Propecia once per week?

acman1882

Hi guys,

I recently saw a highly respected hair transplant surgeon in UK.

I've tried taking propecia several times before (but kept getting side effects).

The doc suggested I could take the medication once per week.

Do you any of you do this? Has this dosage been enough to re-grow hair while preventing side-effects?

Thanks for the help.

• Moderators

I don't think once per week is enough, but you can either take a smaller dose such as .5mg every day or 1mg every other day or even every 3 days and it usually won't make much difference in terms of working, but it can make a difference in the side effects.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Thanks for the replies. Side-effects were loss of libido on 1mg of propecia.

I tried taking propecia every other day and even once every three days but still gave me side-effects to be honest.

I could be wrong but I think when Proscar was first used for prostate issues it was taken only 2 or 3 times a week in the 5 mg form. This resulted in some people regrowing their hair.

I think as a minimum you could have some slowing down of hair loss with 2 doses a week, let's say 1mg a time.

As you can see I take small amounts and have barely any side effects (brain fog / concentration issues) compared to when I take it daily. In 3.5 years of use I do not appear to have lost any noticeable, additional native hair.

If you only take 1 tablet a week it is probably still worth it. The guy who presents the bald truth takes 5 mg once per week.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

• 2 weeks later...

It's probably going to have some benefit, just not as much as taking it 5 or 7 days a week.

If I remember rightly Propecia worked about the same at 0.2mg per day as it did about 1mg per day, so perhaps something more like 1978matt's routine might work better (a quarter of a pill 2-3 times a week) than a whole pill once a week.

I don't think anybody really knows with absolute accuracy, to be honest. The 1mg/once daily regime was settled upon after scientific study as the most effective and easiest regime (taking one pill once a day is fairly straightforward). But some take it every other day, some once a week, three days on three days off etc.

Bottom line is finding a dose you can tolerate without sides. The only issue is, the less you take Propecia the less likely it is to have an overall long-term effect. But even a little effect may mean your hairloss slows down and it might buy you some more time with your hair and make planning any procedures a bit easier.

• 2 weeks later...
If I remember rightly Propecia worked about the same at 0.2mg per day as it did about 1mg per day, so perhaps something more like 1978matt's routine might work better (a quarter of a pill 2-3 times a week) than a whole pill once a week.

I think I saw the same study. At one point i was taking just 0.2 mg every third day. I feel this was less effective for me than 1.25 mg/day. Finding your own sweet spot may take some time.

• 1 year later...
Thanks for the replies. Side-effects were loss of libido on 1mg of propecia.

I tried taking propecia every other day and even once every three days but still gave me side-effects to be honest.

If you had only tried Propecia on a daily dose, then I would say to try it ever day, or every three days - but you've already done exactly that. It might be the case that a weekly dose just isn't enough to see any benefits, as you would be spending time with the drug completely out of your system. As you've already tried the reduced frequency that we would have advised you to try, I don't think you have anything to lose by trying the weekly dose.

Echos is correct, Finasteride has been shown to be effective at lower doses so rather than taking 1mg per week it might be more effective to halve the tablet and take 0.5mg every three days. I think you're more likely to have success with the lower dose rather than reducing frequency of the dose any further than you already have.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

What about having blood work done check your DHT levels I have it done at least once every 6months

Mine went from 120 High to 13 super low in a matter of just a few after starting Propecia 1MG a day

My doctor told me i could easily cut the dose in half

What about having blood work done check your DHT levels I have it done at least once every 6months

Mine went from 120 High to 13 super low in a matter of just a few after starting Propecia 1MG a day

My doctor told me i could easily cut the dose in half

I've not heard of many guys going for those tests, so this piqued my curiosity. Did you cut the dose in half?

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

I've not heard of many guys going for those tests, so this piqued my curiosity. Did you cut the dose in half?

No I kept it at 1mg a day reason being is I just starting using it in June not even 6 months wanted to give the stuff a chance to work at the recommended dose

Doctor basically said I could probably get the same results at half the dose but he also said you can keep it at 1 mg also if you like then he went on to say something about the drug having a long half life not really needing to take it everyday

Always me I'm on HRT hormone replacement taking Testosterone and HCG twice a week for about 15yrs already and get complete blood work and follow up every 6 months