopefully as effectively. To my knowledge it's used 2-3 times a week and a study the doctors did suggested that it lowered serum DHT to the "equivalent" of taking two finasteride tablets a month whilst still dramatically reducing scalp DHT - it's the equivalent of lowering serum DHT by only 1/17th or 1/18th that of oral finasteride, but hopefully retaining the local effects as potently.

I hope this could be a real option in the next few months and years but I do think there are some hurdles to overcome. I don't think the clinic have quite perfected the formula yet (though they do have a formula available) and I think more studies and research is required to make sure it's really working, that it offers good efficacy and that it genuinely reduces the likelihood of side effects. Certainly the early signs are encouraging but I think we need to see how the next few months pan out and, it still must be remembered, side effects can and do potentially happy, even if seemingly much rarer.

The science is proven though - drugs have been targeted by using an anchoring liposome formula for years now and better formulations are being developed all the time. It's not a perfect science, but it has made the delivery of some toxic medications much safer in some serious illnesses, particularly those with a clear target like cancer. If we can ultimately develop a finasteride that works pretty much exclusively at the scalp/follicle level with little-to-no reduction of circulating DHT and produce consistent results with that, I have no doubt it'll be a game changer - and it seems we're closing in on that goal.

I tried the topical finasteride in hopes of decreased side effects that I was getting from Propecia... I got all the same side effects with the topical solution unfortunately.

If you don't mind my asking, how long were you on topical fin, how often were you using it, how long had you been off oral propecia prior to that? And if you were using topical for long enough to gauge, did you have positive results?

Any other thoughts or opinions on it?

I tried the topical finasteride in hopes of decreased side effects that I was getting from Propecia... I got all the same side effects with the topical solution unfortunately.

Was this Hasson & Wong's or another topical fin? If it was H&W's, what was the concentration percentage and did you try to get a lower concentration made?

• 1 month later...

I've been using a low dose (.1mg) finasteride spray daily for about 2 months after experiencing sexual side effects from systemic 1.25mg finasteride about 10 years ago.

I've experienced no side effects, but also have not not noticed any improvement. If anything, it may have caused me to shed a bit. Will continue to use it.

• 3 weeks later...
I am trying topical Azelaic acid first... I was pretty close to completing my prescription with HW since I live in Vancouver, but chickened out.. I just can't go near that stuff.

Any news with the Azalaic acid?

Same with the H&W gel... i realllly want to try it but I'm scared as hell..... but I still am open to it..... but, not many seemed to have used it? not much feedback from users on it..?????

No one here is using H&W's liposomal topical finasteride? Why not??

Don't know much about H&W's liposomal topical finasteride. What dosage is it? What type of fluid is it: spray, gel, etc.? I know that Dr. Carlos Wesley offers, among other things, a .5mg topical finasteride spray. I'm not sure how H&W's differs from Dr. Wesley. Being somewhat ignorant of chemistry, I'm not sure what "liposomal" means.

Do H&W offer their topical finasteride to non-patients in the United States? Does it require a prescription?

Don't know much about H&W's liposomal topical finasteride. What dosage is it? What type of fluid is it: spray, gel, etc.? I know that Dr. Carlos Wesley offers, among other things, a .5mg topical finasteride spray. I'm not sure how H&W's differs from Dr. Wesley. Being somewhat ignorant of chemistry, I'm not sure what "liposomal" means.

Do H&W offer their topical finasteride to non-patients in the United States? Does it require a prescription?

Answered my own question with a little Googling. No, it is not available yet in the U.S. as of April 21, 2016.

Wonder if H&W have any updates in this regard. Also, they list the price as $255 (Canadian). I wonder how much of a supply the cost covers. If it's only 1 month, it is extremely expensive and perhaps cost-prohibitive for most.

https://hassonandwong.com/topical-finasteride-solution-prescription/

Any news with the Azalaic acid?

Same with the H&W gel... i realllly want to try it but I'm scared as hell..... but I still am open to it..... but, not many seemed to have used it? not much feedback from users on it..?????

It has only been about 2 months, but tbh, I think AA works. A bunch of baby hairs started to grow in my hairline where it wasn't present before, within the area that I got my HT. I know it isn't my HT hair because the texture is diff. It is as if these hairs thickened up from the AA. I can't be 100% certain as it has only been a couple of months. The only real way to tell for me is by maintaining, since I don't have any issue areas since my HT.

• 2 weeks later...
Answered my own question with a little Googling. No, it is not available yet in the U.S. as of April 21, 2016.

Wonder if H&W have any updates in this regard. Also, they list the price as $255 (Canadian). I wonder how much of a supply the cost covers. If it's only 1 month, it is extremely expensive and perhaps cost-prohibitive for most.

https://hassonandwong.com/topical-finasteride-solution-prescription/

It's 3 month supply

I have been provided with one topic finasteride to give it a try, in my case not because the side effects of the pill, but because the oral version seems that has decreases its efficacy after many years of using it.

But I just realized that the concentration of finasteride in the gel is stated as 2.5%. This seems a lot to me, since (if i'm not wrong) 1ml of the gel translate to 25mg of the active product. Even assuming that the absortion of the scalp is far from 100%, it sounds like a lot. I also read some scientific literature, and they use lower concentrations to check out the effect of the med.

Those other people that are using the finasteride gel (or hear about it), can you share the concentration?

thanks!