Dr. Wong-3801 FUE- 8.5 months post-op

This patient recently stopped by to show his result and discuss another FUE procedure to address his crown. He is very pleased with the outcome and will be back later this year or early next to add coverage to the crown. Dr. Wong estimates 2,500 to 3,000 grafts should do it. Considering the area to cover and his fine hair, the result made quite a significant cosmetic impact. The 3801 graft breakdown: 994 single hair grafts, 2162 doubles, 632 triples, 13 four hair grafts.

1-ba-f.jpg

3-ba-f-t.jpg

5-ba-f-k.jpg

7-ba-l.jpg

9-ba-l-90.jpg

11-ba-r.jpg

13-ba-t.jpg

15-back-comb.jpg

16-post-op-fue-donor-right.jpg

17-post-op-fue-donor-left.jpg

18-post-op-fue-top.jpg

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

Doug:

Thank you for sharing a more developed Hasson & Wong FUE result. This is helpful for researching patients.

However, a few curious questions and comments: the patient undoubtedly experienced growth from the FUE. But the overall transformation appears less dramatic than what we have come to expect from Dr Wong and Dr Hasson's very large surgeries. Are patients being told the totality of the results will be equivalent for FUE and FUT procedures of similar graft numbers? Would this patient have been informed that an approximate 4,000 graft FUE case would provide the same aesthetic benefit as a 4,000 graft FUT? Or is there a separate theory and set of expectations for the FUE surgeries?

Why did this patient select a FUE procedure above a FUT procedure? I would theorize that his age and hair styling after the procedure would be well suited for FUT? Was he not an acceptable candidate for this method?

I thank you for continuing to answer my questions. I always found Dr Hasson and Dr Wong's FUT work to be exceptional, and the former is on a very short list of doctors I want to perform my own procedure. I also apologize if my analysis does seem somewhat hypercritical. It is not my intention. Only to gain a better understanding of the FUE changes at the clinic.

Research, research, research!

Doctors I'm considering:

FUT:

-Feller

-Hasson

-Konior

Regardless of the method being FUT or FUE, the coverage would have been the same. 3800 grafts is not a whole lot for a NW7. The results look good in that the yield looks like what it should for that many grafts and that coverage. I would imagine with the hair quality, and number of grafts, after this patients 2nd FUE surgery, and a total of 6000+ grafts, it would be equivalent to the results of an FUT mega session.

Oh, and he is only 8.5 months in! Still time for some improvement.

• Administrators

There is absolutely no way 4,000 grafts transplanted either FUT or FUE on a completely bald norwood 7 with fine hair will ever create jaw dropping results. With that said, what you have to realize is that Hair Restoration is not perfect and it does have its limitations, in order for you to pull off an FUT mega session of 4K plus grafts you have to have very elastic skin, as you age your skin loses elasticity, that is why most mega sessions are performed on younger men, and to be honest not every person can get 2-3 FUT surgeries, this is all dependent upon skin elasticity. Being completely fair and objective, this gentlemen got a definite improvement and looks a lot better which is what it's all about i'm sure he is happy. Personally, I think it's great that H&W are doing FUE now because it will only benefit the Hair Restoration community.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

This is a solid result. I wouldn't mind betting this man has at least 250cm2 of real estate to cover, maybe closer to 300cm2. No hair transplant in the world is going to cover all that with density.

I think another few thousand to the crown will complete the transition and help smooth everything over. This man is virtually a NW7 with significant temporal recession too, so to go from that to full coverage is impressive. This is about as good as it gets for 3,800 grafts, and he looks pleased!

I'm assuming 3,801 FUE grafts were taken over 2 days, correct??

Correct Dutchie

Why is there no photo of the crown after? Can we see what the back looks like, like if we were standing behind him?

Since we didn't transplant the crown and there is no difference between the before and after standing behind him I didn't feel there was any value in posting basically two of the same photo.

I am a salaried employee of Hasson and Wong since 2001. Opinions expressed are my own.

Hassonandwong.com

• 4 weeks later...

Doug,

How many grafts would he have left?

You said another 2500 - 3000 grafts would finish him off... Is that all he had left for donor?

Either way thanks for showing this result gives a reasonable expectation for higher norwoods.